Menu

Video based literature?

I don't want a full English course and my son just learns better from actual teaching over reading to himself. I stink at literature. I wish I didn't but it is what it is. I can't afford an actual class.

American lit would be my first choice but any recommendations welcome. Thanks

I don't want a full English course and my son just learns better from actual teaching over reading to himself.

Not sure what you mean. He would have to read the actual literature... or are you looking for a video that reads him the book?

Reading the book is the main part of studying literature. 

Edited by regentrude

Not sure what you mean. He would have to read the actual literature... or are you looking for a video that reads him the book?

Reading the book is the main part of studying literature.

Ok sorry that wasn't clear. I mean the analysis that is read. Like learning language arts through literature. It was ok for my older one although quite dull but I really don't think it will work for this one. Reading the actual literature is of course fine although we might use some audio books too due to slow reading speed. But I despise lit analysis. Hated it in school and still hate it now. So I need something to help out with that part. And I like the idea of touching on more books than he can actually read all of. And adding in short stories and poems. Stuff I just really don't do on my own as much as I wish I did.

I have not liked a single all in one English that we have tried and he is happy with IEW and we are adding Jensens punctuation this year for grammar. He is also finishing up rod and staff spelling 8(dyslexic so behind there but doing well).

It's just the lit that we get stuck on every time. And if there was some great teacher out there that was dynamic and excited about the topics I really feel it would be better.(since that is NOT me, although I love to read and my kids do too. It's the other stuff we are supposed to do that drags us down. I wish I could just do it naturally but after all these years I know myself and we don't do anything but read. And maybe say if we liked it or not 😳)

Edited by busymama7

Hey BusyMama7 -- I have a very different idea for you. I hope you'll consider it.

It's called Movies as Literature.  It's so good that I included it in our day even though my boys already have a writing/reading program. Here's how it works: Day 1 -- you watch the movie, Day 2 -- you do blah, blah.

It's all laid out for you -- and by each Day 6 your child is writing answers to specific questions about the movies. The book teaches about themes, metaphors, character development etc.

Instead of analyzing a book, you're analyzing and then writing about a movie. I've been doing it w/ my kids (both rising 9th graders) and I've learned a ton. Everything you learn about how to analyze a movie can be transferred to analyzing books.

Anyway, it's super cool and inexpensive. It's often sold in Christian bookstores, but I think secular homeschoolers would love it too.

Alley

• Like 3

Have you looked at Great Courses? The ones we tried were fabulous. Check out this one:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/classics-of-american-literature.html

Yes I keep coming back to this one but several of the lectures deal with sexuality/libido and Im just not comfortable with that for this kid. I'm not going to explain or defend that 😉

I was wondering if there was something else out there that was similar but maybe geared more for early high school.

Edited by busymama7

Hey BusyMama7 -- I have a very different idea for you. I hope you'll consider it.

It's called Movies as Literature. It's so good that I included it in our day even though my boys already have a writing/reading program. Here's how it works: Day 1 -- you watch the movie, Day 2 -- you do blah, blah.

It's all laid out for you -- and by each Day 6 your child is writing answers to specific questions about the movies. The book teaches about themes, metaphors, character development etc.

Instead of analyzing a book, you're analyzing and then writing about a movie. I've been doing it w/ my kids (both rising 9th graders) and I've learned a ton. Everything you learn about how to analyze a movie can be transferred to analyzing books.

Anyway, it's super cool and inexpensive. It's often sold in Christian bookstores, but I think secular homeschoolers would love it too.

Alley

This looks really fun. It seems like it would be very time consuming? We don't have time for full movies on our school days. Also it seems I wohdk still be stuck leading discussions. I have to know my weakness. This is just not something I'm going to do well. At all 😬

How old is your son? What grade is he in?

15. Sophomore. He's a math and science guy all the way. Wants to be an engineer and spends all his free time tinkering and creating. So this is a just get it done kind of a thing. But also I feel it's pretty important since he won't get much of it later. Now is the time you know?

Crash Course had Lit videos - here is the one for The Odyssey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4jk5kavy4

I had never seen these but I've seen some other Crash Course videos and, while irreverent, I doubt that they are too focused on sexuality. ETA: At least, not more than hitting on what is in the text. As in, if my son is old enough to read The Odyssey, then I think he's old enough to watch this. But ymmv.

Edited by Liza Q

How about Teaching the Classics with the Jill Pike syllabus?

It is all laid out for you and breaks up the videos in 6 week chunks.

https://www.writingexcellence.nz/uploads/99946/files/TCS_Lesson_Plans.pdf

Also Center for Lit has Classics Clubs videos that are lengthy Socratic discussions for a particular novel. It's meant to be watched after reading the book. There is a download that you can use for writing ideas and other extensions for the book.

https://www.centerforlit.com/classics-club/

• Like 1

Essentials in Literature has DVD lessons to go with the literature being read.

9th grade covers:

7 short stories

4 non-fiction works

1 novel (The Hobbit)

16 poems by 14 different poets

10th grade (coming in August) covers:

short stories:

8 short stories

3 dramas

1 novel (To Kill a Mockingbird)

13 poems by 13 different authors

The Teaching Company: The Great Courses

Video or audio lecture series -- often available for free checkout at your local library -- on intro college level / general adult interest on a variety of subjects. No discussion or writing assignment supports, no scheduling -- more of a "major influences and themes on these key authors" type of resource. Here are American Literature lecture series.

Other ideas:

Perhaps this is just an area you'll need to "suck it up" and either schedule time and do it with your student (use a program that has a lot of parent helps to maximize your involvement), OR, save up and spend the money on a good online course that also includes Writing with the Literature, so your student is getting a lot of good feedback and learning in both areas.

Do you have another sibling who is 1-2 years younger/older so you can combine their Literature, which streamlines their schedules so that you doing discussion with them "kills 2 birds with 1 stone"?

Look around at what is available to you locally:

- hire a retired homeschool mom to come in once a week to do Lit. with your student

- a homeschool co-op or book club for supporting the discussion

- see if your student can participate in 1-2 individual classes at the local public, private, or charter high school

Otherwise, go with a program that is as independent-working as possible, and use resources like Sparknotes or Cliff's Notes to get YOU up to speed quickly for discussions. (They have a summary for each chapter and then analysis of major themes in each chapter which you can use to spark discussion with your student -- both are secular resources, so there is often a feminist or Freudian/sexual focus, but you can skip over that and pick out other meaty themes and ideas to discuss).

More Independent Lit. Programs:

- Lightning Literature -- 1 semester programs; 3 American Lit. programs to choose from

- Excellence in Literature: American Lit - 1 year program

• Like 2

OK - actually, there is a definitely a discussion of sexuality. I think it's appropriate considering what actually happens in The Odyssey. But I'm glad that I found them as I may use a few for my son, who is 17 and will be a senior.

...But I despise lit analysis. Hated it in school and still hate it now. So I need something to help out with that part. And I like the idea of touching on more books than he can actually read all of. And adding in short stories and poems. Stuff I just really don't do on my own as much as I wish I did.

Wow, I am always SO sad to hear people say that. :( There is so much depth, beauty, truth, wisdom to be experienced in reading and thinking deeply about literature! Sounds like somewhere along the line, someone in your school days tried to reduce reading and appreciating literature and the wonderful language and images to something like a math equation -- "this equals that" or "this means that". :(

Hope you and DS will find the resources that will help your literature explorations be an exciting adventure. Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 3

Wow, I am always SO sad to hear people say that. :( There is so much depth, beauty, truth, wisdom to be experienced in reading and thinking deeply about literature! Sounds like somewhere along the line, someone in your school days tried to reduce reading and appreciating literature and the wonderful language and images to something like a math equation -- "this equals that" or "this means that". :(

Hope you and DS will find the resources that will help your literature explorations be an exciting adventure. Warmest regards, Lori D.

I agree that there can be lots to learn when diving into literature. "I" am absolutely a math/science person and while I understand how to look at literature, I am basically incapable of teaching or leading others through the discussion.

What has opened up literature analysis so much to my math/science boys is Center for Lit. I know you (the OP) said you can't afford a class, so this is probably out, but there is usually a free sample on the website and there is a King Lear course for free that you can sign up and do in August. This would at least get your son an exposure and free is always good. Center for Lit connected so well with my gifted math son that after taking a year off from it, he asked to go back to it saying it caused him to think differently about EVERYTHING he read - not just what he read for class.

• Like 2

Discussions like this always get me to go down some new trails. I just decided that I need to own Movies as Literature - perfect for my young dyslexic high schooler, lover of movies and literature. Also - Old Western Culture intrigues me - especially some of the yet to be produced modules.

• Like 3

I was going to suggest Movies as Literature, mentioned above. Or,  as others have mentioned, there are lots of Great Courses - we're going to be doing the new Utopian and Dystopian Lit course this year. That might not be a great fit content-wise, but browse their literature offerings, maybe.

My rising ninth grader's Great Courses (Plus) faves:  Dorsey Armstrong's Analysis and Critique, Great Utopian and Dystopia Works in Literature, Heroes and Legends, How to Read and Understand Shakespeare.  Remember that you can pick and choose lectures!

She also liked The Tolkien Professor and Michael Drout.

How to Read Like a Professor was also throughly enjoyed.

Best of luck, OP.  

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 3

My rising ninth grader's Great Courses (Plus) faves: Dorsey Armstrong's Analysis and Critique, Great Utopian and Dystopia Works in Literature, Heroes and Legends, How to Read and Understand Shakespeare. Remember that you can pick and choose lectures!

She also liked The Tolkien Professor and Michael Drout.

How to Read Like a Professor was also throughly enjoyed.

Best of luck, OP.

Thanks. The Tolkien professor is FREE?!?!

And yes if I end up with the one from GC I will probably eliminate some lectures but I'm not really wanting to have to preview etc. we just are so cramped for time. So I was looking for other options.

• Like 1

Yeah I know. I find it sad too. I love to read and have read voraciously all my life. But there is just something about having to discuss it with pressure that make me nuts. When we read together we do talk about what we read. But anything forced like the questions in guides just makes me totally shut down. I can't even fake it and do it anyways. I've tried. Over 15 years of it.
  • Like 1

I agree that there can be lots to learn when diving into literature. "I" am absolutely a math/science person and while I understand how to look at literature, I am basically incapable of teaching or leading others through the discussion.

What has opened up literature analysis so much to my math/science boys is Center for Lit. I know you (the OP) said you can't afford a class, so this is probably out, but there is usually a free sample on the website and there is a King Lear course for free that you can sign up and do in August. This would at least get your son an exposure and free is always good. Center for Lit connected so well with my gifted math son that after taking a year off from it, he asked to go back to it saying it caused him to think differently about EVERYTHING he read - not just what he read for class.

I was getting so excited looking at the center for lit courses until I saw the price. Maybe next year. My husband started a new business and things are just tight right at the moment.

How about Teaching the Classics with the Jill Pike syllabus?

It is all laid out for you and breaks up the videos in 6 week chunks.

https://www.writingexcellence.nz/uploads/99946/files/TCS_Lesson_Plans.pdf

Also Center for Lit has Classics Clubs videos that are lengthy Socratic discussions for a particular novel. It's meant to be watched after reading the book. There is a download that you can use for writing ideas and other extensions for the book.

https://www.centerforlit.com/classics-club/

Ok I *own* teaching the classics but have never gotten more than 20 or so minutes in. Every summer I think ok. I'm going to watch this and figure out how to actually do this. And yet I don't. Partly because I have no time alone to watch and learn. I had no idea they could watch it with me! This seems doable. Thank you.

I will look again at center for lit as this sounds like previous discussions and not the class I was looking at earlier.

• Like 1

Essentials in Literature has DVD lessons to go with the literature being read.

9th grade covers:

7 short stories

4 non-fiction works

1 novel (The Hobbit)

16 poems by 14 different poets

10th grade (coming in August) covers:

short stories:

8 short stories

3 dramas

1 novel (To Kill a Mockingbird)

13 poems by 13 different authors

The Teaching Company: The Great Courses

Video or audio lecture series -- often available for free checkout at your local library -- on intro college level / general adult interest on a variety of subjects. No discussion or writing assignment supports, no scheduling -- more of a "major influences and themes on these key authors" type of resource. Here are American Literature lecture series.

Other ideas:

Perhaps this is just an area you'll need to "suck it up" and either schedule time and do it with your student (use a program that has a lot of parent helps to maximize your involvement), OR, save up and spend the money on a good online course that also includes Writing with the Literature, so your student is getting a lot of good feedback and learning in both areas.

Do you have another sibling who is 1-2 years younger/older so you can combine their Literature, which streamlines their schedules so that you doing discussion with them "kills 2 birds with 1 stone"?

Look around at what is available to you locally:

- hire a retired homeschool mom to come in once a week to do Lit. with your student

- a homeschool co-op or book club for supporting the discussion

- see if your student can participate in 1-2 individual classes at the local public, private, or charter high school

Otherwise, go with a program that is as independent-working as possible, and use resources like Sparknotes or Cliff's Notes to get YOU up to speed quickly for discussions. (They have a summary for each chapter and then analysis of major themes in each chapter which you can use to spark discussion with your student -- both are secular resources, so there is often a feminist or Freudian/sexual focus, but you can skip over that and pick out other meaty themes and ideas to discuss).

More Independent Lit. Programs:

- Lightning Literature -- 1 semester programs; 3 American Lit. programs to choose from

- Excellence in Literature: American Lit - 1 year program

Thank you. It is not that we don't have time to do it. We do. I've bought programs and sat down to do it. But I think the questions are so stupid I just can't do it. And end up skipping most of it.

Im looking closely at these options. Thanks

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 2

I was getting so excited looking at the center for lit courses until I saw the price. Maybe next year. My husband started a new business and things are just tight right at the moment.

I understand.

Definitely watch Teaching the Classics with your high schooler if you already own it. You can simply do it together.

Check out the free class on Center for LIt for August - they do a free younger and older class every summer. Even if you never do Center for Lit, you'll get something out of the free class. If you do think you want to do Center for Lit in the future, get on their mailing list as they give a good discount if you sign up early for the next year.

• Like 2

Thank guy Lori D for the link to great course. I had not found most of those. I like the looks of this one:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/literature-language/american-literature/great-american-bestsellers-the-books-that-shaped-america.html

I also really like the look of essentials in literature. We were planning on to kill a mockingbird anyways this year but I know I won't do it justice on my own.

• Like 2

I understand.

Definitely watch Teaching the Classics with your high schooler if you already own it. You can simply do it together.

Check out the free class on Center for LIt for August - they do a free younger and older class every summer. Even if you never do Center for Lit, you'll get something out of the free class. If you do think you want to do Center for Lit in the future, get on their mailing list as they give a good discount if you sign up early for the next year.

Yes we will. I'm so happy about that as I just can't seem to make it happen plus I'm intimidated. If it's their school it will get done 😉

and we will try the free class too. That is so great. And maybe some of the pre recorded one, probably huck Finn. I'm getting excited! Feeling like I can do several of these options.

He is doing the theme based IEW American history writing lessons. We started around March or April after switching gears from total language plus which we didn't like. I keep debating about getting the lit one that goes along but I just get hung up on wanting to be *taught* it and not just read along in the guide.

Thank you. It is not that we don't have time to do it. We do. I've bought programs and sat down to do it. But I think the questions are so stupid I just can't do it. And end up skipping most of it.

Im looking closely at these options. Thanks

From your additional helpful info, I'm guessing a program is probably not the answer for your family. :)

You might want to take a look at Reader's Odyssey, a guide to making your own literature program with the books of your choosing.

You may find that doing some background research on the author/times, and getting a feel for major themes in the work, or in the author's body of work is a more helpful starting point for you and your DS to give you more information to work with as you think about/talk about the works.

Individual lit. guides for the works you want to cover can also be helpful -- I used those to just skim through to find a handful of questions or ideas that I felt would be useful for "springboarding" us into discussion, or helped us consider something we had not seen or wouldn't have seen without the guide pointing it out. Also, I would run across a writing assignment here and there that would work for us as a prompt for a reader response paper or an essay.

Guides I found to be more useful (both for background info on author/times, and some questions):

- Garlic Press Discovering Literature series Challenger level** -- see them here and here

- Glencoe Literature Library guides (free)

Penguin teacher guides (free)

** = for a fee; the challenger level are meatier and of high school level; the regular guides are lighter and for gr. 5-8; each challenger guide has good background info about the author/times/work; a summary of each chapter (helpful for parent who doesn't have time to read every chapter of every book); discussion (rather than "fill in the blank" or comprehension) questions for each chapter; helpful informational articles in each guide on literary elements and literature topics and how they relate to the work being read; and a variety of writing assignment ideas -- there was almost always at least one that was a good fit for us

And some other resources for specific purposes:

Parallel Shakespeare -- the parallel text, the teacher guide, and student workbook

Brightest Invention of Heaven: Christian Guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays -- high school/adult guide

Art of Poetry (Classical Academic Press)

Intro to Poetry: Forms and Elements (Progeny Press)

How to Read a Poem (Runyan)

We went "DIY" for our Lit. all through high school (not a formal program), and really enjoyed our discussions -- often the best discussions were unprompted, not during school time, but while we were driving somewhere, or around the dinner table.  :) It also REALLY helped having 2 DSs doing the same lit. at the same time, so discussions involved 3 of us, mutually reading/discussing, rather than it being something stilted like: "Me teacher, you student, you class of one on the hot seat for answering all discussion questions!"

PS -- Just thought of a another source of FREE lectures on Literature -- Mythgard (which also has free lectures from guests on topics related to Literature) -- Mythgard is the bigger/fuller website of The Tolkien Professor, which was linked by a previous poster:

JRR Tolkien:

- The Hobbit

- The Lord of the Rings trilogy: Fellowship of the Ring; The Two Towers; Return of the King

sci-fi

- Ender's Game

- Dune

- The Dispossessed

fantasy:

- Watership Down

- Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell

- Dracula

- The Princess Bride

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

She also liked ... Michael Drout

Thanks for linking this Lisabees!

Just listened to the 5 minute sample of the Michael Drout's "Way With Words: Understanding Poetry" audio -- that sounds like a fantastic lecture series! 14 lectures (8 hr. 17 min.) which first explains "what is poetry," and then runs you through Medieval, Renaissance, Romantic, Victorian, and Modern poets/works. Looks like a bargain at $35 -- or free with a 30-day trial of Audible! 

• Like 2

Thanks for linking this Lisabees!

Just listened to the 5 minute sample of the Michael Drout's "Way With Words: Understanding Poetry" audio -- that sounds like a fantastic lecture series! 14 lectures (8 hr. 17 min.) which first explains "what is poetry," and then runs you through Medieval, Renaissance, Romantic, Victorian, and Modern poets/works. Looks like a bargain at $35 -- or free with a 30-day trial of Audible! 

Yowza!  I helped Lori D!!   :hurray:

• Like 5

From your additional helpful info, I'm guessing a program is probably not the answer for your family. :)

You might want to take a look atReader's Odyssey, a guide to making your own literature program with the books of your choosing.

You may find that doing some background research on the author/times, and getting a feel for major themes in the work, or in the author's body of work is a more helpful starting point for you and your DS to give you more information to work with as you think about/talk about the works.

Individual lit. guides for the works you want to cover can also be helpful -- I used those to just skim through to find a handful of questions or ideas that I felt would be useful for "springboarding" us into discussion, or helped us consider something we had not seen or wouldn't have seen without the guide pointing it out. Also, I would run across a writing assignment here and there that would work for us as a prompt for a reader response paper or an essay.

Guides I found to be more useful (both for background info on author/times, and some questions):

- Garlic Press Discovering Literature series Challenger level** -- see them here and here

- Glencoe Literature Library guides (free)

- Penguin teacher guides (free)

** = for a fee; the challenger level are meatier and of high school level; the regular guides are lighter and for gr. 5-8; each challenger guide has good background info about the author/times/work; a summary of each chapter (helpful for parent who doesn't have time to read every chapter of every book); discussion (rather than "fill in the blank" or comprehension) questions for each chapter; helpful informational articles in each guide on literary elements and literature topics and how they relate to the work being read; and a variety of writing assignment ideas -- there was almost always at least one that was a good fit for us

And some other resources for specific purposes:

- Parallel Shakespeare -- the parallel text, the teacher guide, and student workbook

- Brightest Invention of Heaven: Christian Guide to 6 Shakespeare Plays -- high school/adult guide

- Art of Poetry (Classical Academic Press)

- Intro to Poetry: Forms and Elements (Progeny Press)

- How to Read a Poem (Runyan)

We went "DIY" for our Lit. all through high school (not a formal program), and really enjoyed our discussions -- often the best discussions were unprompted, not during school time, but while we were driving somewhere, or around the dinner table. :) It also REALLY helped having 2 DSs doing the same lit. at the same time, so discussions involved 3 of us, mutually reading/discussing, rather than it being something stilted like: "Me teacher, you student, you class of one on the hot seat for answering all discussion questions!"

PS -- Just thought of a another source of FREE lectures on Literature -- Mythgard (which also has free lectures from guests on topics related to Literature) -- Mythgard is the bigger/fuller website of The Tolkien Professor, which was linked by a previous poster:

JRR Tolkien:

- The Hobbit

- The Lord of the Rings trilogy: Fellowship of the Ring; The Two Towers; Return of the King

sci-fi

- Ender's Game

- Dune

- The Dispossessed

fantasy:

- Watership Down

- Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell

- Dracula

- The Princess Bride

Thank you for this extensive list. I am slowly going through all of it. I think you are right that I don't want a program per se but the diy method has failed here. I mean I have a whole bunch of kids who love to read. All of them despite 3 dyslexics. We read and read and read. But fleshing out books is just something that doesn't happen.

I like the idea of picking and choosing some specific lectures so I'm going with that plan I think. 6 weeks of teaching the classics and then doing some specific books. I just worry that there are so many classic books they should be familiar with that we just haven't read.

the diy method has failed here. I mean I have a whole bunch of kids who love to read. All of them despite 3 dyslexics. We read and read and read. 

Honestly, I'd say there's a lot of success here. You don't have to do lit. analysis every year, or on every book (I really liked the years I went eclectic and just did a guide here or there, and I don't feel it hurt my kids at all.)

Honestly, I'd say there's a lot of success here. You don't have to do lit. analysis every year, or on every book (I really liked the years I went eclectic and just did a guide here or there, and I don't feel it hurt my kids at all.)

Thank you. I do need to remind myself of this when I think of all that I am not doing.