Menu

Stray dog vent/whine. Update.

Miss Peregrine

About 3 months ago my daughter found a stray dog wandering in our neighborhood. He has long tufts of hair hanging off the back of him and he walks funny because his nails are so long. It was literally starving. Her dad told her it could stay here until we found its owner. I posted a pic on a local FB animal page. Is pretty obvious, though, that he has no owner. I said he couldn't stay here because I don't want another dog, this dog hates cats and we have two cats.

I beg and plead on FB for one of the animal lovers to please foster him. No one will take him. :/. The local humane society calls me back and says they will sponsor him. Great, he needs to be fixed. They take care of that. And all his shots, etc. The humane society continues to send me leads.

One family loved him and took him on a 2 week trial. A couple of days in they say his legs are giving out on walks. We didn't notice any of that since he's been here. She asks me to meet her at the vet. Dr. says he probably has dysplasia. And he orders an x-ray. Adoptive owner hands him back to me in the parking lot. That was Friday. Yesterday we dropped him off for the x-ray. Yep, dysplasia.

Who is going to take this dog?! I feel stuck with him and I am annoyed at my dh and daughter. The next animal they find, they can all hit the road together. I DON'T WANT THIS DOG!

Yes, I know I sound like a terrible person.

Edited by Miss Peregrine

I don't think you sound like a terrible person. I also don't understand why you have to keep him. Can't you just say he is lost and leave him at the humane society? What do people normally do with dogs that they find? I can't imagine they just keep them. I don't know much about dogs. I'm sorry you are in this situation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You are not a terrible person. If we all felt responsible to take in every stray animal that crossed our path our homes would all be overrun by animals.

I hope you/someone can find a home for him.

Edited by maize

I don't think you sound like a terrible person. I also don't understand why you have to keep him. Can't you just say he is lost and leave him at the humane society? What do people normally do with dogs that they find? I can't imagine they just keep them. I don't know much about dogs. I'm sorry you are in this situation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We only have the pound here and they have a high-kill rate. The humane society here is not an actual place. Individuals foster the dogs. They offered to pay for his neuter and shots and now he's "theirs."

• Like 3

We only have the pound here and they have a high-kill rate. The humane society here is not an actual place. Individuals foster the dogs. They offered to pay for his neuter and shots and now he's "theirs."

So now you're technically fostering the dog for the humane society?

If so, you can tell them you can no longer foster this dog. The cat issue alone seems like enough reason to find this dog a different foster situation.

• Like 3

Can you call the nearest animal rescue group (even if they're several hours away) and ask if they can take him or recommend another group that can?  I'm not really sure how they work.  Or is he a particular breed?  Often specific breeds have their own regional rescue network.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

We met with the couple that night and they loved him. They filled out an application with the Humane Society. Long weekend so probably won't hear until next week.

Hurray!! I hope the Humane Society approves the adoption.  :)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Henry left last Thursday and is doing great. I texted his new owner yesterday and he sent me a pic and said they had just brought him to meet their whole family.

It's weird not having a dog around. We've had a dog almost our whole marriage. We had ours put down about two months ago so it was just Henry left here.

• Like 9