Menu

update 1 year (plus a few months) after bariatric surgery

ktgrok

Not sure I ever gave a real update. But I'm still thrilled with my choice to have surgery. And now, I'm almost 18 weeks pregnant, and healthier than I've been in years and years. I'm working out, eating well, and very happy. I went from morbidly obese to just overweight, a BMI of 41 to a BMI of 29. And I'm on track with my weight gain right now as well. 

It's not the answer for everyone, and not a solution, it's a tool. But it's also life changing beyond belief, and something I'm so incredibly grateful for. 

• Like 34

Glad to hear it worked so well for you.

thanks. It definitely isn't a cure all that you can just let it do all the work. You have to do the work still, but now the work pays off. When I start to get off course, the scale shows me. If I stick to the basics, I do well. Now, will I ever be 120 pounds and a size 6? No, probably not. Will I be healthy, and active, and "normal"? Yes, and that's what matters. 

Staying on course, means for me, logging my food more often than not. Exercising regularly. Focusing meals on protein, fruits, veggies. Limited carbs but not no carbs. So fruit, yes. Half an ounce of whole grain tortilla chips, beans, 1 slice of whole wheat bread, yes. But again, keeping an eye on the counts so I don't overdo it. And not drinking while eating..that's a big one. A sip or two is fine, but not more than that. 

VERY limited sugar. So sometimes I'll have a single cookie. Not every day. But never more than one. And only if my carbs are already low enough. 

• Like 2

thanks. It definitely isn't a cure all that you can just let it do all the work. You have to do the work still, but now the work pays off. When I start to get off course, the scale shows me. If I stick to the basics, I do well. Now, will I ever be 120 pounds and a size 6? No, probably not. Will I be healthy, and active, and "normal"? Yes, and that's what matters.

Staying on course, means for me, logging my food more often than not. Exercising regularly. Focusing meals on protein, fruits, veggies. Limited carbs but not no carbs. So fruit, yes. Half an ounce of whole grain tortilla chips, beans, 1 slice of whole wheat bread, yes. But again, keeping an eye on the counts so I don't overdo it. And not drinking while eating..that's a big one. A sip or two is fine, but not more than that.

VERY limited sugar. So sometimes I'll have a single cookie. Not every day. But never more than one. And only if my carbs are already low enough.

That is so well put. And I'm impressed by your disciplne.

• Like 1

That is so well put. And I'm impressed by your disciplne.

Honestly, before surgery, I couldn't have done this. My metabolism, gut hormones, something changed and it is now possible. Or rather, I guess I could have, but would have still overeaten. So even when I was low carb, or paleo, I ate way way too much. And then would get annoyed it wasn't working and give up - because why cut out all those foods if I was still gaining weight!

Whatever changed, it's possible now. I can say, no...really shouldn't have that. I COULD NOT DO THAT before surgery. I just couldn't. If I turned down the extra cookie I would have obsessed about it for hours. Seriously. Now, it's just not a big deal. I imagine this is what naturally thin people are like. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Whatever changed, it's possible now. I can say, no...really shouldn't have that. I COULD NOT DO THAT before surgery. I just couldn't. If I turned down the extra cookie I would have obsessed about it for hours. Seriously. Now, it's just not a big deal. I imagine this is what naturally thin people are like. 

I read an article a long time ago (so if I'm off in my details don't shoot me) about gherlin (sp?) that is produced in the lower portion of the stomach.  This substance (not sure what it is classified as) controls or contributes to satiety and food cravings.  They have found it to be present in much higher quantities in obese people than normal weight people.  I have no idea if the gherlin leads to overeating or the overeating causes an increase in production of gherlin, but I've always suspected that since bariatric surgery (and this applies to both the RNY and the BPD/DS since they both alter the lower portion of the stomach) alters that part of the digestion system that it is at least part of the reason that so many surgery patients find their tastes and cravings change after surgery.