Menu

Spinal Headache - Have had two blood patches and still have a headache.

Anyone else here experience this from an epidural? The Anesthesiologist did an epidural to help with pain control from my fall 1.5 yrs ago. Within 4 hours of the epidural I had a headache. I have had one ever since. This was about 6 weeks ago. Quite frankly, this sucks!!!!!!!

I just had my second blood patch done Monday. The headache is still there unless I am on heavy duty pain killers. I am taking it easy. My back hurts from the blood patch. My arm hurts from the demerol shot. My head hurts. Yada. Yada.

Any wonderful suggestions?!?!? The anesthesiologist is aware of the ongoing headache. Our options are limited. Incidentally, we really like him and he has only had to do three blood patches once in his entire career.

Thank you for any prayers.

Michele

Several years ago I had a spinal tap, and developed an unbelievably bad spinal headache. Really more of a horrible neck ache, but it extended from my neck up into the back of my head.

I had one blood patch done, which didn't help. I just suffered it out, and I'm thinking that it took around three weeks for the pain to be completely gone.

I am so sorry you are suffering with this. I will pray that you find relief soon.

Michelle T

I have no suggestions, just hugs!! My dh had a horrible spinal headache which required a blood patch, after treatment for slipped discs. It was horrible, he was not functional for weeks. I remember the big key was for him to stay down, as in horizontal, for several days after the treatment. He only got up to go to the bathroom. I think that helped the blood patch "stick". Ugh, so awful! Praying for you!

I have been drinking mega doses of anything caffeinated for weeks now.

I am spending a ton of time laying down. The problem is that laying down is what brings on the neuropathy which is what the epidural was supposed to help.

I can't do any ibuprofen because of clotting issues right now.

I have been to a chiro, but it made the headache worse instead of better.

I think I'll just go lay down again. My head is pounding, but I can't take anything for another half hour.

I do have hope, from reading your posts, that maybe, just maybe this will eventually go away. It feels like it is never going to end right now.

Blessings,

Michele

This happened to me after my last baby. Incidentally, my anesthesiologist hadn't had to do a patch in the last decade or so. It really stinks to be the "oops".

After my last patch I laid in bed on my back for a few days to make sure it really got a chance to heal. I would get up to go to the bathroom, but other than that dh took care of everything (including the new baby).

Are you on any meds that could be causing your blood to thin? Can you get another patch, and then just be still for most of the following 3 or so days? Even if it's not just lying down, but just being as still and as horizontal as possible?

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug: and rest and comfort to you.

Anyone else here experience this from an epidural? The Anesthesiologist did an epidural to help with pain control from my fall 1.5 yrs ago. Within 4 hours of the epidural I had a headache. I have had one ever since. This was about 6 weeks ago. Quite frankly, this sucks!!!!!!!

I just had my second blood patch done Monday. The headache is still there unless I am on heavy duty pain killers. I am taking it easy. My back hurts from the blood patch. My arm hurts from the demerol shot. My head hurts. Yada. Yada.

Any wonderful suggestions?!?!? The anesthesiologist is aware of the ongoing headache. Our options are limited. Incidentally, we really like him and he has only had to do three blood patches once in his entire career.

Thank you for any prayers.

Michele

I am so sorry...I had 2 blood patches after a botched epidural. After the 2nd patch, the doc had me stay horizontal for 8 hours. It worked. It was like a miracle.

You're in my prayers! :grouphug:

It certainly helped get rid of the headache. However, now that I am up, it is coming back.

I will call the anesthesiologist on Monday and see if he wants to wait or do another blood patch. If I get another blood patch done I will go straight to bed for days, not just hours.

Thanks for your prayers and words of comfort.

Michele

I just got over mine about a month ago now.

I just laid down about 22 hours per day and drank massive amounts of caffeine, took my meds, dilaudid and ibuprofen alternating with tylenol.

It was awful, and I am so sorry for you. Laying down is really the best remedy.

:iagree:Yep me to, endless caffiene until my ears were ringing then it ended. I sure hope you feel better soon and get the relief and rest you need.

Right now I am kind of loaded with drugs from my headaches, my pupils must be pinpricks!

I will keep your experience in my mental file. Epidurals have been suggested for me but if I am trying to rid of headache, why would I do something that would bring on a stronger one?

Aye yaye. Six weeks.:thumbdown:

Bye the way, what is a blood patch?