Menu

The time has come....

fairfarmhand

Time to get out the most hideous unflattering pants I own.

time for the flannel lined carhartts.

Chore time!

(I hate winter.)

And yeah, you guys with a foot of snow, don't mock this Southern gal who grew up in Florida. I am a weenie. I don't care. Winter stinks.

We don't have as many animals as you do but the boys had to start hauling water for our chickens from inside because our outdoor pumps all froze last night  . . . thus begins the season of cleaning and disinfecting the bathtub everyday until spring.  Yuck!

(Maybe I should explain that water buckets used primarily for barn feeding tend to get grossness on the bottom which then transfers to the bathtub).  

I'm still doing chores in jeans but then I'm a central Canadian girl who grew up here - I think I'm used to the temps. :D  The low yesterday was -18.5C.  I don't get out the quilted Carhartt overalls until it starts getting down around -30C or -40C.  I also think I'm just too lazy to bother putting them on and taking them off unless I absolutely have to. ;) :P

I'm still doing chores in jeans but then I'm a central Canadian girl who grew up here - I think I'm used to the temps. :D  The low yesterday was -18.5C.  I don't get out the quilted Carhartt overalls until it starts getting down around -30C or -40C.  I also think I'm just too lazy to bother putting them on and taking them off unless I absolutely have to. ;) :p

braggart.

• Like 3

We don't have as many animals as you do but the boys had to start hauling water for our chickens from inside because our outdoor pumps all froze last night  . . . thus begins the season of cleaning and disinfecting the bathtub everyday until spring.  Yuck!

(Maybe I should explain that water buckets used primarily for barn feeding tend to get grossness on the bottom which then transfers to the bathtub).  

Can you put down a tarp or something in the bottom of the tub? You can get fairly small ones. That might save you some work.

• Like 1

:D  Hey - if you took me down south in the summer time, I would probably melt away and die.  Seriously.  I can not handle heat.  And heat and humidity together?  Nope, nope, nope. :)

ahhh...well, I love hot weather. I'm a shorts and tank top gal. Love hot days!

I don't have to put on layers or even shoes to go outside.

• Like 1

Chore time!

(I hate winter.)

And yeah, you guys with a foot of snow, don't mock this Southern gal who grew up in Florida. I am a weenie. I don't care. Winter stinks.

I LOVE my flannel-lined Carhartts!  But I save them for the extreme cold - around here, usually in the neighborhood of 0 to -15F. 

I also love them because they are the only pants I own that are just a skosh* too long.  :)

* I wasn't sure skosh was a real word, so I looked it up online.  Two very different spellings came up:  skosh and scosche.  I chose the one Merriam-Webster liked.  Neither spelling is in my big dictionary at work, though.  Maybe it wasn't yet a real word in 1979 (although it was in my childhood home).

/derail

Can you put down a tarp or something in the bottom of the tub? You can get fairly small ones. That might save you some work.

Or, they have these nozzles you can hook up to the tub spiget, for pet baths.  Could you get one of those and just have them fill the buckets next to the tub (maybe leave a bit of cardboard on the floor for the bucket to sit on, cuz it's still gross, though less gross than the tub)?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas to deal with the grossness.  I'll have to look into it . . . I guess I'm not very imaginative . . . I've just been dealing with the mess for years.

I've had things like that in my life.  You just put up with it for years and years, then one day someone says (insert brain dead simple idea here) and I feel almost dumb for not having thought of what NOW seems so obvious.  I think we must all go through it with different things.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the ideas to deal with the grossness.  I'll have to look into it . . . I guess I'm not very imaginative . . . I've just been dealing with the mess for years.

oh my,...we are kindred spirits. I do the same things in the silliest ways and then my dh goes "Why not try it this way?" and I slap my head and go "Why didn't I think of that?"

• Like 1

Chore time!

(I hate winter.)

I believe there is something attractive in someone who knows how to dress for the elements.

I have no sympathy for women who insist on underdressing and then complain of freezing to death when their stylish jackets and unlined boots do not keep them warm.

Smart, prepared women are not daunted by the weather.

• Like 1

I don't have farm chores to do, but I feel for those who do.  I keep saying there is a reason I live in the south.

I think this winter is going to be worse.  I've been outside in a sweater at 40 and needed my heavy jacket.  I used to be able to go out in a sweater with my denim jacket.  With my heavy jacket at 40, what on earth am I going to wear when it is below freezing?  Mid North Carolina not Florida, so yes, we do get that cold.  

I don't have farm chores to do, but I feel for those who do.  I keep saying there is a reason I live in the south.

I think this winter is going to be worse.  I've been outside in a sweater at 40 and needed my heavy jacket.  I used to be able to go out in a sweater with my denim jacket.  With my heavy jacket at 40, what on earth am I going to wear when it is below freezing?  Mid North Carolina not Florida, so yes, we do get that cold.  

yeah, it does get to where it "feels" really colder than the thermometer reads.

Winds (our house is on a hill, no trees, and facing the northwest) and humidity can make it feel so horribly cold

I don't have farm chores to do, but I feel for those who do. I keep saying there is a reason I live in the south.

I think this winter is going to be worse. I've been outside in a sweater at 40 and needed my heavy jacket. I used to be able to go out in a sweater with my denim jacket. With my heavy jacket at 40, what on earth am I going to wear when it is below freezing? Mid North Carolina not Florida, so yes, we do get that cold.

I just had to laugh at this as today I was out walking the pier in Lake Michigan in a hoodie and jeans....and it was 40 degrees here...but the sun was peeking through at times so it felt nice.