Menu

Bible In 90 Days

Slache

I read the article but didn't like it. I did go searching and I found that it would have been essentially considered rape because she was a child around 13. Taking some things in context it would appear that her father was not as diligent as he should have been. She was too young to go into town, he made no effort to keep her from the world, and despite being a very emotional man showed no emotion when he found out what happened. Many believe he didn't care for her because she was Leah's daughter.

My thoughts on the end of Exodus and the beginning of Leviticus...

Why on earth did Aaron suggest making a golden calf when the people came to him saying they wanted Gods to worship when Moses was gone to long on the mountain?  Aaron had been by his side the whole time Moses and Pharaoh were going back and forth.  He knew that God was there and real, at least I assume he did.  He and his sons became the priests.  

From Exodus 32:14 God repented of his anger towards the Israelites when Moses reminded him of his promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  I also heard repentance was turning away from what you were doing and usually associated with asking God's forgiveness.  Just an observation I found interesting.  God wasn't sinning, he was just turning away from his anger.

In Exodus 32:22 Aaron blames the Israelites for him building the golden calf, just as Adam blamed Eve for eating the fruit.  Aaron could have said no.

It was interesting that there were so many kinds of offerings discussed in Leviticus...sin offerings, trespass offerings, meat offerings, peace offerings, wave offerings and heave offerings.

Am I correct that the Jews don't sacrifice today because there is no tabernacle at this time and therefore no place that is holy to do the sacrifices?

My thoughts on the end of Exodus and the beginning of Leviticus...

Why on earth did Aaron suggest making a golden calf when the people came to him saying they wanted Gods to worship when Moses was gone to long on the mountain? Aaron had been by his side the whole time Moses and Pharaoh were going back and forth. He knew that God was there and real, at least I assume he did. He and his sons became the priests.

From Exodus 32:14 God repented of his anger towards the Israelites when Moses reminded him of his promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I also heard repentance was turning away from what you were doing and usually associated with asking God's forgiveness. Just an observation I found interesting. God wasn't sinning, he was just turning away from his anger.

In Exodus 32:22 Aaron blames the Israelites for him building the golden calf, just as Adam blamed Eve for eating the fruit. Aaron could have said no.

It was interesting that there were so many kinds of offerings discussed in Leviticus...sin offerings, trespass offerings, meat offerings, peace offerings, wave offerings and heave offerings.

Am I correct that the Jews don't sacrifice today because there is no tabernacle at this time and therefore no place that is holy to do the sacrifices?

Making the golden calf is the same thing to them as when you keep turning back to your same sins. The calf is foreign to us so we don't understand but you do the exact same thing.

To repent means to change your mind.

Yes, that is why the Jews no longer sacrifice.

Making the golden calf is the same thing to them as when you keep turning back to your same sins. The calf is foreign to us so we don't understand but you do the exact same thing.

To repent means to change your mind.

Yes, that is why the Jews no longer sacrifice.

I understand fully what you are saying, I just was dumbfounded that Aaron was part of this in particular.  We are all sinners and we all fall short of the glory of God.

• Like 2

I understand fully what you are saying, I just was dumbfounded that Aaron was part of this in particular. We are all sinners and we all fall short of the glory of God.

I know. I don't understand going so far out of your way to sin like that. My sins are very convenient and therefore easy to fall into. I would not go through the effort of mocking God like that. You would think somewhere along the line "I should not be doing this."

• Like 2

I just finished Genesis. I have to read nine chapters of Exodus to finish the day out. I remembered that Jacob and Leah were buried together, but I had forgotten that Rachel was buried in Bethlehem. I also noticed that Dinah was Leah's only daughter, but not Jacobs only daughter.

• Like 1

I had to finish by listening to it on CD's while I cleaned up the house from the weekend. 

I was reading in the Laundromat last night, and a lovely Puerto Rican couple began talking to me about how much they loved the Lord.  She said (in very broken English) that Isaiah 54 was her favorite chapter in the Bible.

• Like 8

I am a full two days behind. DH's mom is very ill and we are traveling to visit her. When I'm not driving, I'm sleeping or tending to the kids. I may have to break down and catch up via audio Bible, but I don't get as get much out of the text when I listen to it. My plan is to start catching up tonight when we arrive at our destination.

I am a full two days behind. DH's mom is very ill and we are traveling to visit her. When I'm not driving, I'm sleeping or tending to the kids. I may have to break down and catch up via audio Bible, but I don't get as get much out of the text when I listen to it. My plan is to start catching up tonight when we arrive at our destination.

:grouphug: and prayers for your MIL.  Be safe traveling.

I sincerely doubt that most people will finish within the 90 days. Don't feel pressed to finish and then rush through what you should be enjoying. The point is not to finish in time, but to strengthen your thirst for the word.

• Like 1

I didn't get all my reading done for the day yet.  I still have 1 more chapter to go.  This morning took longer and I don't know if it was because it was a longer section or because I ended up reading a lot of it out loud to dd since she got up early.

In reading numbers, just trying to wrap my head around 603,550 men over 20, and an additional 22,000 males 1 month and up from the Levites from the descendants of Jacob (Israel).  It seems like such a short time since Jacob.

Dd asked what barley is, and I pulled it up and showed her the computer and told her we could try to make something with it.  Does anyone have an good recipes that use barley?

I didn't get all my reading done for the day yet. I still have 1 more chapter to go. This morning took longer and I don't know if it was because it was a longer section or because I ended up reading a lot of it out loud to dd since she got up early.

In reading numbers, just trying to wrap my head around 603,550 men over 20, and an additional 22,000 males 1 month and up from the Levites from the descendants of Jacob (Israel). It seems like such a short time since Jacob.

Dd asked what barley is, and I pulled it up and showed her the computer and told her we could try to make something with it. Does anyone have an good recipes that use barley?

No recipe, but I love beef and barely stew. There are tons online. Mine had beer in it.

I had to listen to the readings again today.  But I think I'm caught up, finally.  I really love the part where Moses' fil, Jethro, tells Moses a better system for governing the people.  Exodus 18:12-27.  It all seemed so simple - Jethro saw it all so clearly, told Moses the better way to do it, Moses did it, and it worked.  So concise and clear.  It really appeals to my INTJ personality.  :)   Plus, it seems like it's kind of the way a well-run government should work.

I'd never really thought about how Aaron was with Moses at first on the mountain and was privileged to "see the God of Israel."  Yet he caved so quickly back down at the base of the mountain!  

I also found Gen 30.11 enlightening (how ransom money must be paid for every life in a census, to avoid a plague.  Much like a lamb for every household in the Exodus).  Now 2 Sam 24.15 (David's census, which I studied last year) makes so much more sense. Even down to the plague that resulted from David's census. 

ETA:  Perhaps David's sin was counting lives for his own use and benefit, rather than dedicating each life to the Lord and recognizing that each life must be redeemed. 

I finally caught up.  I was wide awake at 4am, so read all of it.  I didn't realize that they put salt on the sacrifices.  I wonder why. 

Also, I've always wished that I (and my kids) could have had/learned some of the skills and craftsmanship that the Israelites had.  Versus everything being so non-physical, what with technology and all.

• Like 2

Today (Saturday) is Day 13.

The quick view bible looks interesting.  I do have a bible atlas that I like fairly well, but it doesn't have lots of the other stuff in it.  Considering we own probably a dozen bibles and yet I end up reading mostly online at bible gateway dh might just shoot me if I bought another one.

I finished reading through Deuteronomy 7 this morning.  I did a little research online about Joshua son of Nun since he has been appointed to lead the Israelites after Moses.  I am looking forward to diving into Joshua and seeing them get to Canaan.  

• Like 1

I am still part of this thread but have decided to do the Bible in 360 days instead of 90.  I just think I will get more out of it.

I have downloaded a .99 app called Daily Audio Bible.  I really like it.  The reader is good and I can listen at any time.  It is about 30 min./day.

I just started on the date it is rather than starting with Genesis, which is January 1st.  It will still get me through, just in a different order.  

Today was about Josiah.  My youngest son's name is Josiah.  It spoke to me.

• Like 1