Menu

Bible In 90 Days

Slache

Would you pm me, please?

For some reason I can't PM you. I've quoted you like 17 times in 17 different threads* before the quote notifications were back, but you never noticed. If you're still interested would you PM me, please?

*slight exaggeration

Another day done.  I am almost done with 1 Samuel.  I decided to just read and just read the KJV.  I am coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to go back and do some of this again in something like the NIV.  I am also now wanting to get study books to go along with each book of the bible.  Maybe I will redo this after we are done in 6 months and do a study with it.

Another day done. I am almost done with 1 Samuel. I decided to just read and just read the KJV. I am coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to go back and do some of this again in something like the NIV. I am also now wanting to get study books to go along with each book of the bible. Maybe I will redo this after we are done in 6 months and do a study with it.

I heart my Ryrie Study Bible. He focuses on facts that I wouldn't otherwise know like Isaac and Jesus being offered in the same place or which people were alive at the same time. It's available in KJV and NAS. NAS is better than NIV in my opinion because it draws from both Greek texts. Also, in the back is a list of important doctrine with supporting scripture references.

I also very much enjoy my John MacArthur one volume commentary, my pastor recommended Bible Knowledge Commentary and Willmington's Guide to The Bible, and I want to read Journey Through The Bible.

I have an ongoing project where I take a small section of the Bible and print it out in a word doc with double spacing and wide margins. I can take extensive notes including what the Greek or Hebrew word actually meant, which name was actually used where it said God, doctrines, and I can write related versus into the side bar. The backs of pages are great for charts and family trees. I learn much more this way.

• Like 1

I just figured out that with only 17 days left of the 90 day readings I am going on vacation for 2 weeks.  I am seriously debating doubling up so that I can be done by then.

I have finished todays reading and am in 2 kings right now.

ETA:  I am in 1st kings not 2 kings.

I just figured out that with only 17 days left of the 90 day readings I am going on vacation for 2 weeks.  I am seriously debating doubling up so that I can be done by then.

I have finished todays reading and am in 2 kings right now.

Also consider listening to the Psalms as songs on your trip. That's somewhere out there on the interwebs. I found it once before.

• Like 1

OK, so I am reading this morning and came up with a question.  I know the Bible has a lot of history of the Jews in the old Testament and the history of the time of Jesus and the very early church in the New Testament.  I have a basic understanding of how it was put together and some understanding of where the source documents came from.

I have never read any of the Quran and am curious, do the people who follow the Quran believe it is their history?  My understanding is that they believe that God revealed the teachings in the Quran to Muhammad around the time of 600 CE.  I am not trying to start a big debate, just trying to understand just a little more about a religion that is relevant to what is going on today.  I am just curious mostly from an historical perspective.

I am about to start 2 Chronicles and am still in the process of reading this morning.

Hope everyone else is doing well on their readings this weekend.

I have finished slogging through 2 Kings this weekend. I looked ahead to 1 Chronicles and I realized I'm going to be slogging through that as well. I'm sure I'll learn something from it, though.

Bible Gateway has about every translation imaginable and you can get the audio version.  That has helped a lot.  I read it and listen to it through the names and places.

• Like 1

I am still getting ahead little by little in hopes of having less or none to read in Oct when vacation starts.  I read an hour and a half today and am in the middle of Job now.  I can't even imagine what he went though.  I have a friend who is Christian and her teenage son passed away a year and a half ago.  I have seen up close how hard it is for their family and how strong their faith in God still is.  Their family has be an inspiration to me and has in a lot of ways changed my life for the better.  I hope that I am able to be as strong in my faith as they when and if I ever have to be.

I have also been reading Appalachian Train journals and one common thing through all of them is to hike your own hike.  I kind of though that applies with several of you ladies that have been struggling with being behind at times.  Have your goal and do your own journey for reading the Bible.  If it takes you an extra week to finish or if you finish early like I hope to do, or if you finish on time the outcome is all still the same.   I will pray that we can each finish reading and that we each learn and grow from it...that I believe is the ultimate goal.

• Like 4

I am extraordinarily behind!  But I'm still here, and still plugging away.  This week seems to be shaping up to be a quiet one, so I may actually be able to catch up .  

It did not shape up to be a quiet week after all.  

No catch-up success, but I am delighted to report that I am really enjoying the fruit of such concentrated Bible reading.  It's funny how the reading I'm doing can be so applicable to conversations or events in my life at the moment.

Still hoping to catch up, though.  (Shoot for the stars, right?  ;) )

• Like 2

Came across a reference to a unicorn while reading.  I decided to do an online search and it said that in the 1800's a unicorn was referred to as a rhino.  Somewhere along the way that got changed, I found that pretty interested.  

I also read through Psalm 23, since that one is read at every funeral I have ever been to.  I started reflecting on those loved ones that are now already in heaven.  God is good all the time.

• Like 1