Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW51

Robin M

I have no idea, shukriyya. I feel like I should know it, though, & will kick myself once I find out.

In the meantime, I'm loving, loving The Painted Alphabet. Here are a couple of quotes I marked from it. They touched my heart in relation to the events in Sydney, as well as the recent discussions on here re: meditation/prayer/souls/spirits/etc....

“Madé Kerti straightened, and there was a glint about him as he looked at his wife. "Rajin, this is a catastrophe. You know there's only one way to behave."

"I'd like to know what that is."

"'Good thoughts, good speech, good actions.' At least, well, perhaps that way we won't make stupid mistakes. Let Kusuma Sari go with Siladri. This is a loving thing for us to do. It will remind him that there is also goodness in our ordinary world.â€

and

“Your prayers can bring you grace or poison," said Mpu Dibiaja. "So pray always for grace.â€

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day"

One of the best opening lines of a novel! Okay, BaWers a little trivia fun...without googling which book begins with this line?

Ooh.  I don't know but I love that line.  Can we have a clue?  Is it a book I would like?   :lol:

I have no idea, shukriyya. I feel like I should know it, though, & will kick myself once I find out.

I know, it's one of those lines one feels is so familiar but then you draw a blank. I'm sure I would have had I been asked. I came across the line today on a blog that showed the first page of the book done in a lovely pen and ink illustration. The combination of the illustration with the spareness of the opening line drew me right in and reminded me how much I like the book. I think I'm going to reread it :D

Ooh.  I don't know but I love that line.  Can we have a clue?  Is it a book I would like?   :lol:

I think it's a book you would enjoy, Amy. As well as Angel and possibly Eliana maybe OUAT as well. Hmm, who else? Mumto2? Jane? I'm sure I'm leaving a whole bunch of people out. And there's a not so subtle hint in my answer :smilielol5:

I know, it's one of those lines one feels is so familiar but then you draw a blank. I'm sure I would have had I been asked. I came across the line today on a blog that showed the first page of the book done in a lovely pen and ink illustration. The combination of the illustration with the spareness of the opening line drew me right in and reminded me how much I like the book. I think I'm going to reread it :D

I think it's a book you would enjoy, Amy. As well as Angel and possibly Eliana maybe OUAT as well. Hmm, who else? Mumto2? Jane? I'm sure I'm leaving a whole bunch of people out. And there's a not so subtle hint in my answer :smilielol5:

Is the hint Jane?!?!  Jane Eyre?

That line was awfully familiar, but I didn't guess it. Of course it's been about twenty-five years since I read Jane Eyre. Maybe I should read it again.

I'm currently reading The Accidental Universe by Alan LIghtman. It is a quick little book of essays by a theoretical physicist, written for the lay person. I'll probably finish it today.

Prairiegirl - I had to laugh at your post. I have a large, overly greedy bag of light reading from the library hiding under my sofa for almost the same reason. My library won't be closed as long, but it will be hard for me to get to it for a few weeks, so I have stocked up. (That doesn't sound right. "Have stocked" sounds like it really would rather be "have stooked up" lol.)

Kareni - These will be fun to explore. Thank you!

Nan

I have been stockpiling/hoarding library books because the library will be closed 2 weeks for the holidays.  The thought of being without a book during those 2 weeks instills fear so I went to the library again today and took out still more books.  I now have 19 library books to do me until Jan. 5th.    I think I'm good now.

You should make it an even 20. Go get one more. 

Kareni - The King's Singer book and the Canon one look great! Thank you so much! More like Fie, nay, prithee John, or I love them mousies, mostly lol. They tend to be more musically interesting than some of the more inspiring ones, unfortunately, although some of the Latin ones are both. What I love about the famine song is that the music tells the story as well as the words.

All - A few days ago, I said I was grateful for TWTM/TWEM because I was buying books and youngest could explain why I didn't want his favourites for his cousin. Oblique literary analysis lol. Yesterday, I had another reason. Middle one came home with a poem a new friend had said was a favourite and wanted to discuss with him. He thought the discussion would go better if he discussed it at home with me, first. Lorca's Sonnet of Sweet Complaint - we decided it was rather goth lol, and we prefered the Elizabethan variety of the same thing, although we liked some of the imagery. We probably spent half an hour on it! I never would have guessed that I would be analyzing poetry with my grown sons in such detail. Go TWEM!!!

Nan

"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."

One of the best opening lines of a novel! Okay, BaWers a little trivia fun...without googling which book begins with this line?

It's an Austen, right? Can't remember which Austen. Northanger Abbey...Mansfield Park....S&S. Definitely not P&P or Emma. Darn, I'm going to have to look it up and it will probably not even be Jane Austen. It's probably some tortured Forester or something. 

Kareni - Just have to post again telling you I've had a lovely time exploring the cd link. Some of the sound samples for the rounds are lovely, like the kyrie one, and some are so fun I have to learn them, like the duct tape one lol. I have a million other things I am supposed to be doing and this was a welcome break. Thank you!

Nan

Kareni - Just have to post again telling you I've had a lovely time exploring the cd link. Some of the sound samples for the rounds are lovely, like the kyrie one, and some are so fun I have to learn them, like the duct tape one lol. I have a million other things I am supposed to be doing and this was a welcome break. Thank you!

You're welcome, Nan.  I'm glad to have given you something fun to do while taking a break from mathematics!

Regards,

Kareni

I'm 100% convinced I am since I ordered a copy this morning! I wanted to make sure I had it (inc. international postage) in time.

Alright, I'm convinced since I also have the book although HotAW was a dismal fail on my part.  Hopefully will do better with HotMW

My first thought had been Little Women.  Loved all your clues leading up to Jane Eyre.

Robin, I wonder if I would like this or not, whether it would raise my blood pressure or not. I'm not the most tolerant when it comes to the annihilation of Israel and similar sentiments. 

Joel Rosenberg's book are intense reads from beginning to end.  I've read most of the series and he blends biblical prophecies, current middle eastern politics, suspense and a little bit of the supernatural to make for really nail biting, spine tingling, super political thriller reads.  Yes, it will raise your blood pressure but since he's a christian writer, usually things fall in Israel's favor but the ride there will take your breath away.  Although most of his books leave a couple threads untied to be continued in the next book.

Well here is where I am at with HoTMW: I know that I should join in but I should also finish HoAW. If I stick with the latter, I'll never get caught up with the former. So I guess that I shall join in the new read-along in the hope that I miraculously finish HoAW during say the first quarter of the year. Maybe I should create a deadline and a schedule for that.

I returned Invisible Beasts with about 70 pages unread. Yawn. Before returning it to the library, I copied one passage to share not for its profundity but to share with you my reaction. First, the passage:

[A] defensive swarm of invisible honeybees returned to crawl over their comb in four-bee thick cosiness, though they had no business to be (or bee) in North America. But they didn't know that.

See the word "cosiness"? I read it initially as "cosines" with the reaction "Bees don't move in sinusoidal fashion!"

Please laugh with me at my geekiness.

Joel Rosenberg's book are intense reads from beginning to end.  I've read most of the series and he blends biblical prophecies, current middle eastern politics, suspense and a little bit of the supernatural to make for really nail biting, spine tingling, super political thriller reads.  Yes, it will raise your blood pressure but since he's a christian writer, usually things fall in Israel's favor but the ride there will take your breath away.  Although most of his books leave a couple threads untied to be continued in the next book.

Robin, thank you so much. I've added it to my wish list. :)

Ds and I have just begun 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. I had a copy of this in my shelves as a child and would periodically read it through the years. I didn't love it then but the particular copy I owned had wonderful illustrations and the paper and font was ivory and sepia with the paper being slightly shiny. So it had a kind of exotic, other-worldly quality about it that intrigued me.

A chapter or two in and I feel the same way. I don't love the story but the illustrations, this time in pen and ink are fun.

Since we seem to be stocking up for Christmas library closures and the conversation has definitely turned to Jane Austen I thought I would mention one of the books I am currently readinghttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6352576-first-impressions?ref=ru_lihp_up_rs_1_mclk-exp71cell165_exp69cell156-up2045307121First Impressions by Charlie Lovett. Some of you (Jenn, maybe Onceuponatime) read his Bookman's Tale earlier this year and the structure of this one is similar but I like it better so far. There are still two separate timelines but the story seems to be moving forward without flashbacks in both stories. One story takes place with Jane Austen as the main character, she is writing and revising with her friend Rev. Mansfield. The current storyline involves a really nice recent Oxford graduate who loves books and book collecting. I am only 10percent done so who knows how I will feel about it at the end! :lol:

How funny, mumto2, I just picked up a book with Jane Austen. It's a fictional mystery but the author uses information (her letters and such) in the book about the real Jane Austen to capture the essence of her in his character of her. The plot is she and other guests are staying at a house for Christmas festivities and someone dies. Jane believes it was murder and tries to solve the mystery.

...I returned Invisible Beasts with about 70 pages unread. Yawn. Before returning it to the library, I copied one passage to share not for its profundity but to share with you my reaction. First, the passage:

See the word "cosiness"? I read it initially as "cosines" with the reaction "Bees don't move in sinusoidal fashion!"

Please laugh with me at my geekiness.

Of course they don't.  All of us who have taken calculus know they move in a cartoid.  LOL

Nan

Shukriyya - Yes, appropriate weather.  I so hope this turns out to be a sacrifice and not just a slaughter, that the horror of this event changes things for the better, strengthens people to stand together for better lives, not necessarily the western idea of better but their own idea of better.  This can't possibly be it.

Stacia - How apt!

I will be making books this morning instead of reading them.  I am binding blank books as Christmas presents, using the intriguing sounding "coptic stitch" binding.  I have done this before and like the method because it allows the books to open flat.  I interleaved the books with bits cut out of the Smithsonian travel advertisements as food for thoughts and dreams.  I love Sea Lemon's youtube tutorials. : )

Nan

Since we seem to be stocking up for Christmas library closures and the conversation has definitely turned to Jane Austen I thought I would mention one of the books I am currently readinghttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6352576-first-impressions?ref=ru_lihp_up_rs_1_mclk-exp71cell165_exp69cell156-up2045307121First Impressions by Charlie Lovett. Some of you (Jenn, maybe Onceuponatime) read his Bookman's Tale earlier this year and the structure of this one is similar but I like it better so far. There are still two separate timelines but the story seems to be moving forward without flashbacks in both stories. One story takes place with Jane Austen as the main character, she is writing and revising with her friend Rev. Mansfield. The current storyline involves a really nice recent Oxford graduate who loves books and book collecting. I am only 10percent done so who knows how I will feel about it at the end! :lol:

Thanks for the recommendation. Funny, I went to the library yesterday and signed up for the local book club that is doing Mansfield Park in the month of January. :laugh:  It's one of the few Austens I haven't read yet. I'll put Charlie Lovett's book on my to read list for after that.

Robin, I think dh might be interested in these books.  Which one to start with?

The book I mentioned above is Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas by Stephanie Barron. Should be fun. 

I have read a Stephanie Barron "Jane" mystery.  I really enjoyed it!

I finished The Painted Alphabet & found it a lovely way to bookend my yearly reading -- early in the year, I read Sunjata (epic tale from West Africa about the beginnings of the Malian empire in the early 1300s) & now I'm approaching the close of the year by reading The Painted Alphabet, a delightful mix of a few modern sprinkles added to a retelling of a Balinese epic poem about morality, ritual, religion, & philosophy. I love bookending my year with these epic tales from far-flung places.

I think quite a few of you BaWers would enjoy The Painted Alphabet -- Pam, shukriyya, Eliana, Nan, OUAT, LostSurprise, Negin, crstarlette, maybe Jane...

Definitely recommended.

I have been stockpiling/hoarding library books because the library will be closed 2 weeks for the holidays.  The thought of being without a book during those 2 weeks instills fear so I went to the library again today and took out still more books.  I now have 19 library books to do me until Jan. 5th.    I think I'm good now.

2 weeks??!!   :svengo:

I've been remiss in both finishing books and in posting them here... I read David Grossman's Falling Out of Time for one of my IRL book groups -- it's a beautiful, lacerating, genre-defying book that he wrote in the years after his son's death... not quite poetry, not quite drama, not quite a novel... for me it evoked Our Town and even more the more recent Laramie Project...

I finally finished Abraham Heschel's The Prophets, which I'd been doing it bits and pieces... and, at VC's exhortation, Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant, which I began under the grievously wrong impression was satire.  Not.  One of those good-for-you, glad-you're-done sort of experiences...

On audio, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, which just barely met my desire for comic relief from these dark dark nights -- there certainly are some very funny bits, but the overall mood is darker than I'd expected based on other Gaiman I'd read; and then the Ocean on the Edge of the Lane, which has no funny bits AT ALL, ranging from scary to bleak and back again...

My daughter and I are nearly done with Abbott's Flatland, which I read with both my olders and which maps well with her current enthusiasm for Madeleine L'Engle.

And I'm in the market for something LIGHT.  I have been so dismayed and disheartened by the catastrophic events around the world this week... and then stare glassy-eyed at my towering TBR stacks... and find myself unable to concentrate even enough to pick what I've got, up...  

so I'll take comic suggestions, please...

And I'm in the market for something LIGHT.  I have been so dismayed and disheartened by the catastrophic events around the world this week... and then stare glassy-eyed at my towering TBR stacks... and find myself unable to concentrate even enough to pick what I've got, up...  

My preference for comedy leans toward comedies of manners, hence I am currently reading an Angela Thirkell.  I also suggest E.M. Delafield's Provincial Lady books (all but the Russian one which is less comedic).

Ugh.  Disheartening times indeed.

Have you read any PG Wodehouse?  He's British and splendid.

Dave Barry?  I love reading his books because they are so lighthearted and nothing in them in serious.

Calvin and Hobbes?  Great even for adults.  

Robin, I think dh might be interested in these books.  Which one to start with?

I have read a Stephanie Barron "Jane" mystery.  I really enjoyed it!

The Last Jihad would be the one to start with.  

I do have to credit A.J. Jacobs Drop Dead and Healthy with getting my hubby off his butt and doing the 10,000 steps every single day.  He is now up to 15,000 steps every day rain or shine, whether it be on the treadmill or around the neighborhood or work.  I bought him a pedometer a couple years ago and it sat and sat and sat unopened until he read the book. Who thought a humorous book on exercise would be the instigator to get him walking. 

Have you read any PG Wodehouse?  He's British and splendid.

Dave Barry?  I love reading his books because they are so lighthearted and nothing in them in serious.

Calvin and Hobbes?  Great even for adults.  

Pam, I've enjoyed the two A.J. Jacobs books I've read: The Year of Living Biblically and My Life as an Experiment.

If you don't mind profanity, I thought Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson was lol funny.

thanks, ladies -- I got a free Wodehouse and the Let's Pretend through my library on my kindle.  Instant gratification, so beautiful.  Now we'll see if I can concentrate...

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush. I laughed out loud through this hilarious adventure. And I'd find myself chuckling to myself days after when recalling a certain passage.

I am still working on First Impressions by Charlie Lovett. Onceuponatime's post that I tried to quote and lost ??? Got me wondering if I should have read Mansfield Park first. I have never read it and didn't like the Billie Piper version on TV so don't even know the story! Anyway went hunting and learned that the Rev. Mansfield in this book is fictional. Enjoyed this article alsohttp://www.citizen-times.com/story/life/books/2014/11/06/writer-lovett-visits-asheville-first-impressions/18623699/.

Finished knitting the baby gift this morning. Perfect timing because we are expecting word of the baby being born sometime soon!

This looks interesting. The site looks like something I would like to spend time on. Lots of good stuff on the right-hand side bar. Thanks, Stacia. :)

I was about to say Pride & Prejudice (which I loved). But having seen some of the replies, I now know the answer, obviously. Loved Jane Eyre as well.