Menu

How do *you* do graduation (cx to high school board) POLL

Excelsior! Academy

How do you plan to graduate your senior?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How do you plan to graduate your senior

• A quiet evening with immediate family
    • A celebratory meal/outing with immediate family
    • Invite extended family and have a personal ceremony
    • Invite extended family and have celebratory meal/outing
    • An all out party with friends and family with ceremony
    • Senior walks with co-op or similar group with party or not after
    • Other, please explain

Our daughters did not think that high school graduation was a big deal and so they didn't want to do much. We graduated them on their 16th birthdays, and we bought each of them a birthstone necklace and took them out to eat at a very nice restaurant.

For my oldest, we had a ceremony at a church.  DH did the ceremony, both grandmother's and 1 grandfather spoke.  I made a slide show of his life. He wore a cap and gown and gave a speech. We sang a couple of hymns.  Then we had a reception w cakes and finger foods.  It was wonderful.  We had 72 people there, I think. 

We had a party and invited extended family and friends. We did not really do a "ceremony" but my dd got up and thanked everyone for coming. We had snacks and a meal of lasagna, bread and salad. We projected a slideshow of pictures of my dd through the years and had a "display table" with some of her writing and awards from local writing contests and the diploma we ordered as well as a few framed photos. It was very informal. Make sure you take some photos of the day. I was so busy with the prep I forgot to take pictures!

I had to say other because it is different for each child according to their wishes. DD hax an elegant ceremony with music recital, special speaker, presentation of diploma, and 12 long stem roses. We had refreshments afterward for about 50 people.

Ds coming up will have a gallery showing of his artwork long with his creative writing and examples of computer programmingand graphic arts. He will serve as the "tour guide" and refreshments will be immediately following.

Next oldest is not fond of formalities or large parties. He wants a small family and friend backyard barbeque at our friends' farm. Youngest says he'd be happy to just have us give him his diploma at TARC Nationals if the rocket team makes it that year... just hand it over between launches. He's willing to have chinese food, cake, and ice cream with the team later or with immediate family when we get home.

*Cue anxiety attack*

We are not involved with any groups that hold ceremonies. Dh wants to do a graduation/Eagle ceremony. He was also wanting to do a senior recital.

More panic. I may need to stay off these forums until mid-summer when I am breathing again. (Like that's gonna happen.)

Family at the house after graduation on ceremony day, plus an open house with refreshments for lotsa people on a different day.

If we did not opt to graduate with a local hs group, we would probably have one great big party and present a diploma then.

ETA I totally agree with what Faith said above - give the graduate lots of say in what s/he would like.

Ds did dual enrollment his last two years.  He had no desire to do a high school graduation. The summer he graduated was crammed full of activities he had planned, like work, camps, a mission trip to Haiti, etc.  We talked about doing a simple thing at home and never found an available weekend to do it.  LOL  He didn't walk with his public high school class because he only spent an hour on campus all year, and had no connection with the school beyond that. We are going to go all out and plan a bigger party for his bachelors degree.

*Cue anxiety attack*

We are not involved with any groups that hold ceremonies. Dh wants to do a graduation/Eagle ceremony. He was also wanting to do a senior recital.

More panic. I may need to stay off these forums until mid-summer when I am breathing again. (Like that's gonna happen.)

This is why I posted!!  Total anxiety attack.  Should I admit, that I considered joining a co-op just so my dc could walk if they wanted? :o

After reading all of the responses on both boards (chat and high school) and talking to my near graduate, I now feel I have permission to keep it low key.  :001_cool:

Stick around.  We can panic together.  :001_smile: