Menu

I am SICK of CANCER!

melissad2

It is EVIL!!! My dad is stage 4 prostate cancer and we just found out his sister has a tumor on her pancreas. I can't stand anymore CANCER! I am terrified of a diagnosis like that. I'm a nurse and I know how bad a diagnosis of "stage 4" or "tumor on pancreas" is. We can send people to outer space and the deep dark depths of the sea but we can't cure cancer.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry, Melissa. :(

Is there any possibility that the pancreatic tumor might turn out to be benign? I'll pray for her recovery, and for your dad, too.

I'm not sure. She is in the hospital in Atlanta and they are not terribly good at relaying information to my satisfaction. I guess when you are a nurse you have a ton more questions than most. She doesn't have children to be there with her and I'm not in a position to go there right now. She mentioned something about blood vessels originating from the tumor? Which brings up more questions for me...

My dad had been doing quite well until he developed cellulitis in his leg. His oncologist stopped his (experimental) medication for good. So none of us quite know what to expect there, although we can all see his decline in the last few weeks.

Did I mention I'm an only child....:(

:grouphug: :grouphug: I am so sorry. And I agree. I hate it, too. My aunt died when she was 47 from ovarian cancer. Her sister is currently stage 4 with peritoneal cancer and her other sister has been fighting melanoma for 10 years. I don't know how my mother has escaped. I'm terrified she's next.

It's so hard when you live far away and no one is giving you the information you need, and you are worried that your aunt may not be asking the right questions. :grouphug:

Can your father see a different doctor?

I don't think another doctor will have anything different to say. His cancer has spread to his bones, he's had radiation and chemo. There really isn't anything new in terms of hormone refractory prostate cancer.

I'm a Le Creuset fan for many of the reasons mentioned above, but also because they last forever, it seems. My mother inherited a huge oval one when I was a baby (so it wasn't new already then) and it shows no sign of dying, even with the trauma we occasionally put it through.

Sorry. I know how you feel. A good friend died this week from pancreatic cancer. The same day my father started chemotherapathy and my mother had surgery to remove a cancerous uterus. It was not a good day.

Cancer sucks.

Bill

:grouphug:

I've lost a few family members to cancer myself.

We recently found out our long-time beloved family doctor has a malignant brain tumor. He's going in for a second surgery soon.

He is my husband's age, and he and his wife have six kids. His family homeschools, and he has been awesome and supportive of our various off-the-beaten path decisions over the years.

Not fair. :crying:

Sorry. I know how you feel. A good friend died this week from pancreatic cancer. The same day my father started chemotherapathy and my mother had surgery to remove a cancerous uterus. It was not a good day.

Cancer sucks.

Bill

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am so sorry, Bill. :(

It is EVIL!!! My dad is stage 4 prostate cancer and we just found out his sister has a tumor on her pancreas. I can't stand anymore CANCER! I am terrified of a diagnosis like that. I'm a nurse and I know how bad a diagnosis of "stage 4" or "tumor on pancreas" is. We can send people to outer space and the deep dark depths of the sea but we can't cure cancer.

I'm so sorry, Melissa. Cancer is rampant in our family, from people in their 70s to people in their 20s. It sucks, badly. :grouphug: :grouphug:

:grouphug: :grouphug:

We can do so many amazing things, can't we? ...and yet we are so powerless in other areas....and it hurts so much to *know* what is wrong, and to watch a loved one slip away from us despite all the knowledge, all the technology, all the prayers. And with cancer, so often, the blessing of time can eat at the heart because it makes our powerlessness so clear.

I wish I had comforting words, but all I can offer is love and empathy....and a shared hatred for cancer. We lost a dear, dear friend to pancreatic cancer not long ago... someone who filled the world with light and song and love... with teen kids... who turned even the last months and weeks into a gift to everyone around. ...but even the success stories, the friends who are in remission now... the uncertainty, the suffering, and the powerlessness... I wanted easier, surer solutions for them... clear cures. A nasty, vicious disease where parts of oneself become the enemy.

Hang it there, honey.

Thank you for the kind words.

I am so sorry to hear about all of these cancer stories. My grandmother had Lymphoma, went into remission, only to get pancreatic cancer in her 80's some 20 years later.

I don't understand. Where is all this money going for cancer research? I do see some advances, but for the most part, cancer treatments have not changed in decades. It is still the standard Chemo/radiation.

And all the fund raising for breast cancer research. Where are the advancements there? I see there are screening methods, but what about cure methods?

I just don't understand, as someone put it, we have so MUCH new technology today yet we can't cure cancer?

I hate to say it, but if there was, a lot of money would be lost along with millions of jobs. It is sickening to think that people would actually keep that from the public, so they can continue to profit.

:grouphug: to all of you

I am so sorry to hear about all of these cancer stories. My grandmother had Lymphoma, went into remission, only to get pancreatic cancer in her 80's some 20 years later.

I don't understand. Where is all this money going for cancer research? I do see some advances, but for the most part, cancer treatments have not changed in decades. It is still the standard Chemo/radiation.

And all the fund raising for breast cancer research. Where are the advancements there? I see there are screening methods, but what about cure methods?

I just don't understand, as someone put it, we have so MUCH new technology today yet we can't cure cancer?

I hate to say it, but if there was, a lot of money would be lost along with millions of jobs. It is sickening to think that people would actually keep that from the public, so they can continue to profit.

:grouphug: to all of you

I wonder this as well. :(

I'm reading a book on cancer now and the reason cancer seems so rampant now is because there were so many other killers that took people out long before cancer could get them- infections with no antibiotics, tuberculosis, pneumonia, smallpox...I'm glad those have been figured out/cured but surely with all of the technology and medical knowledge we have today, there should be more advancements for this ancient disease. :confused1: