Menu

Not that I am one-but-Tiger Mothers-there any around here?

Spy Car- Are you familiar with the works of Rafe Esquith? I am in love with the man. :D

I am trying to work my way to be more "requiring" of my children. A year as radical unschoolers really messed us up. I do not want to be like the Tiger Mom in the book-she scares the bejeezus out of me. But I would like to work on more reliability, dependability, and higher expectations.

This is an invisible thread. You are safe here.

Spill it!

Now I must go do mindless housework. Pledge. Windex. Vaccuum. I just can't take it.

Darling says, what's wrong with you?

I can't answer.

::sniff:: sniff::

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8001758399670384201&q=rafe+esquith

This is your fault Mommymilk.

I am destroyed. :)

Schools don't like volunteers? Really? Our school has sign up sheets and there is always a parent or two in the classroom. I don't think they mind help at all.

I LOVE when parents come to my classroom. My kids' classrooms often have parent volunteers in them, all the way through high school.

However, some parents disrupt classes while volunteering. Some think it is their job to tell the teacher how to do his/her job in front of the students. There are parents who volunteer so they can correct the teacher when they think he/she makes a mistake. And if those things happen enough, especially early on in a teacher's career, the teacher will decide that no help is better than that.

Spy Car- Are you familiar with the works of Rafe Esquith? I am in love with the man. :D

I am trying to work my way to be more "requiring" of my children. A year as radical unschoolers really messed us up. I do not want to be like the Tiger Mom in the book-she scares the bejeezus out of me. But I would like to work on more reliability, dependability, and higher expectations.

I am unfamiliar with Rafe Esquith.

I would likely be purged from the Tiger Moms club, as I let no fun activity get passed up for sake of doing "Daddy homework." But we have still managed to be more than a year ahead in Singapore Math (with a much of other stuff thrown in) and now were are rocking with MCT. So I think one can do this after schooling thing and stil have a lot of fun.

Bill

Bill, why do you think schools (sometimes) hate parent volunteers or involvement?

What do you hear where you are?

I can't understand why a teacher wouldn't appreciate parent help and involvement. It makes such a big difference at our school and were parents are not just welcome but actively recruited to help in he classroom. It makes a huge difference

I find it quite enjoyable to volunteer when I can. Especially when I can help teach individual children. Then it is really fun.

Bill

I can't understand why a teacher wouldn't appreciate parent help and involvement. It makes such a big difference at our school and were parents are not just welcome but actively recruited to help in he classroom. It makes a huge difference

I find it quite enjoyable to volunteer when I can. Especially when I can help teach individual children. Then it is really fun.

Bill

You are going to put me in the nuthouse. For reals.

Full-on professional chef who cooks from scratch. :D (With two helpers.) He makes individual changes/meals for those with food allergies. His vocabulary includes, "quinoa" and "whole grains" and "fish."

zip code please? :auto: lol

DANG! That is impressive!

You are going to put me in the nuthouse. For reals.

I've done my share of "menial" tasks too. It is amazing how much work does on to keep a classroom function at full tilt.

But recently I was there at math-time and a number of students were struggling doing their two digit sums. I went around and talked to individual kids about the idea of "making tens."

I would ask them "how many Units does this 8 need to be a Ten?" And they Would blink a couple times and say "2". And if the 7 gives up 2 so the 8 become a Ten what is left? "5". Right! So we made how many Tens? One. And We have How many Units? 5. Right!

And we did the same for the Tens place, and the kids who once lost were suddenly flying. That was a fun day!

Bill

On charters:

I am a charter "widow". I l.o.v.e.d. the charter I was involved in. I was involved in it from "just an idea" to the full stage of it running. What a freakin' ball.

Parents at the charter were in the parking lot by 6 a.m. looking for work. Real work. Whatever needed done. Nothing too high, nothing too low.

You want your floor washed? I'm your girl. You want grant writing help? I'd love to. Need a car for car pool? I'm available. Whatever idea those teachers came up with, had a built in slave task force to back it up. And networking between parents? UNBELIEVABLE.

Now today I get begged to buy candy bars twice a week as my highest parental involvement or function. Gah. BOO!

The charter also was involved in the SCRIP program, it was like a religion for fund raising.

I wish they had that here, at least I'd feel useful.

They want nothing to do with parents here. Nothing.

On charters:

I am a charter "widow". I l.o.v.e.d. the charter I was involved in. I was involved in it from "just an idea" to the full stage of it running. What a freakin' ball.

Parents at the charter were in the parking lot by 6 a.m. looking for work. Real work. Whatever needed done. Nothing too high, nothing too low.

You want your floor washed? I'm your girl. You want grant writing help? I'd love to. Need a car for car pool? I'm available. Whatever idea those teachers came up with, had a built in slave task force to back it up. And networking between parents? UNBELIEVABLE.

Now today I get begged to buy candy bars twice a week as my highest parental involvement or function. Gah. BOO!

The charter also was involved in the SCRIP program, it was like a religion for fund raising.

I wish they had that here, at least I'd feel useful.

They want nothing to do with parents here. Nothing.

:grouphug::grouphug: That would be a hard change. I'm hoping dh gets into the grad school in the adjoining town when that time comes so we can stay here longer with this awesome school. Anywhere else and we will probably be homeschooling again.

I am unfamiliar with Rafe Esquith.

I would likely be purged from the Tiger Moms club, as I let no fun activity get passed up for sake of doing "Daddy homework." But we have still managed to be more than a year ahead in Singapore Math (with a much of other stuff thrown in) and now were are rocking with MCT. So I think one can do this after schooling thing and stil have a lot of fun.

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Their-Fires-Extraordinary-Muddled-up/dp/0143117661/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311518074&sr=8-4

This is an excellent book. He's near your neck of the woods. I love his books.

• 2 months later...

I stumbled upon this "invisible" thread while looking for reviews of MCT's "Classics in the Classroom." Anyone still interested? My husband is a Tiger Mother and so by virtue of supporting him, I'm certainly Tiger-Mother influenced. So I have borrowed the book and am going to read it. Compared with some local public schoolers and even many local homeschoolers I may be a Tiger Mother but not compared to the greater world of TWTM scholars. (I prefer the term "home scholars", e.g.) At least I don't think so because I falter some days because of my own chronic illness. However, we have daily discipline - if we are able to be up and out of bed we are able to get certain essential things done no matter what. Sure, if I or my ds have a fever of 102 we lie down, but otherwise Math, grammar, reading, Latin, Spanish, handwriting and spelling all get done. I like the earlier reference to "Education, Ethics and Expectations." I will have to read and consider whether I am willing to go to the extremes of a Tiger Mom...

Edited by Jill
tidied up commas, my bane.

I think Tiger mom can mean different things to different people. In our case, it's our desire to raise well-educated, hard working, responsible and cultured human beeings. If my kids were getting the kid of education I want in school, I wouldn't be doing anything extra but music. Unfortunately the reality is very different. What they choose in life is their decision, but I want to be able to say that I did all that I could and knew how to do to prepare them for life. I want them to develop a lifelong love for good literature and music, two things that I firmly believe will enrich their lives. I want them to understand that learning is a lifelong pleasure.

I stumbled upon this "invisible" thread while looking for reviews of MCT's "Classics in the Classroom." Anyone still interested? My husband is a Tiger Mother and so by virtue of supporting him, I'm certainly Tiger-Mother influenced. So I have borrowed the book and am going to read it. Compared with some local public schoolers and even many local homeschoolers I may be a Tiger Mother but not compared to the greater world of TWTM scholars. (I prefer the term "home scholars", e.g.) At least I don't think so because I falter some days because of my own chronic illness. However, we have daily discipline - if we are able to be up and out of bed we are able to get certain essential things done no matter what. Sure, if I or my ds have a fever of 102 we lie down, but otherwise Math, grammar, reading, Latin, Spanish, handwriting and spelling all get done. I like the earlier reference to "Education, Ethics and Expectations." I will have to read and consider whether I am willing to go to the extremes of a Tiger Mom...

:grouphug: It's a relief to see other homeschoolers who share the same struggle to home educate through chronic illness. My husband was told by someone "Guess now that your wife has MS, she won't be able to homeschool." :glare:

ETA: I just realized that this is the afterschooling board. Well, I'm hybrid afterschooling/homeschooling so I guess it's cool :P I'm actually having more trouble healthwise doing school & homeschool than I was with just homeschool. Oh well...

I want to preface this with: I haven't read the book. I've only read parts of the book and op eds from newspapers, etc. I have also talked with MANY moms here that consider themselves to be "tiger moms" based on their reading of the book.

When dh and I first heard about it, we discussed our current situation. We work with Chinese Indonesians. They consider themselves Chinese before they consider themselves Indonesia, kwim? Anyway, we considered the folks we know here and how many of them are tiger-moms/dads. What has this done for them?

Well, in many cases it has given them the academic edge that is lacking in most of the western (U.S., Australia) kids at the same school. The work ethic here is very different than what we experienced in the U.S. (we worked at private schools there). At the lower grades, the parents are asking for more homework, they have the kids involved in nearly every extra curricular you can imagine, and every 6 to 12th grade student has a math tutor that works with them at least twice a week (not to help with existing homework, but to give them more work).

On the other hand, they are a shame-based culture. Everyone, old or young, operates on avoiding shame. Ranking is very important, and appearances are everything (no matter what is underneath).

I am inspired to require more from my own children because of these people, but I am hesitant to go for appearances and shame.

A healthy dose of reality (read: sometimes that includes a feeling of shame) is important. Loving family relationships are important. Using your God-given talents is important. I believe it is more than one of these in isolation, it is all of them in appropriate doses.