Menu

American History at Elemental Science!!

Robyn

Thank you for sharing this! It looks good. I was thinking about using FIAR for my 1st grader next year, but I'm not sure it's going to work out. I think I'm going to use this instead (my older boys are on modern history and will roll back to Ancients the following year, so I'm holding off with DD to roll them together).

:bigear:

For $14.99 for the digital downloads I'll probably get it even though I have my own plan mostly worked out. (If it ends up being secular).

:iagree: I assumed it was secular, but I agree, I'd like to make sure first. :)

Glad to see this here, as I really love Adventures in America! As to whether or not it's secular, it's written to focus on historical fact, so I think that it could fit in a secular or religious homeschool.

The author, Angela, is a Christian, but she has tried very hard not to bring personal commentary into the mix. This being said, she does mention the faith of the pilgrims, what Quakers believed, the fact that most Pioneers had 2-3 books, one of which was the usually the Bible and so on. As far as I have seen, she only mentions religion when it was a significant part of the story and is backed up by historical fact. Does that make sense? If you have more specific questions or would like me to expand on what's above, let me know.

PS-Angela, the author, is also a WTM Hiver and has been for quite awhile, so maybe she'll stop by and answer more questions, if you have them.

Edited by Pata

This does look fun! I don't think it looks secular but I could be wrong. I'm also looking at Learning Adventures "A New World of Adventure". I agree with the information presented on this site that young children should be enjoying their study of America and it's founders and core values. History is fun! :)

This does look fun! I don't think it looks secular but I could be wrong. I'm also looking at Learning Adventures "A New World of Adventure". I agree with the information presented on this site that young children should be enjoying their study of America and it's founders and core values. History is fun! :)

I really wish you hadn't mentioned Learning Adventures.....it looks so good! Darn you!:D

I really wish you hadn't mentioned Learning Adventures.....it looks so good! Darn you!:D

*ducks head* Ooops!!!! I know it's just overwhelming sometimes isn't it? Well look at it this way-Learning Adventures is for grades 3-8 so I'm sure the other one would be ideal for younger grades and there's plenty of time to try Learning Adventures' goodies later! ;)

Glad to see this here, as I really love Adventures in America! As to whether or not it's secular, it's written to focus on historical fact, so I think that it could fit in a secular or religious homeschool.

The author, Angela, is a Christian, but she has tried very hard not to bring personal commentary into the mix. This being said, she does mention the faith of the pilgrims, what Quakers believed, the fact that most Pioneers had 2-3 books, one of which was the usually the Bible and so on. As far as I have seen, she only mentions religion when it was a significant part of the story and is backed up by historical fact. Does that make sense? If you have more specific questions or would like me to expand on what's above, let me know.

PS-Angela, the author, is also a WTM Hiver and has been for quite awhile, so maybe she'll stop by and answer more questions, if you have them.

Thank you for the information. It sounds doable to me. :001_smile:

Is anyone considering using this alongside SOTW? I've been thinking of doing some US history all through the grammar stage, and this seems to fit the bill!

After 5 minutes of knowing about this product, one thought I have is to do the study over 1st and 2nd grade. That way it doesn't seem to be so much in addition to SOTW. Does that sound like biting off more than I can chew?

What are the spines? I couldn't find them listed.

The "spine" for the American History portion is included in the Teacher's Guide. Angela has written high interest, one page stories for you to read aloud. There are two for each week. If you want to do the state study on the third day, you would need Smart About Fifty States, that's it :). The read-alouds, readers and picture books are all optional, but are included so that you can enrich your study with them if you desire.

Is anyone considering using this alongside SOTW? I've been thinking of doing some US history all through the grammar stage, and this seems to fit the bill!

After 5 minutes of knowing about this product, one thought I have is to do the study over 1st and 2nd grade. That way it doesn't seem to be so much in addition to SOTW. Does that sound like biting off more than I can chew?

I think that's totally doable, we are probably going complete the American history portion over our winter break. (We aren't take a summer break or I'd do it then!) I'll probably have my dd read the stories herself and narrate back to me, then we can do the projects together. The program is very flexible, which is part of the reason I love it ;).

PS-I also spoke with Angela about future products. At this point she's got a couple of options, but is not really ready to share them. I'm sure that when we know more, we'll let you all know.