Menu

Dual enrollment college credit....

Usually 1 for a 3 credit hour course. Which is how I wound up with no English or math classes my senior year of high school. I took college courses jr year, 2 semesters = 2 year credits for HS, so I'd met the requirements for English of 4 credits, and they literally had no math courses for me to take beyond the calculus I'd already had (I graduated HS with 5 math credits). Ditto chemistry and biology, iirc.

I'm using the same equivalents that the local school uses.

They give 1 credit for every semester of math, science, visual/performing arts, foreign language (including ASL), accounting, digital imaging, biotechnology, drafting, and dc-ac circuits.

They give 1/2 credit for every semester of English, government, economics, geography, psychology, sociology, intro to humanities, p.e., business classes, journalism, computer science, and criminal justice classes.

Umm, isn't it generally understood that 1 semester at cc is equivalent to 1 year at the high school level? Don't get caught up on the numbers but focus rather the substance of what the student is learning. The college will clearly see on the transcript that it's a cc course and not a high school course. Although there are always exceptions, that's a very big difference and will be taken into account. Most cc courses move a lot faster than high school courses, or at least deeper.

We will use the credit procedures pre-determined by our local school board for dual enrolled public high school students.

Levels 1 and 2 of foreign languages count as 1 credit. Levels 3 and 4 count as .5 credit. Most science and math classes count as 1 credit and most history/humanities classes count as .5 credit.