Menu

(CC) Christian witness training

I overheard two ladies talking last week. One was saying she needed to get to church for her class on how to witness to people. I have never heard of this and I was part of an evangelical Southern Baptist Church.

Have you been trained in such a program?

I have. We go to a Southern Baptist Church.

There is a Way of the Master program that people in our have taken. And our church has offered it as a Saturday training(my husband was one of the teachers) for anyone else interested(morning until after lunch, with lunch served). Lots of people have taken this course.

Our pastor also talks about a couple other programs but I'm not sure what they are.

I overheard two ladies talking last week. One was saying she needed to get to church for her class on how to witness to people. I have never heard of this and I was part of an evangelical Southern Baptist Church.

No. I am a member of a SBC congregation. They don't offer such a class (of which I am aware). They do offer seminars which clarify the needs of our community, or in areas where we support missionaries, so that we can help. Just last week I attended a seminar that discussed the Title 1 schools in our town and how we can help there. The assumption is that you reach out to the community, form relationships, and then by a natural outgrowth of that relationship, share your faith in Christ.

The emphasis is on meeting needs and forming relationships. The rest ("witnessing")is an extension of who you are as a Christian. I share the Gospel and its impact on my life as a natural part of my life. It's intrinsic to who I am and I wouldn't be me if I didn't. I don't think I need to be trained in that, other than to study the Bible and pray and be encouraged by my fellow Christians. But maybe I'm blissfully unaware!

I've also been through the Way of the Master program mentioned by the poster above. Because, as Christians, many of us feel the truth about Christ is such good news (in fact, the word "gospel" means "good news"), we realize we need to be prepared to clearly state the truth of the gospel in a clear, applicable way. Unfortunately, many Christians are unsure or fearful about how to do this in a respectful, clear, and appropriate way.

I took one through Liberty University as part of my Bachelor's degree. That class was like a sales class - complete with hooks and closing questions that were not "yes or no" questions. I haven't ever been to a church that had one, though.

I took one through Liberty University as part of my Bachelor's degree. That class was like a sales class - complete with hooks and closing questions that were not "yes or no" questions. I haven't ever been to a church that had one, though.

Just to clarify: The Way of the Master IMO is not set up this way. I do not think witnessing should be handled this way. We are not out to "close the deal" per say. We are only to make a clear presentation IF a person is willing and desirous to listen, do so respectfully, and leave them to think things over and choose for themselves. The way it is taught in The Way of the Master, the person is never pressured to make a decision, join a church, or pray with the person giving the gospel. Telling someone the good news about Christ is not about "selling" something, but about making someone aware of a need and telling them about Christ who can meet that need, and if they so choose to respond, that is up to them. Maybe in some ways it can be like selling, but salesmen have a bad rap for using pressure tactics that have no place in a considerate witness, that I wanted to clarify myself.

Guest janainaz

Witnessing = loving people.

There is no CLASS that any church can teach that will truly teach people how to love. In fact, it is often the very act of witnessing that demonstrates the least amount of love because it can often become impersonal. That is man-made religion.

Just to clarify: The Way of the Master IMO is not set up this way. I do not think witnessing should be handled this way. We are not out to "close the deal" per say. We are only to make a clear presentation IF a person is willing and desirous to listen, do so respectfully, and leave them to think things over and choose for themselves. The way it is taught in The Way of the Master, the person is never pressured to make a decision, join a church, or pray with the person giving the gospel. Telling someone the good news about Christ is not about "selling" something, but about making someone aware of a need and telling them about Christ who can meet that need, and if they so choose to respond, that is up to them. Maybe in some ways it can be like selling, but salesmen have a bad rap for using pressure tactics that have no place in a considerate witness, that I wanted to clarify myself.

That's good to know!

Ok ladies. The reason I asked is because I have questions. I would love to sit down with someone and talk and am trying to figure out how best to do that. I'm afraid of talking with someone who is full of misguided personal opinions. I'm already at a very low place and haven't considered myself religious let alone Christian. The wrong words will utterly defeat me, I'm sure.

I recall the Christian woman who was horrified I had been baptised as a Catholic at age 7 and then baptised as a Baptist at age 13. She told me the two baptisms canceled one another out and that I was back at the beginning of unsaved status. :confused:

My church has a course called "Everyday Evangelism" but I have never taken it to be honest. I don't know if it is similar to the method of Way of the Master or not, but I think it's good for people to have some sort of foundational understanding of basic doctrine and to be equipped with practical tools to share their faith. I could see how a class like that would be beneficial, especially for the more introverted person who wants to share their faith but may struggle with how to go about it.

Ok ladies. The reason I asked is because I have questions. I would love to sit down with someone and talk and am trying to figure out how best to do that. I'm afraid of talking with someone who is full of misguided personal opinions. I'm already at a very low place and haven't considered myself religious let alone Christian. The wrong words will utterly defeat me, I'm sure.

I recall the Christian woman who was horrified I had been baptised as a Catholic at age 7 and then baptised as a Baptist at age 13. She told me the two baptisms canceled one another out and that I was back at the beginning of unsaved status. :confused:

That is INSANE!

I've been baptized twice - once as an infant (Methodist) and once as an adult (fundamentalist Baptist.) When I converted to Catholicism, I didn't have to be baptized again, nor did they think that the two had been cancelled out. That woman was just plain loony!

Baptism according to the Scriptures is simply "a pledge of a good conscience towards God". It is a public profession of the internal conversion. Jesus Christ died in order to reconcile man with God, since man is born into "original sin" and God cannot look upon sin. Jesus who knew no sin, took our sin upon Himself and gave us His righteousness. It is a gift that is offered to all, but it must be received by the believer. When a person asks Jesus Christ to be their Savior and Lord they are accepting that gift. The Bible calls that being "born again". You were born once into sin and you are born again into Christ's righteousness. It is at this point that baptism would come in. Jesus commanded believers to be baptized, but it would be AFTER a personal acceptance of Christ as their savior. Nowhere in the Bible is there an example of an infant baptism or a command to do so. The only closest thing is Hannah who did an infant dedication in which she offered Samuel to God to be raised by the priests. Baptism again, is a pledge of a good conscience toward God, a baby isn't capable of that kind of a pledge.

Hope this helps you. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

I am so sorry about this misguided woman's words to you. What she told you is not anything I have found in the Bible.

I don't know if I fit what you need or not, but I can promise not to respond to you with a hard sell approach. I have seen first hand how truly offensive that is. My dearest friend in the world who has acted as a mother to me in many ways has had to deal with this more than once.

You can pm me if you want to.

Edited by strider
Respond to legalistic baptism comments

Baptism according to the Scriptures is simply "a pledge of a good conscience towards God". It is a public profession of the internal conversion. Jesus Christ died in order to reconcile man with God, since man is born into "original sin" and God cannot look upon sin. Jesus who knew no sin, took our sin upon Himself and gave us His righteousness. It is a gift that is offered to all, but it must be received by the believer. When a person asks Jesus Christ to be their Savior and Lord they are accepting that gift. The Bible calls that being "born again". You were born once into sin and you are born again into Christ's righteousness. It is at this point that baptism would come in. Jesus commanded believers to be baptized, but it would be AFTER a personal acceptance of Christ as their savior. Nowhere in the Bible is there an example of an infant baptism or a command to do so. The only closest thing is Hannah who did an infant dedication in which she offered Samuel to God to be raised by the priests. Baptism again, is a pledge of a good conscience toward God, a baby isn't capable of that kind of a pledge.

Hope this helps you. :)

Maybe the infant vs. adult baptism should be a separate thread?

Maybe the infant vs. adult baptism should be a separate thread?

Why do you think it should be a separate thread?? :confused: Didn't the OP say she had questions about baptism? I was just trying to (hopefully) answer her question. She might not read a separate thread.

Guest Virginia Dawn

We don't call it witness training but our congregation does have specific events where everyone is encourage to learn how to present the gospel in a non-offensive manner.

If I can help in any way, I'm willing to be as open and honest as possible when it comes admitting I could be wrong or I don't know. :-)

Why do you think it should be a separate thread?? :confused: Didn't the OP say she had questions about baptism? I was just trying to (hopefully) answer her question. She might not read a separate thread.

I thought she had questions about Christianity, not necessarily questions about baptism.

I was typing out a response, but don't want to clutter up the thread. If the OP wants a good discussion of the Catholic Church's view of baptism, here's a good explanation:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Infant_Baptism.asp

I only offer the CAtholic view as she stated she was baptized as a Catholic at age 7.

That woman was seriously misguided. Baptism does not make one saved nor unsaved. You either trust Jesus as your Savior or you don't. He did the work, we reap the eternal benefit. You can pm me if you want, Beth. I love to listen and I promise not to just give my opinion.

Oh, I've gotten lots of responses, both on thread and in PM. Now I have to figure out how to answer everyone! Thank you!

I wasn't questioning baptism really. I only used that example as the type of statement that has confused me. It's wrong of me to assume that all Christians will behave a certain way. I knew this when I considered myself a Christian as well. It's just hard to cull through the layers to get to the source. That's what I'm working on. :)

We don't have a "witnessing class" at my church either. I don't know, I just think telling people about Jesus should come straight from your heart.

:grouphug: to you Beth, as you walk this road.

Forgot to say that I belong to a Church of God.

:grouphug: I've never been through that type of class and I don't think I would go to one. Why? Because of exactly what you've said here.

For me, "witnessing" (and I really hate to even call it that) is an earned privilege you are granted through invested relationships with others. IOW, you have natural relationships with others in your life and they begin to trust you to the point where they want to sit down and talk with you about your faith.

I am always willing to talk about my faith and I pray that my day to day life is a silent witness to those around me. But, I don't try to insert myself into some unnatural situation where I'm witnessing just for witnessing sake. It's just not me.

It sounds like you've received lots of offers to talk but I'm available, too.:)

Oh, I've gotten lots of responses, both on thread and in PM. Now I have to figure out how to answer everyone! Thank you!

I wasn't questioning baptism really. I only used that example as the type of statement that has confused me. It's wrong of me to assume that all Christians will behave a certain way. I knew this when I considered myself a Christian as well. It's just hard to cull through the layers to get to the source. That's what I'm working on. :)

I apologize then. I misunderstood your post. I thought when you said you had a lot of questions and then asked about Baptism that that topic was one of the things you had questions about. My bad. :)

The campus ministries offered a few classes on evangelism back when I was in college. They had very different approaches from one another. One had a more "go out and question random people" kind of approach, which is not my style. The other I think was actually good ... it was designed to make us think about OUR witness ... what in our lives really makes us believe in and rely on God? Then we'd have a ready answer when an occasion arose to truly discuss things with someone. I liked that one.

I don't know that Christians need salesmanship classes, LOL, but I do think we (as in the ones I know personally, and Christians in general) can sometimes be shy about sharing our faith ... afraid to scare someone off, or afraid we don't have the 'right' answers, or just aren't secure in knowing why we believe what we believe. So a class that helps us clarify our own thinking can only be a good thing. :)

Now if we could just have a class that cured shyness in general, I'd be good to go. LOL.

:grouphug: I've never been through that type of class and I don't think I would go to one. Why? Because of exactly what you've said here.

Yes, it would be nice to have family or friends who could share their faith with me. Unfortunately, the only person in my life who is a Christian is my sister and ours is a shaky relationship based on years of hurts. She has tried to reach out to me but she's one of the people that has made me lose my faith. The other Christians I've met in the past 7 years have been in the homeschooling community and I didn't meet one that seemed to care about reaching out to me, even when I asked.

I apologize then. I misunderstood your post. I thought when you said you had a lot of questions and then asked about Baptism that that topic was one of the things you had questions about. My bad. :)

No apology needed! I find baptism a fascinating topic. It's another of those things that just seems like it should be universally understood, but yet has different meanings in different faiths.

The other I think was actually good ... it was designed to make us think about OUR witness ... what in our lives really makes us believe in and rely on God? Then we'd have a ready answer when an occasion arose to truly discuss things with someone. I liked that one.

THAT is what I'd like to hear. A real person talking real feelings. I'm glad to know they exist. I just wish I could find one in real life to talk with face to face! :)

I once knew someone who witnessed to everyone: the cashier at McDonald's who had just taken her order, the person who just happened to be sitting next to her, anyone who came near her. So it seems that most of you would not be in favor of that kind of witnessing, is that what you are saying?

No apology needed! I find baptism a fascinating topic. It's another of those things that just seems like it should be universally understood, but yet has different meanings in different faiths.

While we personally believe in adult baptism through immersion, we have joined churches that believe in sprinkling and infant baptism!

When we get moved (5 times in the last 7 years, another one this summer, another the year after that), we just try to find the closest church that is Biblically sound and seems Spirit filled. You get to hear all sides of many issues that way.

However, while baptism is an important issue, it is not a critical one. The critical issues are those laid out in C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it. These are the issues we judge a church by.

I can try to answer questions for you if you want, too. Plus, who knows, we may move near you eventually and then we could talk IRL! (We're currently near Little Rock, AR and moving to Santa Monica, CA, this summer. We'll be visiting family in the Boise, ID and Seattle, WA areas on our way for extended periods of time.)