Menu

Toddler dance party at a bar?

But why?

I love your posts because you usually give a lot of info...give me some thoughts here!

Well call me "old-fashioned", but acculturating children to bar-culture (including serving them faux-cocktails), strikes a part of my being that still has ancestral memory of my family's Puritan past as "unseemly". And such acculturation could, I'm afraid, put some of these kids on a road to ruin.

I don't find it at all appropriate. Not a bit more than when there used to be candy-cigarettes in my youth (dating self) so kids could faux-smoke.

There are better and more appropriate life-styles to model for children. So for me this is not even a close call.

Bill

I did not read the article.

But I will say that my dd has been in a bar. She was 3!

Think dark, cold Alaskan winter.

A local bar (has a kitchen and serves the best pizza) had Family Night every Wednesday. But you had to be out by 10' if you had kids.

They had a basket ball hoop, air hockey, fooze ball, a gazillion other games for kids. We went almost every week because it was 5 minutes walking distance from the house, we didn't have to cook dinner and instead had GOOD pizza and a night out with other moms and kids.

Now MIND YOU - this was ALASKA.

A small town of 5,000 in town and 5,000 outside town.

We were winter bound and getting out was a necessity.

It was a clean bar, good food, and kid friendly.

People in that town had manners and class.

It was outback ruggad in many ways but folks were polite.

Now that I think about watching the kids run around on a dance floor full of games and other moms sitting down at the table eating pizza, it strikes me as being oddly similar to Chuck E. Cheese.....without the chaos and with a beer.

I very much understand what you are discussing here. I am from a rural town in Montana. Thanks so much for this perspective.

The dance party mentioned, however, is a very different enviroment in a very different sort of town.

Again thanks for this perspective and bringing to light that "bar" can really mean a lot of different things.

e

I think it's a great idea. The pictures reminded me of a wedding we went to in the fall. Kids out on the dance floor, having a great time. And yes, my 3YO would just LOVE to have a dance party to go to. She danced the night away at that wedding!

And at the wedding, there were adults drinking. At least you don't have that at the bar in this story.

I don't find it at all appropriate. Not a bit more than when there used to be candy-cigarettes in my youth (dating self) so kids could faux-smoke.

Oooh, I used to LOVE those candy cigarettes. I can remember pretending to smoke with them at the pool. Not advocating it as a good idea but it did provide me with some fun nostalgia for the day. ;)

I think it's a great idea. The pictures reminded me of a wedding we went to in the fall. Kids out on the dance floor, having a great time. And yes, my 3YO would just LOVE to have a dance party to go to. She danced the night away at that wedding!

And at the wedding, there were adults drinking. At least you don't have that at the bar in this story.

I do not think they were not drinking. The article did not mention this specifically and one of the photos, I think, shows a beer next to a sippy cup.

Anywho...

this is good conversation. I don't really think my issue is with the drinking. I think I can, at least, narrow down that part of it. I am not opposed to drinking really.

pondering still...

as I said before I am usually on the other side of issues such as this.

??

Well call me "old-fashioned", but acculturating children to bar-culture (including serving them faux-cocktails), strikes a part of my being that still has ancestral memory of my family's Puritan past as "unseemly". And such acculturation could, I'm afraid, put some of these kids on a road to ruin.

There are better and more appropriate life-styles to model for children. So for me this is not even a close call.

Bill

:iagree:

I'm not opposed to drinking or bars, in general, in their proper place, but very young children in a bar just doesn't seem proper. And faux cocktails? Why? They're very young children. Bars are for adults, not children or for older fogies like dh and me. Besides, here they allow smoking in bars. I wouldn't want my children breathing all that second hand smoke.

Janet

The faux coctails *do* bother me. Fun, fruity, smoothie like drinks makes sense. But specifically designed to mimic alcoholic beverages? Not so much. Bill's point about faux smoking is a good one.

There is a wide range of "bar". There are smoky,dingy, with alcohol advertising and scantily clad women laden advertising, dirty local hole in the wall bars (I work in one). There are clean, nonsmoking, with state of the art games, video machines, tv's and children's menus "bars". I work in one of those, too.

The first I would not want my kids in, even during the day with no local, usual clientele. The second? No problem.

Bill

I remember candy cigarettes (I was not allowed to have them!). We were also given faux drinks as a child, which I don't have a problem with. We get them for our kids when we're out sometimes. But I don't have a problem with drinking in general, and I think modeling moderate drinking is fine. I don't even have a problem with children being given small sips of drinks or watered wine (which is probably a cultural thing...and both my kids hate the taste anyway).

Bill

I can't say it any better than this. (ETA: :iagree: with Bill here)

And I had candy cigarettes as a kid too. :001_huh:

IMO, a vast gulf separates "modeling moderate drinking" and "going to a bar" (notwithstanding the varied definitions of "bar").

Edited by Mommy22alyns
clarification, always a good thing online

I can't say it any better than this.

IMO, a vast gulf separates "modeling moderate drinking" and "going to a bar" (notwithstanding the varied definitions of "bar").

Let me say it this way, I agree with you :D

Bill

This is awful! It sounds like their are trying to introduce the children to the bar scene. I'm am totally shoked that this would be allowed! I thought you had to be 21 to get into a bar? I guess not anymore. What are they going to subject our children to next? How awful!:mad:

Usually you don't have to be if you are with your parents (and in some states you may order drinks for your children). Plus, this bar was not being used as a bar at the time of the party.

Honestly, I'm not shocked. I think it's one of those things where if you don't like it...that's fine. Don't go to something like that. If you don't mind them...then go.

I can't say it any better than this.

So, if I model "moderate drinking" at a bar...that's not okay?

And as far as I can tell...there were no drinks being served at this bar. No drinking was being modeled (except the kind that keeps you hydrated).

Do you also disagree with taking kids places like VFW's and the like?

Let me say it this way, I agree with you :D

Bill

I edited my earlier post for clarification - I was saying I couldn't say it much better than you had. ;)

So, if I model "moderate drinking" at a bar...that's not okay?

And as far as I can tell...there were no drinks being served at this bar. No drinking was being modeled (except the kind that keeps you hydrated).

Do you also disagree with taking kids places like VFW's and the like?

If you want to model moderate drinking at a bar, have at it. But there are better places to model it than a bar, IMO. A restaurant, home, whatever. Most Americans, if asked, would associate a bar with drinking, not just socializing and dinner. It's probably just my personal perception.

I've taken the girls to restaurants that have bars attached to them, but the sole purpose of the place isn't to drink, it's to have dinner. In my mind, that distinction is important. It may not be so to others.

I confess my ignorance of what VFW's are like.

Hmm...we have been to fund raisers and such at bars with our kids (usually for kids with cancer or some other illness), but it was clearly a fundraising event and not a 'mini-club party'. This seems like a monthly event to 'introduce' kids to the club scene. They have dancing, faux drinks, mingling, and so on. I think that is what clubs/bars are for in the adult world though I admit having never been to one I only have my perception to go on.

Obviously the families in attendance had no issue with it, and they are entitled to raise their children the way that they choose, but as for my kids, no way.