Menu

Have I failed my children academically? Need some encouragement...

We've only been homeschooling for 4 years. Dd12 spent 4th - 7th at home, ds10 2nd -5th. Both will attend public school again next year. First 2 years we were with cyber academies. As for History, ds10 had a year of ancients and a year of Rome - Ref. or thereabouts w/ the cyber. Dd12 had a year of moderns and then a year of Amer. Hist through the Civil War w/ the cyber. Then we began our journey homeschooling independently. So, we started back with Ancients using MOH...we got through Egypt :glare: (it was a rough year). This year we tried using MFW ECC and gave that up, too. :glare: Another rough year. So, next year they go back to school. Dd12 will study Amer. Hist from around the Civil War...so that's good. But, she's had little to no world history yet at all. Ds10...not sure what they study in 6th. He's had 2 years of world, no American (no biggie...he'll get that in 7th and 8th). Ugh. I'm just feeling like I've spent so much time waffling btwn. curriculums, trying this and that and in the process...screwing my kids up! Don't even ask me about science! Tell me they will be fine. Tell me I've not screwed them up for good.

You haven't screwed them up. :-)

I'll tell you what counts academically more than what you did for history: English and math skills. If those are on par, then your dc will do just fine. Every era of history will be studied again, multiple times, over the next few years; ditto with science.

And your dc have had the most important years of their lives at home with you. Congratulations. :-)

You can't have messed them up for good. As for the history, I can tell you that the average 7th grader has had almost no world history. They get bits and pieces but almost all of public school education is focused on Am/US history. So your kids might be a little off on that, but it's nothing they can't pick up.

Like Ellie said, English and math skills are what count, especially prior to 7th grade and high school.

I hope your kids enjoy public school and it goes very well for y'all :)

I agree with what's been said.

If you've given them a solid foundation with the 3R's - you're good to go.

As far as science - get a few field guides and play ouside as much as you can this summer.

Carschool math and english facts.....like times table practice and memory work (list of pronouns, prepositions, helping verbs, what questions an adverb answers). If you are really worried about history you could listen to tapes in the car and after school the elders while schooling the youngers.

Links I use any excuse to post:

I have their medicinal and edible plants books. Beautiful.

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/petersonhome.cfm

http://www.audubon.org/market/licensed/fieldguides.html

Scroll down to the regional field guides- these offer a sampling of wild life from whatever area you live. They cover everything from stars to topography, bugs to birds, flowers to trees, etc....

ETA - they will be fine.

I was placed in gifted classes in elementary and middle school. That meant that I was pulled out of regular classes for gifted. The classes I was usually pulled out of were science and history. When I had classes in High school, I was still in the top of the class (except for the sciences that involved math).

Mine are only six, so what do I know? But I'm beginning to think that real teaching is less about cramming their brains full of "stuff" and much more about teaching them how to learn new things.

So once they've got reading and math, they can take themselves anywhere if they know how to research and absorb a topic.

A loving teacher/mom is so many light years ahead of a paid teacher that I don't think it can be emphasized enough. Your children will always have the time you spent with them.

Alicia

Mine are only six, so what do I know? But I'm beginning to think that real teaching is less about cramming their brains full of "stuff" and much more about teaching them how to learn new things.

So once they've got reading and math, they can take themselves anywhere if they know how to research and absorb a topic.

A loving teacher/mom is so many light years ahead of a paid teacher that I don't think it can be emphasized enough. Your children will always have the time you spent with them.

Alicia

:iagree:

But don't think I didn't worry that I'd ruined my daughter because she was my guinea pig when it came to trying out "the best" curriculum. Do you know what she knows now?? She learned that she can do anything if she puts her mind to it because I taught her how to love learning. Believe me, she had gaps. . . many of them. . .but she's doing just fine!

Don't worry. It takes longer than that to screw kids up! I don't think the average public schooled kid does much world history, and if they do, I'll bet it isn't in any proper context and won't really stick. Over here, they don't really do anything you could properly call science until year 8.

Rosie

Like others, I wouldn't sweat the history and so forth very much.

I would want to make sure they have a solid skills set, so I'd probably give them a standardized test to suss things out a bit.

I'd also go to the lead teacher of whatever grade they are going to be in and ask, "What are the three most important things my kid needs to succeed next year?"

Then I'd spend the rest of this school year shoring up weaknesses and working on needed skills. One thing I imagine any hs'd kid might need help with is study skills - - taking notes, writing book reports, etc.

Every school varies in how they approach things, that is why I would go straight to the source and ask.

I have had this conversation with so many friends. We all go through periods of feeling like we are failing our kids. But we aren't - even if they don't get every subject they would have had in a school, and I'm not convinced those specific subject are all necessary, especially in the early years, they are getting more one-on-one attention, more specific to them teaching, and more depth - hands down.

If you are willing to sacrifice your time and energy to love your children in this way, and to no be afraid to ask for advice and help, tit is impossible to fail the kids. IMHO.

Ok, I really needed that. :)