Menu

Ideas needed for colorful K math

Ann@thebeach

I have a 4 yr old that can identify numbers to 10 and count easily to 20 and often higher to 50. He can even count backwards from 10. He's recently even started counting by 10s because his sister is working on that right now.

We often do math in every day activities like counting things and adding things together.

I think he'd enjoy doing more math activities and he's obviously ready to learn more at this "sponge" stage but I'm just not the type to make them up as I go. I much rather have a book or guide of some sort to follow.

Any ideas of some fun, colorful math for the K level? I was planning on starting MCP K next year but I think it might be a bit too dull for him at this point since he's pretty visual.

Anyone use the counting frog series (don't remember the name)?

Thanks

My visual dd loved BJU K Math. The teacher's guide has a lot of hands-on type instruction, and then the workbook is very colorful and visual in it's explanations & practice. I introduced this book when she was 4.5-5 and she found it quite easy. It taught all the usual K stuff: numbers, counting, money, time, measuring, calendar, adding, subtracting, place value...I did not use the teacher's guide as much as I should have, but she really just wanted to get right to the workbook. Now she's 6 and will finish 1st gr BJU Math tomorrow (which makes me kind of sad, in a way...she'll be getting into more serious math soon!) One thing to note: sometimes the workbook will refer to the teacher's guide (instructions say: "listen to your teacher", which you are then supposed to read out of the teacher's guide). Some people find that frustrating because they didn't want to purchase the expensive TG. Other people just make up their own instructions. And then there's me, who likes having a TG and tries to use it, at least occasionally!

We found Right Start to have plenty of color due to the manipulatives, with very little writing, which may be good if he's not ready for that. You could get level A and do a half lesson or so each time, which usually only takes from 10-20 minutes.

If you just want something informal, Peggy Kaye's Games for Math is good.

THe Saxon workbook isn't colorful, but it's only a very small part of the lesson. Do the test on Sonlight's website to see where he falls--he might be ready for Saxon 1. The "color" and visual stuff comes from the manipulatives. I also ditched the meeting book and used a poster sized calendar and some sentence strips to make the patterns.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I need to look at Singapore more because I used that with my oldest when he was in 1st grade before we switched over to MCP.

I liked the program but my son didn't. However, this son is a very different learner from my first and I think this might be appealing to him.

I'll check out the DK too, I vaguely remember seeing this and it was colorful.

THe Saxon workbook isn't colorful, but it's only a very small part of the lesson. Do the test on Sonlight's website to see where he falls--he might be ready for Saxon 1. The "color" and visual stuff comes from the manipulatives. I also ditched the meeting book and used a poster sized calendar and some sentence strips to make the patterns.
My dd had just turned 5 when we started her in the Saxon 1 math. It was really quite easy for her. We ended up skipping pages, then slowing down on new or harder areas. We did like aspects of it though, but I'd say if you went with Saxon, you should definitely do Saxon 1, NOT K!

With my ds who is now 15, we used A Beka K and 1 in his K year. He loved the books, and they're very colorful! He went through them quickly because he loved them so much!

Another vote for Earlybird Singapore, and more importantly I'd suggest Cuisenaire Rods which are not only colorful, but make quantities comprehensible to young children.

Cuisenaire Rods can be be an "essential" element even with a program that is pretty un-colorful (like Miquon, which uses the Rods to great advantage).

But do pick a math program because it is a great one and suited to your child's learning style, and not based simply on how colorful the pages are. KWIM?

Bill

Another vote for Earlybird Singapore, and more importantly I'd suggest Cuisenaire Rods which are not only colorful, but make quantities comprehensible to young children.

Cuisenaire Rods can be be an "essential" element even with a program that is pretty un-colorful (like Miquon, which uses the Rods to great advantage).

Bill

We do have the rods but have never really used them. My DD never really got the hang of them (we have the unmarked ones) and got frustrated so we didn't pursue them and just stuck with the MCP math that my older one used. MCP has worked great for both of them but I know each child is different and my 4 yr old is definitely proving that theory!

I'm still hoping that MCP might work for him later but I think right now just for this first year or 2 that something more visual and conceptual might work better for him.

We do have the rods but have never really used them. My DD never really got the hang of them (we have the unmarked ones) and got frustrated so we didn't pursue them and just stuck with the MCP math that my older one used. MCP has worked great for both of them but I know each child is different and my 4 yr old is definitely proving that theory!

I'm still hoping that MCP might work for him later but I think right now just for this first year or 2 that something more visual and conceptual might work better for him.

If you learn how the Cuisenaire Rods can be introduced and used (Miquon and the 3 Miquon teachers books are great for this, but there are other alternatives) I think there is a good chance you'd have a different experience with your son.

Once you have the "a ha" moment you can help gently lead the discovery and for understanding qualitative relationships (without counting) the rods are invaluable. And kids can work out "equations" even before they can write.

There is a tiny amount of "prep" work a parent need to do so these are not just hunks of plastic, but once that's done you have a tool that can really promote mathyness and confidence. And can be adapted to use with almost any math program, since you can just do the problems in a different way. KWIM?

Try this. Pull out the rods. Pick an orange rod. Ask your son to stack other blocks in as many different combinations as he can to make the same value.

And then have him line up one each of all the rods from smallest to greatest., then greatest to smallest. Lean the units. How many "units" to you need to add to the purple rod to equal a yellow rod, and so on.

Play "inequalities" games. Which one is greater yellow or black? Make it "play" and the rewards will be huge.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

If you learn how the Cuisenaire Rods can be introduced and used (Miquon and the 3 Miquon teachers books are great for this, but there are other alternatives) I think there is a good chance you'd have a different experience with your son.

Once you have the "a ha" moment you can help gently lead the discovery and for understanding qualitative relationships (without counting) the rods are invaluable. And kids can work out "equations" even before they can write.

There is a tiny amount of "prep" work a parent need to do so these are not just hunks of plastic, but once that's done you have a tool that can really promote mathyness and confidence. And can be adapted to use with almost any math program, since you can just do the problems in a different way. KWIM?

Try this. Pull out the rods. Pick an orange rod. Ask your son to stack other blocks in as many different combinations as he can to make the same value.

And then have him line up one each of all the rods from smallest to greatest., then greatest to smallest. Lean the units. How many "units" to you need to add to the purple rod to equal a yellow rod, and so on.

Play "inequalities" games. Which one is greater yellow or black? Make it "play" and the rewards will be huge.

Bill

:iagree:

Singapore Early Bird supplemented with Miquon and cuisinaire rods would provide an excellent (and fun) foundation in math concepts. I wish DS11 had learned math this way, I'm now trying to backtrack a bit and give him a better conceptual understanding instead of just a rote/mechanical one. He loved math in 1st grade, but public school textbooks fixed that! DD6 is getting the benefit of hindsight; I am starting her in Miquon and Singapore while she still thinks math is fun!

Jackie