Menu

Pugs again. You guys scared me

with the whole "eye popping out" thing.

I've got a serious gross out issue with eyes. Can't watch people put in contacts, can't look at pictures of eyes, and I'd probably vomit and pass out if this happened.

Is this a problem that is likely to occur? Really, this breed seems almost perfect for us. But y'all might have ruined it :p.

Be honest, but not too detailed, please :eek:.

We've had two pugs for the last 5 years and have not had an eye problem! Some pugs eyes don't bug out as much as others.

Heather my black male is named Truffle and he is such a sweetie! My other boy is tan and named Mr. Muffin and he is a sweetie too!

The only reason our pug's eye popped out is because a car door tapped the side of her head.

If you said "Our pug's eye popped out because a car door slammed into the side of her head", I'd feel better about it because it would seem more of a freak thing.

So tell me this---do you really think it was just a freak thing not likely to be repeated :D?

I have a 3 year old pug named Festis...

No.WAY! My pug was very nearly Festus! :D I ended up calling him Mr. Fezziwig (Fez or Fezzi for short).

Judolops, Fez has scratched his eye and needed a vet trip, but it definitely wasn't a pug-specific injury, kwim? That said, there are a lot of really hideous specimens out there with extra-bug eyes and ::shudder: what I call "east-west eyes" that are sort of the opposite of crossed eyes. :eek:

Do you have a breeder in mind? Pugs are, like any popular dog, indiscriminately bred, and most backyard breeders really don't have a clue. Fez is from a backyard breeder, and I got lucky (thus far); I would use a hobby breeder that shows next time and just get a pet quality pup.

Like someone else, my little raisin-face does seem to have sensitive skin (that he scratches noisily :rolleyes:), but I got a shampoo from my vet that's helping.

If you said "Our pug's eye popped out because a car door slammed into the side of her head", I'd feel better about it because it would seem more of a freak thing.

So tell me this---do you really think it was just a freak thing not likely to be repeated :D?

I think it was just a freak occurence. As long as you don't take your pug on a 90-minute drive to grandma's on Easter so that she can be left there to have her teeth cleaned at the more affordable vet's rather than at the expensive vet's in the city AND as long as you don't have a baby bunny rapidly approaching death in a cardboard box that you've desperately been trying to save after rescuing it from a one-eyed cat the day before AND the pug doesn't try to get in the car with you and the bunny when it's time to leave her there sans bunny, you should be just fine.

And I have squicky eye issues, too. As did the expensive city vet who charged more to remove the one stitch from her eye a week later than the country vet who came in to the office on Easter afternoon (and he'd been out since the crack of dawn delivering calves and hadn't eaten and was grumpy) to push the eye back in and then cleaned her teeth that day instead of on Monday so that my mom would stop bugging him about how the pug was used to sleeping in bed at night and how she'd need to come by to pick the pug up that evening so she wouldn't be traumatized and bring her back on Monday for the teeth cleaning.

Freak occurence. Won't happen to you.

The only thing I know about pugs is that my friend's dear pug would get a cold, sinus, nasal congestion..WHATEVER, and she would have to open his mouth for him so he could breath. He didn't have the brains to do it himself. The stupid dog would pass out...:rolleyes: He was, otherwise, a very sweet dog.

Pugs' eyes can pop out if they are very stressed. I was restraining a pug for a vet who took lots of breaks so the dog wouldn't get too stressed out and pop an eye.

As far as I know, it's not very common at all. And some do have "buggier" eyes than others.

I think they're sweet dogs!