Menu

Need shirts for young teen girls that are LONG enough

Today is the semi-anual "try on the clothes to see what fits" day here. We have LOTS of hand me downs so there is a lot to go through that has been in storage.

I am running into the problem that so many of the shirts are cut so SHORT that my girls belly hangs out. We don't like that look. They wear size 12 or so in girls but have developed some so we need ones that fit well over a bra as well.

Would looking at small womens or junior sizes help me? They are tiny girls--only 4'9" tall and 80 pounds at 12 and 13. They are not long in the torso either.

Where should I look? Even which department might help as we like to shop thrift stores, etc. I just want your basic summer shirts that will go with demin shorts/capris, etc.

The current fashion is towards longer shirts. I would suggest maybe finding a few tanks that are longer and can be worn underneath the hand me downs that you've been blessed with. My girls are both married and sahm..but both are wearing older shirts they love with a longer tee underneath them.

I so feel your pain tho trying to keep your girls modest in this world. It is soo difficult to shop for young women these days!

Cami's are a great answer here too!

I hate to keep harping on Lands' End, but really, we just got a few shirts and I loved the length for my longer torso'ed daughter. So I think they would work wonderfully for you! The quality is excellent, do shrinkage and they wash and wear really well. I can't speak for every single shirt they have but the basic t's that we got were wonderful!

We found a huge selection of longer shirts in the right size at Kohls. They're the style that are high waisted with a little bow tie or sinch, and then the rest is really long to the middle or bottom of the bum. I really like Kohls. The prices are great, and they have a great selection.

A few years ago, bare tummies were the norm. Fortunately, trends have changed. You'd be hard pressed to find a shirt these days that isn't long! The current fashion is to wear two or three long, thin shirts, one on top of the other, with the inside shirts pulled down a couple inches lower than the one on top, leaving a stripe of color around the hips. Then, they wear a short little hoodie on top of that.

I like the look, and I love that they're covering their tummies. I don't love having to buy two shirts instead of one, but the fabric is so thin that it doesn't cover very well by itself.