Menu

Opinion on baby name for the cactus seedling

We chose a boy's name early on, but are struggling to find the right name for a girl. I've always liked the name April, but am uncertain about using it for an actual child. I have concerns:

April sounds too sexy and will give the child trouble in life and prevent her from being taken seriously.

April sounds too girly-frou-frou and will prevent the child from being taken seriously.

April sounds too lightweight or insubstantial. and will handicap or hinder the child in life.

April sounds like the name of someone who isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier and will handicap or hinder the child in life.

April is weird and/or not pretty or suitable as a name.

So these are some of my worries about the name. The trouble is I still like the name! I can think of lots of good things about it and counter-arguments for my doubts. I can't decide whether it's a contender or not.

What do you think of this name for a child born in 2009?

Like it well enough, go for it.

Just don't like it, choose something else.

Don't like it for one of the reasons listed above (specify).

Other

Thanks for any ideas and feedback!:001_smile:

Whoa, that was weird! When I submitted my vote, it took me to a post of Janna's on the How To and Test Posting board!!!

Anyway, I like April, but I don't love it. It feels slightly dated to me, but if you like it, you should totally go for it.

Should we throw out some other names? I've always loved Claire (DH didn't), Emma (trendy, I know), Catherine (was almost DD3's name), Summer (I'm a neo-hippie).

What does your DH think about April?

She will make the name, not the other way around.

:iagree: Nicely put!

And, fwiw, I like the name April. But I'll admit my bias and let you know up-front that I love names that evoke nature, and April makes me think of Spring.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the name April, but not for any of your reasons. Not for any particular reason at all, frankly. So I chose "Go for it!"

But I don't like the name Carrie, either. I've never found it to be a handicap though. Okay, unless you count the fact that I did have a crush on a guy named Carey once, but felt it would be wrong to go there!:lol:

I'm enjoying all the responses! So fun:001_smile:

Dh has little reaction about any name, unless he hates it--and he hates most of my suggestions:001_smile: If he doesn't hate it, it goes on the list.

Suggestions are welcome!

Not a real cactus, too funny...the sibling of my cactus pair (2 dc) that I already have:D

Cactus pears are a joke in the family, which is how I chose my board name (plus I love cactus plants). I think of this one as a cactus seed or bloom.

Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated.

I love the name April! I have a friend from high school named April. Actually, she was probably more my sister's friend, but very sweet. She has 4 children now, I believe - she finally got her girl. :)

*I* wanted to name Abbie, and Isaac had he been a girl, Lila. It was my great grandmother's name. If you come back and mention that you've named your newest cactus seedling Lila Ruth, I will most likely dissolve into puddles of happy tears. :D

(Good thing Schmooey was a boy and obviously so from pretty early on. Dh really hates the name Lila and I was going to use it anyway because I fill out the certificates, and it was my turn to choose the girl name. :Angel_anim:)

*I* wanted to name Abbie, and Isaac had he been a girl, Lila. It was my great grandmother's name. If you come back and mention that you've named your newest cactus seedling Lila Ruth, I will most likely dissolve into puddles of happy tears. :D

(Good thing Schmooey was a boy and obviously so from pretty early on. Dh really hates the name Lila and I was going to use it anyway because I fill out the certificates, and it was my turn to choose the girl name. :Angel_anim:)

Lyla is the girl name my dh suggested and I love it!