Menu

I'm a Supply Junkie...

specialmama

YA BABY! I'm a supply junkie too! AND...  

1. 1. YA BABY! I'm a supply junkie too! AND...

• I did play school as a child! I was usually the teacher!
    • I did play school as a child! I was usually the student, or principal, or class pet!
    • I did NOT play school as a child! Ever!
    • I think it's because I inherited some weird gene...
    • I hated school throughout my life! What's with THAT?
    • that's enough info. You know too much. I'm going away now... to sniff some crayons.

I just smelled my daughter's new whiteboard eraser. I had to. The urge was simply too strong to fight. :001_tt1: She looked at me like I'd lost my last few marbles. :lol: When in a department store, I make a dash to where all the sharpies are displayed. :hurray: I admire them. They're so pretty, aren't they? All in their perfect packages, neatly standing in a row... such bright colours... ahhhhhh. :drool5: Oh and I simply *must* touch and smell every eraser and I *must* try every single gel pen out the moment I bring them home. Pages should be shiny and smooth, and the fact that I soon get to shop for next years supplies and curriculum severely interrupts with my sleep! I wake an hour before the alarm clock, but instead of turning over and going back to sleep, I hop out of bed and run down the stairs in order to do more research, in hopes of confirming what I believe will be a *perfect* fit for our family. If I'm uber lucky, I'll find some "look inside!" samples on Amazon, or a great new review on a homeschool site.

Why? Because I'm a suppy geek... a junkie... a girl who is wondering if she's the only one out there. Please tell me I'm not alone! If there are many of us, perhaps we can figure out why we're like this! Did you play school as a young girl? I must know! It's got to be a link!

P.S.: I just know some of you are *dying* to find out: the whiteboard eraser smelled like a marriage of chemically treated felt and styrofoam. :w00t:

P.S.S., or is it P.P.S.?, ah no matter: If you are NOT a supply geek, a simple response of "you're all nuts" will suffice. Thanks! hee hee

Edited by specialmama
arg

sorry for the cross post, I did mean to only post on the general board... so I copied this post over there, but now I can't see how I can delete this post... hmmmm... :glare: If anyone can delete this or tell me how... or we'll have to live with 2 silly polls about supply junkies LOL... hey, that's not tooooo bad! :lol:

I have one child. Yet, I have an entire 5-shelf bookcase just for supplies. They are all sorted into the Rubbermaid shoebox containers with a neat, computer-printed label attached to the front.

There's a box for pencils, highlighters, markers, sharpies, tape, glue, crayons, sharpies, staples/staplers, math tools, science tools, paper stuff(index cards and post-its), paint, art tools, craft supplies, ribbons, glitter, etc. I did reserve one shelf for binders, folders, and notebooks that are just waiting for a purpose.

My name is Melanie and I am a supply junkie!

I had 3 Latin books before I had children or thought of homeschooling said future children.

I've had 12+ phonics books for the last 10 years, collected over the years of tutoring, I'm up to 20+ now.

I only had one elementary math book last year, now I have 3 different math programs and am contemplating buying another! (It's all people's fault here that I have all these new math programs; however, it's been helpful, actually, using a bit of what works from each and changing to suit my daughter's needs. It's not your fault that we have shelves full of high school and college level math books, we just have those on our own.)

My daughter gets excited when new books come, too, she likes to try them out! She's a curriculum junkie in training, she's already teaching her brother and making tests for him. (Strangely enough, I don't recall ever playing school, although I did enjoy helping other people at school with their work when they needed help.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Yep, supplies, curriculum, you name it, I've got it.

Not only do we have shelves, upon shelves, but I've been forced to turn a spare shower in the bathroom off the classroom into a storage closet. DH keeps hoping someday we'll be able to use it.:confused: I don't quite understand, we have two other bathrooms, what's the problem.;)

Let's see, I have Sonlight Cores for the next two years after this, and math for the next four . . . :D I can't resist buying new supplies every year, even though I have plenty! There's just something about fresh paper and the smell of ink . . . :tongue_smilie:

I am totally with you on this one. Supplies, curriculum, manipulatives, planning books, etc, etc, etc. I agree with whoever said that it's this board that is so enabling, but that it is helpful to have all these different things around for whenever we may need them.

art supplies are my weakness. my kids have every imaginable type of paper, paint, brush, medium...they are also oversupplied on notebooks, paper, pencils, etc. i have an aversion to notebook paper, however, so they have never owned any. it never fits and lines up with the other papers in the notebook, unless you use college rule and they're too little for that, yet.

I just smelled my daughter's new whiteboard eraser. I had to. The urge was simply too strong to fight. She looked at me like I'd lost my last few marbles. :lol: When in a department store, I make a dash to where all the sharpies are displayed. :hurray: I admire them. They're so pretty, aren't they? All in their perfect packages, neatly standing in a row... such bright colours... ahhhhhh. :drool5: Oh and I simply *must* touch and smell every eraser and I *must* try every single gel pen out the moment I bring them home. Pages should be shiny and smooth, and the fact that I soon get to shop for next years supplies and curriculum severely interrupts with my sleep! I wake an hour before the alarm clock, but instead of turning over and going back to sleep, I hop out of bed and run down the stairs in order to do more research, in hopes of confirming what I believe will be a *perfect* fit for our family. If I'm uber lucky, I'll find some "look inside!" samples on Amazon, or a great new review on a homeschool site.

Why? Because I'm a suppy geek... a junkie... a girl who is wondering if she's the only one out there. Please tell me I'm not alone! If there are many of us, perhaps we can figure out why we're like this! Did you play school as a young girl? I must know! It's got to be a link!

Did I already respond:001_unsure:? When did I write this :confused:? Oh, you mean there are TWO of us out there :scared:

Yeah I was the teacher :thumbup: and you've described me perfectly, so what of it :lol:

I am a supply junky too (and books, curric, manips, lab gear etc). The staff at the teacher store know me so well they put new products aside for me when they get a new shipment in. And not only did I play school but I actively taught my brother from the time he was around 2, especially when he was home sick from school and therefore a captive audience lol I read to him for hours, made worksheets, and taught him what I knew (I am 6 years older than him so this started when I was 8). He has now graduated university and is becoming an investment banker. I figure when he starts really raking in the dough, he owes me big time for making sure he knew his math and reading so well lol

I ALWAYS sneak off to the office and school supply section of Walmart. I ENJOY meandering through Staples at a leisurely pace (and get irritated when a clerk follows me asking if I need help...I'm not shoplifting, I pretty much know everything in the store, and I just want to enjoy myself, okay?). I pick up various supply store catalogs and it's like the Sear's Christmas Catalog was to me as a kid. Sharpies are pretty...just darn expensive. I want all the colours, not just the basic 4. I like the various boards and containers. Ohhh, and they had the cutest pushpins!

Remember when we used to sniff the flavour-scented markers and the entire classroom smelled like rubber cement in elementary? That was the day!

Oh, yes - me too! There we are, the whole family out for 'grocery' shopping, and we walk through the door, and Mum disappears - now, you'd think they'd know by now, but after a half-hour search, they find me in the stationery isle, trying to convince myself we really 'do' need more erasers, pencils, markers - whatever!

And then, there's pens ...... beautiful pens.......

This is too funny! My dd knows to brew a fresh pot of coffee when the Levenger catalog arrives. I usually cant afford anything, but I sure do love perusing all the new and lovely products. Mmm....

And I too remember the scented markers..ahhh...

Pencils and Sharpies and pens, oh my! :auto:

I am a junkie and I know it! I've got it so bad that when we recently moved overseas half my bags were packed with books and school supplies, including a decent stock of blank index cards and Sharpie markers. These are just items that a girl can't live without! Back to school time is the most wonderful time of the year because of all the school supplies that they have out, it's great! I get all giddy every year around that time. I will miss that part of being in the US :(!