Menu

Having a Brainstorm: RE: Multiple boys/children in a room.

My 5 boys share 2 rooms. Right now in one room we've got a toddler bed (ds5)and a set of twin bunkbeds (ds8 & ds6). In the other room is a full size bed (ds9) and the crib (ds3).

We're getting to a point where we're going to need another bed soon. I had thought we'd get another set of bunkbeds and a single, and move the existing set of bunkbeds in the room with the full bed (the room is slightly smaller). We'd remove the crib, toddler bed, and full size bed.

But my older boys are all wanting their own space. They stockpile stuff on their beds. I think about them being teenagers and trying to keep their stuff on their little twin beds, and it seems as they grow they wouldn't be comfortable in bunk beds. They already complain about the bunk beds wiggling when the other moves, and it's only going to get worse.

I just measured, and I could fit 3 singles in one room and two singles in the other room. I would get them each a bookcase headboard for their stuff.

The only problem with this is that in between the 3 singles there would be only about 13"-15" of space. The only things in their room are books and they each have a bin of their special toys/belongings, but all of the toys and most of the play occurs in the playroom. They like to sit on their beds to be alone, to read, to draw, etc.

Is that amount of space in between to little? It doesn't seem to me that it would be any worse than the problems that come with bunkbeds. Whatever we buy will most likely need to last them until they move out.

Input before I pitch this to my dh?

Lofts for the two oldest in each room, with littles tucked under? Make sure they are extra-sturdy. Even if you only did one loft and two twins in the room with 3, it would save a lot of room.

Or...

If you don't want to do bookcase headboards, you can run a high shelf around the top of the room to store things, with some small wall shelving by the side of the beds.

Littles could also use trundles until they are bigger.

My 5 boys share 2 rooms. Right now in one room we've got a toddler bed (ds5)and a set of twin bunkbeds (ds8 & ds6). In the other room is a full size bed (ds9) and the crib (ds3).

We're getting to a point where we're going to need another bed soon. I had thought we'd get another set of bunkbeds and a single, and move the existing set of bunkbeds in the room with the full bed (the room is slightly smaller). We'd remove the crib, toddler bed, and full size bed.

But my older boys are all wanting their own space. They stockpile stuff on their beds. I think about them being teenagers and trying to keep their stuff on their little twin beds, and it seems as they grow they wouldn't be comfortable in bunk beds. They already complain about the bunk beds wiggling when the other moves, and it's only going to get worse.

I just measured, and I could fit 3 singles in one room and two singles in the other room. I would get them each a bookcase headboard for their stuff.

The only problem with this is that in between the 3 singles there would be only about 13"-15" of space. The only things in their room are books and they each have a bin of their special toys/belongings, but all of the toys and most of the play occurs in the playroom. They like to sit on their beds to be alone, to read, to draw, etc.

Is that amount of space in between to little? It doesn't seem to me that it would be any worse than the problems that come with bunkbeds. Whatever we buy will most likely need to last them until they move out.

Input before I pitch this to my dh?

I'd go for more bunks. Unless you plan to buy a bigger house with more rooms, you don't really have another choice. Three singles does not a happy room make, lol. It's going to be too crowded. I'd go with the bunks and consider trying to find a 4-bedroom house if possible if space is that important.

We've got a 5-bedroom house, with 1 girl and 5 boys. Two sets of boys room together, one has his own room, and our dd has her own room. We've rotated over the years so the older boys have all had singles at one time or another.

Ria

Is your basement finished? I have a friend with 8 who moved a gaggle of her girls into the basement when they got older, but they were old enough to not keep each other awake so nevermind.

I have a friend with three boys in a 10x10 bedroom with no closet. Here is post she did with pictures of how she has them in there. She has one loft bed with a desk under it and a twin/full bunk bed, curtains for privacy, shelves and reading lights, and storage lockers.

We've done it a couple of ways. At one time, I actually had 4 boys in one room! We used a loft bed and a set of bunk beds that accomodated a trundle. The trundle could be pulled out easily for sleeping, reading on the bed, etc., but pushed away for Lego/playmobile/marble setups and the like.

Lisa

Thanks, guys. We've decided to go with loft beds (probably these). This will help solve the need for them to each have personal space, and they'll each have a little desk as well. I'll probably sew panels to go on the backs (they'll have to come out from the wall lengthwise) for privacy. I'm not concerned about them having room to spread out and play with toys up there (really, the bedrooms are used mostly for sleeping and quiet time), and I think these will be a great solution.

Thanks for helping me think this through!

JudoMom, do you mind if I ask the price of the loftbeds you're considering? I'm looking at a loft bed for my ds12 as well. He has his own room but it's really small and he simply cannot part with any of his accumulated treasures. I truly believe it's part of his asperger's nature so I don't force the issue. Instead, I end up organizing his room at least twice a year but we've finally reached the end of the line.

Here is the loft bed I've fallen in love with, but the price is really too high for us to seriously consider. It would cost just over $400 and we don't have that right now. :(

Is your basement finished? I have a friend with 8 who moved a gaggle of her girls into the basement when they got older, but they were old enough to not keep each other awake so nevermind.

:lol:, Karen. Our basement is finished, but it's divided into a smaller playroom, hall, and an L shaped room that is our school/guest room. Neither of these rooms would hold the beds any better than their bedrooms.

Thanks for the link! I love the shower curtain idea. I'm starting to feel creative :D!

Edited by JudoMom

My DD had this brand of loft, we were happy with it. Know that the chair will be completely useless for a kid - the height is wrong and it could bring my back to its knees in a minute of sitting in it! LOL!!

But it moves well and was pretty darn sturdy. I'd buy it again.

My DD had this brand of loft, we were happy with it. Know that the chair will be completely useless for a kid - the height is wrong and it could bring my back to its knees in a minute of sitting in it! LOL!!

But it moves well and was pretty darn sturdy. I'd buy it again.

Thanks, Tracy! I'm glad to hear your review. I'm always nervous when buying furniture.

FWIW...we turned out existing bunk beds into loft beds and let me tell you...these things are STURDY! It was a cost issue for us and I think we made both beds for under $100. They don't look too great, but they serve the purpose. If you want to see them you can check them out here.

I think you having the loft beds is a good decision for your boys. :001_smile:

Guest ttgivencej

Hello Brittney,

In reviewing your pictures of the loft bed you made, the 4x4's you used appear to have a green tint, which may mean that they are pressure treated lumber. Whenever I see green tint wood used indoors I notify the person to double check the type of wood used. You should verify that they are not pressure treated wood, pressure treated wood is for outdoor use only. The following link http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html talks about the potential hazard of using it indoors.

JV