Menu

What's compulsory attendance age in your state?

Right now it's 6 by Sept 1 here, but I just learned that as of next summer, they're changing it to 5 as of Sept 1. I mean, we're planning to homeschool anyway, so it doesn't matter for us, but it still makes me kinda cranky. I know there's a lot of families, who have children with summer birthdays, who prefer to wait until they turn 6 to send them to kindergarten. And if I did have a child with say, an August birthday, I would be very cranky that my choice of when to send them was being taken away.

In Virginia the latest a child can attend school is the September following the child's 6th birthday; to attend as a five year old the child must be five before Sept 30 of the current school year.

My DD has an October birthday. Theoretically we could keep her home until September 2010 because that is the September following her 6th birthday. LOL (She missed the K cutoff for this year by 18 days.)

PA: 8 years old but, I believe in Philadelphia it is 6. I know something was changed there. Maybe someone else will know this.

You're right. But the homeschoolers there can send in a letter stating their intent to homeschool at 6, then just continue to follow the regular law, i.e. not reporting till the child is 8.

Right now it's 6 by Sept 1 here, but I just learned that as of next summer, they're changing it to 5 as of Sept 1. I mean, we're planning to homeschool anyway, so it doesn't matter for us, but it still makes me kinda cranky. I know there's a lot of families, who have children with summer birthdays, who prefer to wait until they turn 6 to send them to kindergarten. And if I did have a child with say, an August birthday, I would be very cranky that my choice of when to send them was being taken away.

My province is 7-16.

ETA: That is, you must enrol in the fall semester in the calendar year you turn 7.