Menu

Question for horse-lovers, moms of horse lovers?

My dd has been taking riding lessons for about a year now. The first six months were pretty useless - the teacher was very nice, but she was a single mom and if something came up with her kids we just missed lessons. It took us almost 4 months to use the 6 lessons I paid for. Since the middle of March dd has been with another instructor and he is wonderful. This is just what he does because he loves it. He's associated with a local cowboy church and there are a lot of fun things for the kids. Last Friday they had a show and dd got to 'show' her horse. They do halter work, learn the parts of the horse, she did lead-line and walk and whoa. Next time she'll be in more classes. It was wonderful. Of course, it's very informal, but she really went beyond her comfort zone and was completely in heaven.

Today at her lesson he stopped me and told me she's got a natural skill and with the right horse she could compete at very high levels. No, he's not trying to sell me a horse. He doesn't want her to have her own horse til she's a much stronger rider and my parents have already talked about buying a horse at a later date. He was just being very complimentary of her and her abilities - which of course is gratifying for any mom.

So, here's my question - what should she be doing to improve more? She would ride every day if I could afford it. His lessons are very inexpensive, but still - more than I pay for any other activity that we do. How often should she be riding to really be improving? Right now it's once a week and her lessons are typically an hour to hour and a half. Should I just sit back and let it ride (pun intended)? I started dancing when I was her age and it was my world for the next 9 years. I begged to go to classes more than twice a week and by the time I was 10 I was dancing 5 days a week. Dancing is different than riding though, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I'd appreciate it!

I just asked the same question about our girls a couple of weeks ago. They *love* riding, and horses, and I wondered if they should be riding more often. Right now, they ride once per week in "Pony School" group lessons. I asked if they could do more, and the teacher said that private lessons are really the way to improve; group lessons for beginners are hard (this is their 2nd year riding). They said they're still young to make a big commitment to horses and that it's good to be trying lots of things, which is what they're doing.

Emma dances 3x per week at age 9. Abbie does gymnastics 1x per week for a 2 hour class at age 8. I guess it depends on how much you can spend on the lessons, really.

I have a horse lover kid.:001_smile: We started out once a week and now try for twice. She has her own horse and the limit is my time to drive her there otherwise she would be at the stables everyday.

Before we bought the horse she was involved with gymnastics. The strength, flexibility and balance have helped her a lot! Even if you don't do gymnastics lots of toning and core strength will help with the riding.

We also belong to 4H, our county participates in the Hippology program. You do not have to own a horse. The Hippology classes cover horse ownership, feeding, confirmation and general knowledge. Our county usually runs a few workshop series with local vets coming to talk to the kids.

Good luck, I hope she has a great time.

I so agree with Remudamom.

My dd is almost 13. She has been riding for about 18 months now. I can tell you that she really has begun to take off in her riding since we started to lease her horse about 6 weeks ago. This is expensive. We only half lease, and I know we can only afford it through show season. We will see what happens next year. When a person leases a horse they are responsible for the farrier expenses, too.

There are a lot of expenses in getting ready to show~the clothes, the tack, etc. We have been fortunate to get the hunt jacket, field boots, breeches, and shirt used. We were able to buy a used saddle. I bought her a new show helmet for a couple of reasons: current safety standards being the biggest reason. She needed boot pulls and boot socks. Those were inexpensive items.

There is also the cost for the coggins test and rabies. We pay to have the horse trailered to each event. Plus there are the entry fees for each class. Fortunately for us, we are in only the 4-H shows ,and they are not expensive to enter.

My daughter is also old enough to be able to work at the barn. Homeschooling does allow the flexibility in our schedule for her to work and ride about 3 days a week in addition to her lesson day. The pay for the work is not much, but she does use what she earns to buy some of her equipment. You do have to be a certain age to work. My dd had to be 12.

I would encourage your daughter to join a 4-H horse club. There are many clinics that they offer that will allow your daughter to learn more about horse care and showing horses.

She really is young yet. The nice thing about equestrian is that there is no top age limit to competing as there are in some other disciplines.

Jennie

Edited by mamaof2andtwins

I say this at least once a week to the parents at the barn where my daughter rides....if a child is only riding once a week it is going to take much, much longer for them to get anywhere. Especially with riding a horse because they can't practice at home (unless they have a horse) so they actually have to remember what they were taught the week before and contrary to what alot of people think, there are a TON of things a rider has to remember and work on. It is so hard for these kids that don't have horses, to advance. Maybe your daughter can work off another lesson or a hack by doing chores at her barn. That's how my daughter started out. She cleans stalls and feeds once a week and because our barn owner can now trust her and depend on her (my daughter is 14) she can ride his horses whenever she wants. She also has a horse of her own. I can tell you that when her trainer told me that she has natural talent, I was thrilled (I rode when I was younger and to have a child who loves horses as much as I still do just makes me happy!). I love, love, love watching my daughter ride the horses that she rides. I love watching her go over 4 foot jumps even though my stomach is in my throat Just remember that horses are big and unpredictable and I truly do believe that equestrian sports are just as much an extreme sport as motocross...even more so if you ask me, because we all know that a motorcycle doesn't have a mind of it's own but a 16.1 hand 1100 lb. horse sure does! When someone says to me that my daughter's riding is just a "hobby" I want to scream at them..."let me see YOU do it"!!! Anyway, try to nuture your daughter's love of riding any way you can, in the end you will be so glad you did. It teaches them SO much more than just how to ride a horse.

Another thing that I would suggest for people just starting out in equestrian sports is to NOT buy a used helmet. You just don't know if that helmet was ever involved in a fall. Also, helmets should be replaced after a fall or two. Just an FYI that might not have been thought about!

Thanks for all of your input. I think the hardest thing with this is there's not enough time or money to let all of the kids do something they are passionate about at the levels they want to do it.

I'll talk with her instructor next week and see what he recommends. Like one of you said, it's not like it will be too late if we wait 6 months to get more intense in this. Then dh will be home and he can make the decisions! :tongue_smilie:

Well, I have a couple of thoughts. One is that there are so many different areas in which to participate in horses and all those disciplines have different costs and time requirements. If cost is a factor at all, I would advise you to research the different ways in which your child could participate in the horse world and find out which fits your family the best.

Many kids in our 4-H horse club, (of which I am the leader) have their own horse, ride in our 2 shows each year and trail ride and thats it. They participate in our club activities which include practices for the shows and sometimes ground or riding clinics that are free to them. We do a camping trip each year paid for by the club where they bring their horses for the weekend and there is also a riding camp where you bring your own horse and get several lessons each day in a particular discipline. Our county extension pays for half the camp so 4 days is only about $100.

Anyway, my point is that many of my clubbers spend very little money on their horse hobby over and above horse keeping expenses and are very happy with that. They do not take lessons or have to pay for the expenses involved in showing on a competitive curcuit. Our shows are VERY low key and only 2X year. Right now, you can easily buy a horse that would suit this bill for less then $2000 and often even less then that. I just sold a fantastic 4-H horse to a 14 year old girl for a goat! Yup, her dad traded me a nice 100% Boer buck for a lovely AQHA mare. :D

Showing is fun and worth while. But it is not neccessary for a horse crazy girl to be happy. There are also trail riding clubs, competitive trail rides, English disciplines, western, speed events, ranch competitions, reining and even shooting on horseback events! The choices are endless. Be sure you KNOW what your child really wants to do AND what fits into your time and budget constraints.

ps. I am not discouraging lessons! Continuous lessons for everyone would be an ideal world. But after a certain point, if you do not need to train for a certain show discipline - it is okay to stop ( especially if money is a factor) as long as you keep learning through some outlet. 4-H can supply that very cheaply.

High level competitions are very expensive. I'd just do what you're doing and see what develops. Owning and showing is a lifestyle, not a hobby, and more often than not the whole family at the very least needs to support the lifestyle.

Agreeing with Remudamom. Both my step-sister and I rode competitively as kiddos. It's expensive and time consuming. And, honestly, it takes an awful lot of seat time to become a really accomplished horse person. I'd just take it as it comes and enjoy it for what it is. If you can afford it easily, add another lesson per week but don't stress about it.

Well, I have a couple of thoughts. One is that there are so many different areas in which to participate in horses and all those disciplines have different costs and time requirements. If cost is a factor at all, I would advise you to research the different ways in which your child could participate in the horse world and find out which fits your family the best.

Many kids in our 4-H horse club, (of which I am the leader) have their own horse, ride in our 2 shows each year and trail ride and thats it. They participate in our club activities which include practices for the shows and sometimes ground or riding clinics that are free to them. We do a camping trip each year paid for by the club where they bring their horses for the weekend and there is also a riding camp where you bring your own horse and get several lessons each day in a particular discipline. Our county extension pays for half the camp so 4 days is only about $100.

Anyway, my point is that many of my clubbers spend very little money on their horse hobby over and above horse keeping expenses and are very happy with that. They do not take lessons or have to pay for the expenses involved in showing on a competitive curcuit. Our shows are VERY low key and only 2X year. Right now, you can easily buy a horse that would suit this bill for less then $2000 and often even less then that. I just sold a fantastic 4-H horse to a 14 year old girl for a goat! Yup, her dad traded me a nice 100% Boer buck for a lovely AQHA mare. :D

Showing is fun and worth while. But it is not neccessary for a horse crazy girl to be happy. There are also trail riding clubs, competitive trail rides, English disciplines, western, speed events, ranch competitions, reining and even shooting on horseback events! The choices are endless. Be sure you KNOW what your child really wants to do AND what fits into your time and budget constraints.

ps. I am not discouraging lessons! Continuous lessons for everyone would be an ideal world. But after a certain point, if you do not need to train for a certain show discipline - it is okay to stop ( especially if money is a factor) as long as you keep learning through some outlet. 4-H can supply that very cheaply.

Your 4Hhorse club would be so ideal for my dd9 and our horse....wish we lived closer to you! I gotta find something like that near me in MD/DE area.

Joanna,

Have you call your local cooperative extension office? They can put you in touch with the 4-H horse clubs in your area.

I can tell you that my dd has done horse bowl at both the local and regional level. She was a novice this year and not eligible for state. She has also done Hippology. I would have liked to have her do horse communications, but the girls in her group generally do not do it. she could do it independent of them, but I didn't know enough about it in time.

My dd has been to a couple of clinics so far. One was standardbred days in the fall. There were two clinics: a training clinic and a driving clinic as well as a trip to the raceway to see the standardbreds race. The last clinic she went to was to help the girls get ready for show season. They talked all about clothes and hair etc. This was specific for the rider. There is also a mandatory clinic that she must attend that talks about the rules and such for horse shows. Her instructor is giving a clinic on how to prepare your horse for show.

Our 4-H horse clubs host about 6-8 shows a season with all the groups in our county. The fee for entry is minimal ($2-3 maybe $4 per class). The trailering fee for our horse is about $40 to $60 depending on where the show is.

My dd still takes weekly lessons. She does this to improve her skill. Then the other 3 days per week she practices what she learned in the lesson. Her instructor said this has made a huge difference.

I never had a thought that we would go this far with her horse riding, but she is already talking about going into equine studies with a management degree. So, we will see.

Jennie

I showed competitively and had my own hunter/jumpers from middle school through college. It is expensive, and like Remudamom said, a lifestyle. I rode every day rain, shine, or freezing wind (we did not have an indoor ring) and traveled most weekends to shows all over the Northeast. It did not make me closer with my family. I bonded with people at the barn because I was always there. My parents only came to my shows occassionally. If you really want your dd to go on competitively then she should ride more and there are ways to do it cheaply. She can clean stalls in exchange for riding time. I was a mother's helper for my trainer and got to ride 6 or 7 horses a day, clean stalls, feed, take care of her two kids, etc. I think I learned the most those summers because I would be put on the craziest, greenest horses there. She could groom for others for shows and get paid and learn the horse show "ropes". She could braid for good money too. But know there is a trade-off. She will not be around for many family things. It is hard to "dabble" in horses. I know, I'm trying to that with my dd10 right now. Weekly lessons, that is all for now.

Soph I totally agree with everything you are saying about earning money for braiding or even helping out at shows but that's more prevalent in the hunter/jumper world right? Do western riders braid their horses, I didn't think they did. I am all for the kids earning their riding time because it teaches them that there is so much more to riding a horse than just putting its saddle on and riding. I think each child should be taught from basic horsemanship on up. The riding part is just the icing on the cake. Proper horse care needs to be taught way more than it is these days. Half the kids at the show barn where my daughter rides don't even know the basics about horse care and that's really sad. I'm so sorry, Soph, that your parents weren't there at your shows. It breaks my heart when I see kids from our barn at shows and their parents aren't there to cheer them on or when their parents come all dressed up like they're going out on the town, just to watch their children showing and then leave as soon as the kid is done. It totally shows in the kids attitudes who have parents who don't care. I just feel so badly for them.

Coming at this from a different angle, some fun things your dd could do at home when she is not riding include working to increase her upper body and arm strenth--lifting light weights and general strengthening exercises. And also working on things to enhance her balance. She might want to try one of those big balls you can sit on to use during school, watching tv, etc.

Those are skills that will help her regardless of the style of riding she selects. All riders need excellent balance and good u/b strength.

Soph I totally agree with everything you are saying about earning money for braiding or even helping out at shows but that's more prevalent in the hunter/jumper world right? Do western riders braid their horses, I didn't think they did. I am all for the kids earning their riding time because it teaches them that there is so much more to riding a horse than just putting its saddle on and riding. I think each child should be taught from basic horsemanship on up. The riding part is just the icing on the cake. Proper horse care needs to be taught way more than it is these days. Half the kids at the show barn where my daughter rides don't even know the basics about horse care and that's really sad. I'm so sorry, Soph, that your parents weren't there at your shows. It breaks my heart when I see kids from our barn at shows and their parents aren't there to cheer them on or when their parents come all dressed up like they're going out on the town, just to watch their children showing and then leave as soon as the kid is done. It totally shows in the kids attitudes who have parents who don't care. I just feel so badly for them.

Thanks, Journey. Fortunately I am not permanently affected by it. LOL.

I am thankful my parents gave me the opportunity to have horses and all that, what a gift really, but my point was to share the way it can cause family disintegration if it is not a lifestyle as Remudamom pointed out for the whole family. My ideal today would be to have our own horses on our place and not show on Sundays. But how many horses can you fit on the head of a pin (our backyard)?:lol:

My girls are totally horse crazy as well but don't have the skills/ability to ride high level shows.

They were SO happy last night at lessons to be able to JUMP for the first time ever. This was huge as both of my girls have special needs and they were riding the instructor's new horse that her own kids had never jumped with--didn't even know she jumped until my 12dd tried trotting her over a lot and she jumped it and they went from there.

Anyway, the 4H direction would be very good. Your dd is younger so working off her lessons/extra riding time is not really an option now but at 12 or 13 she might be able to pay for 1 lesson and then work off more through the week.

Also, at her age, waiting a few years to become more heavily involved in showing likely won't hurt her. Many schools have equestrian teams and they may or may not allow homeschoolers but it is worth a check---most start in 6th or 7th grade or even highschool.

Be sure to check out the used stuff at tack sales. One mom said that she found a child just 1-2 years older than her own and each year would buy that child's outgrown clothes, boots, etc. I would not though go with used helmets as safety is key.

Could relatives or even you give her riding lessons for birthday and Christmas gifts? My girls get almost all horse stuff as gifts. It is what they want and need.

This last weekend I went to Equine Affaire which is a HUGE horse expo for 4 days. I spent time with a lady that was a US Grand Prix dressage rider (not sure if I have the terminology correct), one that showed high level western shows, etc. and then there was my friend and I that like to trail ride---just walk and talk and enjoy the scenery. Riding can be done at all levels and still be fun.

I checked on weight training for children and found this by Dr. Stephen Ball:

"Although there is no minimum age required to begin a strength training program, it is important that children have the emotional maturity to follow directions and appreciate the benefits and risks associated with exercise before they are ready to begin. The first few training sessions should focus on technique, safety issues, and correct lifting form without inducing undue fatigue. Close supervision cannot be stressed enough."

I think he is referring to a much more extensive program than I was thinking of. I was suggesting maybe lifting up to a 1lb. weight, can of peaches, etc. Not anything all that heavy and with the intention of building strength, not focusing on building muscle mass.

I checked on weight training for children and found this by Dr. Stephen Ball:

"Although there is no minimum age required to begin a strength training program, it is important that children have the emotional maturity to follow directions and appreciate the benefits and risks associated with exercise before they are ready to begin. The first few training sessions should focus on technique, safety issues, and correct lifting form without inducing undue fatigue. Close supervision cannot be stressed enough."

I think he is referring to a much more extensive program than I was thinking of. I was suggesting maybe lifting up to a 1lb. weight, can of peaches, etc. Not anything all that heavy and with the intention of building strength, not focusing on building muscle mass.

Thanks for this idea. This is my dd that is hard to motivate if it's not directly related to something she want/wants to do. Exercise has been a sticking point with her, but if I can make it part of her riding, she'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

I'm having a hard time getting info about our local 4-H. Do you have to stay in your county? Some of the surrounding counties seem to have really great programs. I can't get much info on ours though.

Thanks for this idea. This is my dd that is hard to motivate if it's not directly related to something she want/wants to do. Exercise has been a sticking point with her, but if I can make it part of her riding, she'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

I'm having a hard time getting info about our local 4-H. Do you have to stay in your county? Some of the surrounding counties seem to have really great programs. I can't get much info on ours though.

Call your local cooperative extension office. If you can't find them, let us know, and we can search around for you.

4-H can be done independent of a group.

Jennie