Menu

We had a snake in our house yesterday!

I'd taken my DH to the bus stop and then stopped to get some groceries. The kids were getting breakfast ready. My oldest dd walked into the laundry room and there it was! They called me and I freaked and called animal control. Turns out it was only 4 inches long! :glare: From the way they were screaming, you'd think it was 10 feet long. Anyway, DH called our oldest ds and he was able to dispose of it. I let animal control know and life was good again. :D

I'd taken my DH to the bus stop and then stopped to get some groceries. The kids were getting breakfast ready. My oldest dd walked into the laundry room and there it was! They called me and I freaked and called animal control. Turns out it was only 4 inches long! :glare: From the way they were screaming, you'd think it was 10 feet long. Anyway, DH called our oldest ds and he was able to dispose of it. I let animal control know and life was good again. :D

They must like laundry rooms! That's where we found ours many, many years ago! I threw the laundry into the air, shuffled the kids outside and ran to the neighbors house to wake up her teenage boys at 6:30am to come 'catch' the snake. :D It wasn't a tiny one either, a good 2-3 foot long.

Our roofers also found one in our attic a year after that. The roofer nearly fell off the roof. YIKES!

Did you turn it into the science project/subject for the day?

They must like laundry rooms! That's where we found ours many, many years ago! I threw the laundry into the air, shuffled the kids outside and ran to the neighbors house to wake up her teenage boys at 6:30am to come 'catch' the snake. :D It wasn't a tiny one either, a good 2-3 foot long.

Our roofers also found one in our attic a year after that. The roofer nearly fell off the roof. YIKES!

Did you turn it into the science project/subject for the day?

Well, my ds chopped it's head off. What subject would that fall under? And I'm sure my girls jumped on the chairs pretty dang quick. P.E.? :D

LOL Funny, I'm the snake wrangler around here. In rural Arkansas, snakes are a part of life. If one is found too close to home or barn animals, DH calls me to take care of it - I chop off thier heads with a garden hoe. DH runs screaming home! :lol: I've killed several black rat snakes by my duck pens that were 5 feet long and a few copper heads on the trail to our swimming hole down by the river. The cotton mouths we shoot from a distance!

When we lived in North Florida, my dh and I went outside the sliding glass door from our basement. We left the door open. There was a stream right beside our house. When we went back in, there were three copperheads in our basement.

I have never screamed so hard or so long in my life. My dh killed them and then told me I said words he didn't know I knew. :001_smile:

It still gives me shivers and goosebumps over my whole body just to think about it.

In regards to my being mean mentioning there could be more....

I'm just saying......LOL.

I'm one of those who can handle stuff when I know about it. It's the unknown (are there more and if so where are they and when/where might they show up?) that gets me. If you prefer to be in denial, I can respect that. :D

By the way, your shop looks really nice. I'd be outside enjoying that gorgeous blue sky, too!

Have a great day.

Snakes don't get into houses..... Snakes don't get into houses..... Snakes don't get into houses..... Snakes don't get into houses.......I didn't read that... I didn't read that....

I wouldn't go outside for days when dh found a black snake's skin in our flower bed. After an entire week in the house, my neighbors jumped the fence and came to the family room window to talk me out.

I told them I was moving. They asked, "Where exactly in VA are you going to move and not have snakes?" "Back Hampton Roads to my mother," I said. They laughed very hard at that.

As for my mother, she's TERRIFIED of snakes. I didn't tell her about it because I knew if I did, she would never visit again!

You know what's funny? She called me at the end of that week and told me her neighbor saw a cottonmouth on her(Mom's) porch. After, that, I went on and told her about the black snake.

I was looking for the cover to my vacuum cleaner when my 4 year old spits out, "Maybe it's still in the closet from when Daddy used it to get the snake out." With shock I looked at the oldest DD (17) who had a look of horror on her face. I gave her that "Fess up" look and she said, "Daddy told us not to tell you." Now keep in mind that "Daddy" and I have been married 21 years and we do NOT keep secrets from each other. Turned out that the kids had had the front door open on a particularly warm day and Dh and the kids came home one evening last week when I was gone. Dh saw the snake in the living room and it went in the coat closet. We have a 300+k house, live in a nice neighborhood, and I had a two foot long snake in my house (non-poisonous.) When Dh came home I told him that I knew about the snake. He said, "I just didn't want to upset you." In this case, he was right that a secret would have been ok! Needless to say, we will be getting a nice new glass patio door for the front that has one of those nice screens you can pull down for when the kids want fresh air!

Snakes, I am fine with. I like holding snakes. (Well, not poisonous ones, of course.) It is spiders and other things with too many legs that make me run away. :tongue_smilie:

Where I grew up, we had garter snakes living under the house, and sometimes they would sun themselves on our back sidewalk. So of course, a couple times they got in the back door. If my mom found it, she would just get a rake and gently pick it up and put it back outside. But once, I was kinda traumatized by my dad taking a brick to a snake that had got in the house. I was upset, I would have come and picked it up and taken it back outside.

Once in high school, our biology class was taking a field trip (to an actual field...long grass prairie setting), and our teacher found 4-5 foot long bull snake, and no one would hold it for the picture but me. I tried to get it to wrap around my arm a bit for the picture, but it didn't like that and hissed a little. Oh well.

Well, my ds chopped it's head off. What subject would that fall under? And I'm sure my girls jumped on the chairs pretty dang quick. P.E.? :D

Biology, of course. :D

My dh killed a snake the other day, fortunately he wasn't in the house. They were moving a trash pile in the yard and he would not leave them alone. I was kind of bummed they didn't keep it so we could study it.

Snakes are really very helpful to keeping the rodent population down. We have snakes, geckos, cockroaches, ants, you name it, living in our palapa. It is just a fact of life living here. We watched a snake wind its way up a post and into the roof (palm leaves) of the kitchen the other day. I dont like snakes but I also don't kill them unless they are poisonous and threatening. We also have coral and 4-nose poisonous snakes. If they come into the palapa (so far they haven't, but the 4-nose is agressive) they will be dispached with a machete.