Menu

We need help with our new kitten name??? & a flea ??(Soph?)

Ok, after thinking she was a he and naming him/her Frodo, (we've only had her just over 24 hours, so the name change is going to happen.) Also, if you read my Soph the Vet post, you'll know I took her to the vet, we got her about 4:30 Mon night. Tuesday vet 10a.m. then last night, I thought, I better check her for fleas, well I found one, so gave her a bath and actually killed two total, didn't see anymore, but she might get another bath JIK, also, I vacuumed well, but 1. do you think I'm ok (meaning our house) I plan to just vacuum a few days in a row. Also, she's so tiny, the people told us she was 7 weeks, but really the vet couldn't believe how small she was, so when can I treat her for fleas?

Thanks everyone.

Oh names that have kind of been considered but shot down- Padme', Arwin, Claire, Bell, Ella, Gwen....

Frodo001.jpg

Oh my! She looks about the same age as our kitten (well, used to be...lol) when we got her from the Humane Society. They told us our kitten was 8 weeks old...the vet said more like barely 5. I can't help with the flea issue, I just thought she was adorable. I let my girls name our cat and now when I call the vet, I make appointments for Cutie Pie. <sigh> I feel so silly saying it. Guess I've lost my girlishness.;)

Because of how young she is, you should ask the vet when you can treat her for fleas.

The best thing I've found for fleas is Frontline Plus. I get mine from 1800petmeds.com. It's very expensive, but extremely effective. Kills, fleas, ticks, larva, eggs, etc.

Given how tiny she is, you would probably only apply a half dose to her, but again, please ask the vet.

our calico is named Angel. Our other 2 girl cats are Sagwa and Hannah.

We used to have another calico named Patches

By the way, one of our boy cats is named Ginger (we get major confusion from people on this). Dd named him after the BOY dog in Ginger Pye.

We also have a Indiana Jones, a Blackie (dd insisted on this name for this cat when dd was only 3 years old, I wanted to name him Shadow or Midnight). and we also have a Quiksilver. We used to have a Rocky Balboa

our calico named Patches had various nicknames such as Patchy, Patchwork and Cupcake ! Our current calico, Angel , we often call her Angel Cake.

Callie? She is a calico, after all. I'm not the best person to ask, either. My cats all have odd names - Tempest, Pepe le Pew, Kuro (means 'black' in Japanese), and Dorian Gray. What about Tink, short for Tinkerbell?

I like Tinkerbell. She looks like a Tinkerbell to me. She's a cute kitten.:)

Well, I dont think you will like our naming trend LOL. I let my then-3-year-old daughter name our cats. So now we have an Armadillo, and a Mac-N-Cheese. :lol: You probably dont want any help from us LOL!

Hey my cat is named CHeese Whiz but we call her cheezie, she came with that name from the spca.

OP I know nothing about fleas, just have to say that is the cutest little kitten, but wow so tiny!

I think you should keep bathing her & combing her out with a flea comb.

Check out this article

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitten_fleas.htm

Do stay on top of it because a severe flea infestation can kill a kitten.

I believe you can start using the topicals after 6-7 weeks but I'd check with the vet. If the vet feels she's not that age yet, then wait.

Also, make sure you select the meds carefully - many of the otc flea stuff sold in pet shops is ok for dogs but toxic to cats. Best to buy from the vet the first few times (& then you can buy from a reputable online pet pharmacy if you want to save some $).

Another option is something like capstar & program (these are oral anti flea meds rather than topical).

BTW, frequent (daily) vacuuming will also help with any infestation. Vacuuming really is effective against fleas - that's one of the reasons why 'vacuuming is my hobby' is one of my sig lines! I like to use as little of the insecticides as possible. I knock down any infestations as early as I can, keep the animals healthy, and vacuum lots! With this method, I find I don't need to use the chemicals all the time.....

is she going to be an inside cat? the reason I am asking is that when my 7 cats were inside/outside cats we had a horrible flea problem unless I gave each of them monthy flea treatments. For the last 5 years or so, they have all been 100% inside cats, NO flea treatments whatsoever and NO fleas anyway in my house. When we brought our new kittens into our home, the vet gave them one dose of flea meds each, just in case they had fleas from the rescue association that we got them from. No fleas at all in our house.

Thanks everyone. We named her Cali early this morning. (finally after dh not really saying what he liked!) Anyway, I had given her the bath, have been checking her all of the time, haven't seen anymore, but will continue to check her (she's pretty tiny, so not much area to cover) She is going to be strickly indoors, however, we live in a wooded area, so even though she's only going to be indoors, I would still not be surprised if fleas jumped in through the screens (we like to keep things open in the summer if we can. I have been vaccuming everyday and removed the bag & took it outside. I have a powerful vacuum, so that's good. I'll keep an eye on things and I just plan to vacuum daily for the next few weeks or so. This is not our first cat, our feline (who was 12 got cancer over a year ago and we had to put him down)