Menu

MOH, HOD or Biblioplan?

mama25angels

Which would you choose? I'm leaning more toward Biblioplan because I already have it and SOTW with AG, it's an older version though. I've been looking at HOD and it looks so good ( I probably shouldn't look at anymore curriculum especially since the budget probably won't allow for it). This would be for my 8th and 1st grader, my highschoolers are using SOTAW.

HOD hands down! I love HOD. I really, really wanted to do it again this year, especially with the new program coming this summer. But we are starting TOG and there is no way I can do both.

I've slowly, and reluctantly gotten rid of most of my HOD things. I still have the lower two guides and am trying to convince myself it would be crazy to do LHTH with my 3.9dd and LHFHG with my 6ds, while I do TOG with the older three. I'm convinced it's crazy, but I can't bear to part with them. Dh wants me to stock up on the TOG lower grammar books for the littles and do only one program, so everyone can study the same thing.

If we ever do anything other than TOG, I'm back to HOD.

Blessings,

Melinda

Well I will be the odd duck. :D I would probably buy the new Biblioplan and do both SOTW and MOH.

Heather

I tried Biblioplan awhile back. I really liked it but I just couldn't get it going like it should have been. I ended up dropping it. I now realize that I was trying to do too much. Using both MOH and SOTW was just too much for us. I really didn't like the writing style of MOH either. I wish I had just picked one (for us, that should have been SOTW) from the beginning and not tried to do both spines. We were reading the Bible stories with it also. So, that was even more redundant with also using MOH.

I really like Bibliplan. I think it's a great choice, but I wish I had had the guts to pick one spine and not try to do so much.

Anyways, I'm now a HOD convert :001_smile:.

I've purchased everything we will need for next year including Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and my orders totaled around $300.00. Well, that was everything except English (which I already have) and Math.

I tried Biblioplan awhile back. I really liked it but I just couldn't get it going like it should have been. I ended up dropping it. I now realize that I was trying to do too much. Using both MOH and SOTW was just too much for us. I really didn't like the writing style of MOH either. I wish I had just picked one (for us, that should have been SOTW) from the beginning and not tried to do both spines. We were reading the Bible stories with it also. So, that was even more redundant with also using MOH.

I really like Bibliplan. I think it's a great choice, but I wish I had had the guts to pick one spine and not try to do so much.

Anyways, I'm now a HOD convert :001_smile:.

I've purchased everything we will need for next year including Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and my orders totaled around $300.00. Well, that was everything except English (which I already have) and Math.

Everyone is so different. :lol: I am laughing because what I plan to do for ancients would probably make your head spin: Tapestry of Grace with MOH and Guerber as spines and probably one of the Encyclopedias for a visual reference. Oh and I already own SOTW on CD so we will listen to that too! :D

BUT I don't finish a year plan in one year. We take as long as necessary to thoroughly cover the material without bogging us down. Which explains why we are in year 5 of our current history cycle with another year yet to go! :smilielol5:

Heather

I know nothing about Heart of Dakota. I'm in the Biblioplan camp. And at the moment, I'm in the frugally-minded use-what-we-have camp. We will finish our first cycle this time next year, and I'm seriously considering sticking with Biblioplan for the next time through. I like the idea of TOG, but right now I can't get over the added expense. Once I pick something I stick with it--which is probably why I've never even looked at HOD!

HOD - for ease of use and for balance. Everything will get great coverage and skills will be connected with content - and you won't even have to stay up late planning how to do it. I understand being frugal and using what you have - that is definitely important to consider - but if you can afford it (and it IS cheaper than some!) I would do HOD.

Everyone is so different. :lol: I am laughing because what I plan to do for ancients would probably make your head spin: Tapestry of Grace with MOH and Guerber as spines and probably one of the Encyclopedias for a visual reference. Oh and I already own SOTW on CD so we will listen to that too! :D

Heather

:ack2:

I'm kidding, Heather!

You ought to look at Heart of Dakota's new Ancients year. I know you love TOG, but you know... just for more ideas, since you don't have enough going on anyways.

Edited by Donna T.

:ack2:

I'm kidding, Heather!

You ought to look at Heart of Dakota's new Ancients year. I know you love TOG, but you know... just for more ideas, since you don't have enough going on anyways.

Oh I am sure I will make it over there too peek sometime. :D

Heather

I haven't used HOD or MOH, but Biblioplan schedules MOH in some of their guides. Biblioplan is inexpensive and has a doable schedule. Don't get overwhelmed by everything they suggest. Just pick what works for your student and forget the rest. I'm using year 3 with my 6th grader and we don't use Streams of Civilization, the encyclopedia spines, or the readers. We're using SOTW 3, History of US, and A Child's Story of America. We will also add in read-alouds. I'm using BP's "Cool History" and map add-ons which are wonderful. My ds will also do the writing prompts and perhaps some timelining. This is PLENTY for us. BP is easy to tweak, which I love. We're not into hands-on history so we love this program. That said, one could easily add in some hands-on stuff of their own choosing if they like it. I wish I had used BP from the beginning, but better late than never.

Well, I feel that you get what you pay for, and I really have to say this. If you want visually stimulating, engaging books, and if you want a certain number of books... the program is going to be expensive. Printing is expensive, no matter how much the creator of a program tries to make it affordable. On the other hand, you can decide to go with a program that is not as full (and maybe leaves x or y that is on your wish list out) and is less expensive.