Menu

Woohoo! We need a new fridge - need recommendations.

Our 19 year old fridge is finally giving up the ghost. It's making a weird noise that is constant. After a few minutes on the phone with my dad, we've figured out it's the compressor. Dad says it's not worth the service call on this old fridge!

So, what do you recommend? Where do we get the cheapest prices?

Personally, I prefer to deal with independent appliance stores over the big name stores. I found I can deal on the price a bit with them and with the corporate stores, not so much.

Anyway, we have a bottom freezer model from Amana and like it very much. EX has a similar model and he's had his for 5 years with no problems; I've had mine for a year and it's been great.

If you can get your hands on a Consumer Reports magazine or their annual book, they give more details on the goods and bads, as well as suggest models that are the best value.

Lucky you! I've been hoping my refrigerator would give out, but it's determined to outlive me.

Just wanted to second SolaMichella's suggestion to take a look at Consumer Reports' reviews. You can get a one month subscription to the online Consumer Reports at consumerreports.org.

Happy shopping!

yvonne

We have an Amana with the freezer on the bottom. It's pushing 15 years now, and we've never had any problems. LOVE the freezer on the bottom.

When we were shopping, we knew exactly what we wanted, and we didn't find much difference in price among all the stores we checked out. We bought it from the store that could deliver it the next day (our fridge had died and we couldn't wait three weeks for delivery :glare:).

We have a 7 year old Amana with the freezer on the bottom. Our ice maker isn't the greatest and has needed a service call other than that it is pretty big and we like it over all. One tiny thing that bothers me is the bottom drawer can be awkward or get stuck, if it is full.

Pre-shop on line and find the best price with delivery, disposal etc. Then ask for a sales match where you want to purchase it.

has a price match policy, so if they have a rebate or other special going on, you can get the other store's price plus the rebate. We had them price-match a couple of appliances and then got a 20% rebate on top of it (the 20% rebate was if we bought 3 or more appliances; we were redoing a kitchen and needed one of everything).

I don't like the (lack of) space in our new fridge (Kenmore Elite), but it does keep our food fresher longer. I can get several more days out of milk and fresh strawberries.

Terri

Sometime later this year I plan to buy my dream fridge - the LG with two doors and the freezer on bottom. I don't plan to get the water in the door.

Ria

We have this frig (Kenmore Elite made by LG) but with the ice/water in the door. Mixed emotions on that one - after 17 short months of use, the ice maker has lost its ability to detect when it needs to stop making ice. :-} We need to fix it to keep ice from spilling out onto the floor when we open the door to the icemaker! Yet, I LOVE the ability to get fresh cold water and/or crushed ice from the door without opening up the frig, especially during the hotter months.

As for the frig itself, I LOVE it. LOTS of room and fits the space in our kitchen perfectly. I definitely like having the freezer on the bottom 'cause we go into that less often and I am more easily able to reach the refrigerated items that we access more often.

Love, love, love our bottom freezer model. It has much more usable space than a top freezer or side-by side. It's really convenient because the stuff you use most is at the easiest level to get to. Bottom freezers tend to have very good efficiency ratings, too.

Ria -I saw your fridge! It was on sale as a floor model from $3500 to $1300!! It wouldn't fit in our space, so I had to skip it.

I was planning just to look and come home and do the research. But, Sears was having a HUGE sale on their floor models. So, I made a ton of phone calls from the store to dh who had Consumer Reports on the computer. We ended up with a $1500 Amana 25 cu ft for $724!! Freezer on the bottom with a drawer pull-out. It gets delivered on Thursday. Pray that our current fridge doesn't completely quit!