Menu

Anyone have experience with Mono??

16yodd has it (they did the bloodwork Friday at the dr when we discovered some really weird lumps on the back of her head and neck). She is miserable.

This morning she woke up really puffy around the eyes, sounded like she had cotton in her throat, was horribly uncomfortable, and threw up about 4 times.

If you have had experience with this, what did you do to make yourself/child comfortable? I am just at a loss. Nothing seems to help.

Good grief, yes. My dd16 is finally getting over it. She was diagnosed on Feb. 21st. They thought it was the flu at first, but when she was getting worse, I took her back in and they did the blood test for mono.

Here's what worked best for us:

ibuprofen for the aches, pain and fever

heating pad for the stomach aches

stayed in bed or on the sofa, slept like 20 hrs. a day for the first 2 weeks

kept her supplied with liquids, even woke her up to make her drink 1 to 2 oz. every hour so she wouldn't get dehydrated

made sure to assist her to the bathroom, not letting her move fast because of low blood pressure

I took her back to the doctor twice in the first couple of weeks because she scared me so much. She fainted once due to her low blood pressure. It's only been this week, hmm.. week 6 that she is able to move around without feeling ill, but she's still not back to her normal self.

And most of all I just hovered around her, getting her everything she wanted/needed to make her feel better. It was awful watching her go through that! I'm so glad my dd11 and ds12 didn't get it!

I had mono in college and thought I would have to die to finally feel better. :D

I kept on going through the initial symptoms and as a result got pretty sick before being diagnosed. I slept all the time, had raging secondary infections like strep, turned a lovely shade of yellow when the mono affected my liver, then broke out in a red-spotted rash that only 2% of lucky mono sufferers get. Can you say pretty? lol

I was sick for several weeks, had to quit school. I lost a bunch of weight and strength, it took several months for me to regain stamina.

Push fluids and rest. When she does eat, make sure it counts. Lots of nutrition in small bites.

You are both going to be exhausted by the end of this! I've had it twice. Most doctors will tell you that you can only get it once but the second time I got it I guess was a very rare strain of it. My poor mom ... such patience with me during those difficult weeks. I still marvel at all she did for me when I had it.

Anyway, you've received great advice. One thing I didn't see mentioned was baths. My mom would draw up a really hot bath (the hotter the better for me) and put some lightly scented bubble bath and I would just sit and soak and soak and soak. It helped my throbbing muscles.

Keep her as distracted as you can. Honestly, when I finally found a good series and was able to get totally lost in a book, it was the only time I would feel better because I was somewhat able to forget about the exhaustion and intense pain.

Maybe you could make some runs to the library and Barnes & Noble for books & movies.

Get her a TV tray for her bedroom so that she can stay in bed as much as possible.

And push the Motrin if she can take it. I finally came to realize there is no sense being a martyr. Use the meds that you can use if it will offer any kind of relief.

Hugs to her (and you!).

:grouphug:

Two years ago, February was the month of mono for us. Since I probably had it right before Christmas (was told I had bronchitus but that didn't explain the exhaustion) everyone else had it at this time. One went down right after another and my dh only had it on the weekends.

My oldest was in 1st grade at the time and spent a week on the couch. I was so worried about her and she got close to be dehydrated. My little one was 5 and was sick for about 3 days. My dh a month but only let it get to him on the weekends.

What "cured" it for them was McDonalds. I am not kidding. I was so worried and when my friend brought over McDonalds cheeseburgers and fries, my oldest actually ate and drank for the first time in almost a week. She perked up and started to get better.

Their Dr. said that you need to be careful of the spleen as it enlarges with this and that you easily tire out for a long time after this. Also, no food and drink sharing for 6 months. And it can come back.

Good luck--try McDonalds. It worked for us! :lol:

Yep...I had it for 6 months. I had it, was on the verge of getting over it, and relapsed. I missed all of my college history 101 and 102. I mean, I was there, and I did the work, but I remember very little of the classes.

What I remember is that I was TIRED, like I had never been tired before. I also seemed to catch every 'bug' known to man. I had strep throat several times, tonsillitis several times, ear infections, and Cat Scratch Fever. I laughed out loud at that one, because I thought the doctor was joking. I said to him "isn't that just a song?" I was in his office so many times for the antibiotics that he offered me a job when I was better. :lol:

The advice given above is great...rest, rest, and more rest. If it's true that you can get it only once (relapses not included), then your dd is lucky to have it now, rather than when she's in college and can't drop classes. I was diagnosed just after the w-draw period both times, so had to plow my way through. A sense of humor also helps. I used to joke that I was walking proof that it wasn't the "kissing disease", as I hadn't dated anyone in almost a year when I got it. However, I WAS a bank teller, so I guess I was walking proof of how germy money is! :D

:grouphug: to you both. Hopefully, she'll just have it the one time and be done with it!

I had it as a teenager. I slept for about a week. My grandma made would make me drink something during the day and if I was hungry she would make me some soup. I lost 18 pounds that week. It took me over a month to get back to a normal energy level.

My oldest dd had mono in the second grade. She was miserable and it took her several months to get back to normal. The only thing you can do is rest, rest, rest, and give meds for the discomfort. Don't let your dd try to do too much when she first feels better, as she could relapse.

I have to say that hot baths with Aveeno (she got the rash too) helped too. It was very scary because she had a reaction to the first meds they gave her and it effected her breathing.

Mono is one of those illnesses you just have to get through the best you can and know it doesn't last forever (even though it seems like it does!).

Ugh, mono is the worst! I had it as a teenager and I had so little energy that I had to crawl to the bathroom for two weeks. I had to sleep on the couch because I didn't have the energy to climb the stairs. It took at least 6 months for me to get back to normal. I am so glad it happened after soccer season was over, because I would have had to quit the team. My mom was working 3pm-11pm at the time, so when she left for work my little brother would just be getting home to help take care of me. He cooked me soups and brought me drinks....and then he grew up to be a chef in a fancy restaurant. I tell him that his career path is all due to my bout with mono! :)

After skimming all of the horror stories, I just have to note that while mono can be a long, lingering illness, it isn't always. I had it in college, bad enough to be hospitalized. I was in the hospital 24 hours and sick for a good week, but then I was fine. The worst part was the worst sore throat ever (my throat was so swollen that you could tell even without my opening my mouth). I never did get the utter exhaustion that so many seem to. This all happened over spring break, so I didn't even miss classes.

Hope your daughter's is the "mono light" version that I had.

Terri

One thing the doctor did tell us though is NO motrin. Only tylenol for aches/pains. The motrin is aspirin based and is not good because of the spleen issues.

They didn't test her for strep, but the test for mono was positive. The dr actually said it was only the 2nd time in all the tests she's ever done that one was positive. Apparently they don't see it much.

Anyway, I'm just doing my best to keep her comfy, but this is my total drama queen daughter. I almost took her out in January when she had her wisdom teeth out. I'm not saying she's not in pain (I can look at her and tell she is), but she is such a MEAN sick person. It's really hard to be nice to her sometimes.

I do appreciate all the advice though. It'll be helpful.