Menu

2 cups of dog food, three times per day? Golden Retrievers...

We're dog sitting our neighbors two goldens this week. My boys went over this morning to get the instructions and just told me the dogs get fed 2 cups of purina per dog, three times a day. Can that be correct?!

Our last dog was huge and only got a cup in the am and pm- but he was the effeciency model of a dog. :)

I need perspective. I've never ever heard of feeding a dog three times a day. :001_huh:

Jo

How old are the dogs? If they are puppies, depending on their age you might feed 3x/day. But even older pups are usually down to 2x/day.

As far as quantity - we feed our yr. old lab 4c once a day in the evening, and our 7 yr old shep/chow/lab mix 2c in the evening. She used to get more but the vet said to put her on a diet because she was carrying too much weight. We've always fed once a day in the p.m. That way they do their duties in the a.m. and are good for the day if they have to be left in side for long periods of time.

Is it possible that the "scoop" they use to dish out the food is not actually 1 cup but less? Or perhaps, they said 2 "cups" as in scoops spread out over 3 feedings. 6 cups/day does seem to be a bit much. I think I'd ask for clarification just to be sure.

Just my opinion.

Peggy

Wow. Thanks everyone. This is the perspective I needed. They are not quite a year- so still very, very active. From what you all posted, this seems normal.

I just can't imagine feeding dogs 3x/day. I know they don't have worries about my kids visiting them enough. ;) We are currently without pets, and living vicariously through the neighbors.

Jo

I have a Golden mix, and I would not feed him 3X a day. First, Purina is lousy dog food, full of fillers, and that would make them want to poop more often. Second, Golden's tend to put on wait very easily.

Are you walking them after meals?

I feed mine 4 cups of dry food a day. And give him lots of exercise. We also use Dr Foster Natural Food.

They also need some kind of denta-bone throughout the day for their teeth.

Make sure they have plenty of water to drink.

They are great dogs:001_smile:

Purina dog chow is given in larger quantities than more expensive, higher nutrition dog foods. We feed our adult Schnoodle about 2 1/2 cups twice a day with warm water added. (His "breed" will bloat and sicken if food isn't moistened.) Two young dogs together may be playing and burning more calories?

That food is um, not my first choice; yes, you do need to feed a lot of it as it's just not as nutritionally dense.

With larger breeds, it's common to recommend 2 meals or more as an attempt to prevent bloat (gastric torsion). By this age I'd have the dog down to two meals/day though, unless there's a strong history of bloat in the lines, or other medical indications for a 3rd meal.

Wow. Thanks everyone. This is the perspective I needed. They are not quite a year- so still very, very active. From what you all posted, this seems normal.

I just can't imagine feeding dogs 3x/day. I know they don't have worries about my kids visiting them enough. ;) We are currently without pets, and living vicariously through the neighbors.

Jo

That seems high to me and we feed Purina Naturals. If it's Plain Purina, the green bag, the kibbles are bigger, so that might be the reason for the amount. Also don't be surprised if the dogs eat less while the owners are gone. Depending on how much play time they are getting, their appetites may be a little off.

Yes, the cheaper the dog food, the more the food. The more active the dog, the more the food. Are they fat? Feeding dogs 3 times a day is optimal as opposed to two or once a day. It's more likely to prevent bloat and slamming their food down.

We're not home enough for 3 times a day, so we do it twice. The amount depends on the food. If they were to get Iams or Eukanuba food, the amount would be less as it's a better food. If they're not fat, I wouldn't worry about it. Even humans, it's better to eat a little all day than to eat huge quantities only twice.

Yes, the cheaper the dog food, the more the food. The more active the dog, the more the food. Are they fat? Feeding dogs 3 times a day is optimal as opposed to two or once a day. It's more likely to prevent bloat and slamming their food down.

We're not home enough for 3 times a day, so we do it twice. The amount depends on the food. If they were to get Iams or Eukanuba food, the amount would be less as it's a better food. If they're not fat, I wouldn't worry about it. Even humans, it's better to eat a little all day than to eat huge quantities only twice.

Okay. Our family used Eukanuba, and I don't know that much about other foods. It doesn't really matter, they aren't our dogs and it is their choice. I just wanted to make sure my boys heard correctly. :)

jO