Menu

Why I LOVE homeschooling - super cool genealogy!

I have discovered that my education was lacking when I was younger. And NO ONE in my family thought to make things known to me that are amazingly cool and fascinating.

We're studying the early Americans right now - the Mayflower etc. How many times do you go through that history in school? Every November, right?

Well, I was talking to my grandpa (who loves the fact that I'm schooling my kids) and he pulled out his family's genealogy. My ancestors came over ON THE MAYFLOWER! Squanto lived with my ancestors when he was teaching the pilgrims to farm. The treaty with Massasoit was signed in my family's home. HELLO!!!! Did no one think to tell me these things when I was growing up? My kids are absolutely enthralled with all these connections to real history!

Anyway, just having an amazing homeschool experience here. Had to share!

I have discovered that my education was lacking when I was younger. And NO ONE in my family thought to make things known to me that are amazingly cool and fascinating.

We're studying the early Americans right now - the Mayflower etc. How many times do you go through that history in school? Every November, right?

Well, I was talking to my grandpa (who loves the fact that I'm schooling my kids) and he pulled out his family's genealogy. My ancestors came over ON THE MAYFLOWER! Squanto lived with my ancestors when he was teaching the pilgrims to farm. The treaty with Massasoit was signed in my family's home. HELLO!!!! Did no one think to tell me these things when I was growing up? My kids are absolutely enthralled with all these connections to real history!

Anyway, just having an amazing homeschool experience here. Had to share!

Very cool! And we found out last year that dh has a distant relative who is a direct descendant of William Bradford!!

My dc were very excited to learn that they are distantly related to William Clark. We just studied Lewis and Clark so it was kind of neat! I should find out the specifics but I don't know anything about looking into genealogy.

Edited by Michelle in TX

How cool is that!! I haven't done any geneology because I'm afraid my adopted daughters will feel left out. I'm not sure how to handle that.

I have done our genealogy (well, am doing it, as it's an ongoing project ;))---my lines and my husband's lines, including that of his birth father *and* adoptive father. They are just as much a part of your family history as your children by birth, right? Your parents are their grandparents, your siblings their aunts and uncles. There's a difference in the genetic heritage and the cultural/family history heritage. They may not have the former, but they certainly have the latter.

The Stephen Hopkins connection is directly through my great-grandmother's side. On my great-grandfather's side, the closest we get to fame is Gen. John Bell Hood who defended Atlanta during the Civil War. :glare: He didn't do such a great job. Sherman kind of ran all over him.

DH swears his family is directly related to Robert E. Lee, but I've never seen the proof. I think he just wants to say his ancestors were the bosses of my ancestors. ;)

I can't understand why no one thought I would enjoy that history when I was a kid? The only thing I can figure is we never really talked about school work at home so the topic never came up. Crazy people!

Anse Hatfield (the one who started all that trouble with the McCoys) is my first cousin, 9 times removed. LOL

And, my great x 9 grandfather sailed his own ship to the US from England in 1649.

I feel proud that my family has been here since the beginning of this nation. :patriot:

How cool is that!! I haven't done any geneology because I'm afraid my adopted daughters will feel left out. I'm not sure how to handle that.

There is an accepted anthropological way of noting adopted kids on family trees. I don't know why they would need to feel left out. Legally their DNA is the same as yours, even though physically it isn't. That makes your ancestors their ancestors too, but by adoption.

Rosie- descended from Little John of Robin Hood fame, apparently :D

Cool beans! :D

I'm likely related to Mary Surratt, one of the conspirators in the Lincoln assassination. Heh. Not really something to be proud of, is it? smiley-whacky094.gif

I have also convinced myself that my dh (of Scottish descent) is a direct descendant of James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, of Outlander fame. :tongue_smilie:

And my great-uncle discovered Niniveh and its library! Beat that :tongue_smilie:

He was also director of the Louvres in Paris. You know, the guy that gets killed at the beginning of Da Vinci Code? Yup, my great-uncle a couple of years before the novel...

Edited by CleoQc

I love hearing about everyone's ancestors. We are descended from a nephew of William the Conqueror. My DS8 latched on to William and has decided he's royalty. Good Grief! We may need to do a little more research. Not too thrilled about the feudal system.

and, my great x 9 grandfather sailed his own ship to the US from England in 1649.

I feel proud that my family has been here since the beginning of this nation. :patriot:

Wow! That's very cool!!

We are proud to say that our family has been here since about the beginning of this nation too. We were able to trace our geneology back to coming over from Scotland in 1743. We've had relatives who have fought in every American war. BUT, none that have sailed their own ships here!! ;)