Menu

Chalkdust Math and less $$$

Pongo

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if the Chalkdust Algebra 1 solutions manual, which I think is a 3rd edition, would work with the HM Elementary Algebra tex, which I think is the 2nd edition? I may have gotten the editions backwards, but I know that one is 2nd and the other 3rd.

I bought the HM dvd's (set of 13) for Elementary/Intermediate algebra. Although they work, they are choppy. I hope they are not pirated. They came in the blue cardboard binder folder with the HM name on both the binder and the cds. Anyone have this experience before?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Susan

I have the Chalkdust Algebra 1 Second Ed solutions guide and it does NOT match up with the Larson/Hostetler Elementary Algebra (4th Edition) book. This is the text pictured on the DVDs.

I have the Student Solutions guide for the LH 4th edition; it is odd answers only.

HTH

• 7 months later...
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but those who ordered the Houghton Mifflin dvds along with the books- are you satisfied? Did it work well for your child? I'm considering the Pre-Algebra and Elementary Algebra in particular. Thanks!

We've made it through the first half of Algebra I (Elementary) using the DVDs and the combined text. I'm very happy with the results. My 14 year old son is tolerating it and making a low-B. He has had to work very hard, following along in the lecture, taking notes, going over examples in the books and doing every 4th problem or more if he doesn't get it. But he is rarely confused or frustrated. In my book, that's success!

I will admit that I was a lousy math student and barely passed Algebra I in high school. I think if Dr. Mosely was my teacher then, it would have made a huge difference.

I had some trouble with the DVDs not playing properly on a few of our dvd players. Once I found one that worked I noted that sometimes the sound and video are slightly out of sync. My computer guru son just clicks on the arrow on the progress bar a few times and it gets more in sync. We use Windows Media Player or DviX Player software.

hth

K

• 2 months later...
I am interested in the Basic Math set. When I click the link that Pongo posted earlier in this thread, it goes to a set on Amazon that says VHS. Does anyone have the ISBN for the dvds?

The ISBN is 061852021X

Amazon has the DVDs here; they're available new from Marketplace Sellers for as little as $3 plus shipping.

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pongo-Ive been researching buying chalkdust geometry with the isbn-amazon.It looks like the textbk's author is the same but title is different..'Elementary Geometry for college students' versus just 'Geometry' and the isbn dvd's are taught by Daniel Alexander.. not Mosely.am I right in saying this?? Just want to check before I buy-thanks for your imput

tusky62

jmatherpike@yahoo.com

Hi Pongo-Ive been researching buying chalkdust geometry with the isbn-amazon.It looks like the textbk's author is the same but title is different..'Elementary Geometry for college students' versus just 'Geometry' and the isbn dvd's are taught by Daniel Alexander.. not Mosely.am I right in saying this?? Just want to check before I buy-thanks for your imput

tusky62

jmatherpike@yahoo.com

I have this set sitting in front of me and Dana Mosely is the instructor. Here is a link to a set for sale on the internet:

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=10535226848&browse=1&isbn=9780618645336&qsort=&page=1

The textbook is Elementary Geometry for College Students 4 edition

ISBN 13: 978-0-618-64525-1

hth

K

• 1 month later...

I tried putting together a cheaper version of the CD Algebra 1, but haven't been successful. If anyone can help me out, I'd be so grateful. I need this for my daughter, but just can't manage the full price right now. Any help or links to the dvds or books would be appreciated! Thanks!

I tried putting together a cheaper version of the CD Algebra 1, but haven't been successful. If anyone can help me out, I'd be so grateful. I need this for my daughter, but just can't manage the full price right now. Any help or links to the dvds or books would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here's am Amazon link to DVD set (these dvds are for Algebra I & II - all you will need for both classes)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618753966/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1305726291&sr=8-1&condition=new

Solutions Guide (Again for Combined Course - Algebra I & II)

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Intermediate-Algebra-Combined-Solutions/dp/0618388389/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305726486&sr=1-1

Textbook (Combined text)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618753540/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1305726611&sr=1-17&condition=new

These are what we have and we are really learning a lot and enjoying Dr. Mosely's lectures.

hth!

K

Here's am Amazon link to DVD set (these dvds are for Algebra I & II - all you will need for both classes)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618753966/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1305726291&sr=8-1&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Intermediate-Algebra-Combined-Solutions/dp/0618388389/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305726486&sr=1-1

Textbook (Combined text)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0618753540/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1305726611&sr=1-17&condition=new

These are what we have and we are really learning a lot and enjoying Dr. Mosely's lectures.

hth!

K

Thanks! I'll go check them out!

Textbook (Combined text)

hth!

K

Are you doing this complete for Algebra 1 Credit? Or does it count as Algebra 1 & 2 credit? Do you do Geometry in between or after you are done with this combined course? Then Precalc? Thanks!

Has anyone confirmed that these are NOT pirated copies? Is CD & Prof Mosely -- and his brother/business partner -- receiving financial compensation for these rogue copies on Amazon? I should hope so.

ETA: Never mind. Jackie gave me the scoop. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
correction

Are you doing this complete for Algebra 1 Credit? Or does it count as Algebra 1 & 2 credit? Do you do Geometry in between or after you are done with this combined course? Then Precalc? Thanks!

I'm doing the first six chapters and counting them as Algebra I. My MIL, a retired math teacher (junior and high-school level) noted that my children and learning more than she had to teach for an Algebra I credit. We are moving on to the cheap Geometry (Alexander-Koeberlei text) and then we will resume with Algebra II using the last six or seven chapters of the Combined Course text.

The DVDs that I purchased are not "pirated" -- I think there is money pirating movies and music dvds -- not sure there is a big market for pirating math instruction dvds....but I could be wrong.

Both DVD sets that I bought came shrink-wrapped in cardboard folders that were produced for Houghton-Mifflin. Each DVD is clearly labeled and in perfect condition. I am thinking that they were marketed to educational institutes and are either overstocks (of the publishing company or the schools). If the schools purchased them, then Dr. Mosely was compensated by the publishing company. If the publishing company released them into the market and it was within their rights, then nothing fishy is going on here.

I buy used textbooks all the time and I don't question if the publisher/author got their share. I figure the original purchaser paid him or her.

Has anyone confirmed that these are NOT pirated copies? Is CD & Prof Mosely -- and his brother/business partner -- receiving financial compensation for these rogue copies on Amazon? I should hope so.

Actually, Dana Mosely was paid by Houghton Mifflin to produce these lectures specifically for Houghton Mifflin, which sells/licenses them for use by schools and colleges. I have the HM/Cengage DVDs and texts for Basic Math, Prealg, Alg I/II, and Precalc, and they all came in the original, barcoded, shrink-wrapped publisher's packaging.

Dana Mosely repackages and sells the exact same lectures, which he created for HM, to homeschoolers under the Chalkdust name. The texts and the DVDs that Chalkdust sells are the same texts and DVDs that Houghton Mifflin sells, except that Chalkdust charges hundreds of dollars more. Those who buy the products through Chalkdust do get additional support, but for those parents who don't need the extra help, buying the HM/Cengage DVDs and the textbooks from Amazon saves a bundle.

Jackie

I think I bought the Basic Math DVD set yesterday on Amazon for around $14 and the 8th edition text to go with it for .01 plus shipping. What what I could tell of the HM site there wasn't much of a difference between 8th and 9th edit. texts (which I will mostly use for review). The DVD set appeared the same for both editions except the price was more for the 9th. It has shipped, so we will see when it gets here! Thanks for the tips. I had my dd watch the free fractions DVD that Dana Mosely has on his Chalkdust website the other day and it is right about where she is in her MM studies, so I am thinking it will be a nice complement to watch the DVDs for additional help or guidance.

Actually, Dana Mosely was paid by Houghton Mifflin to produce these lectures specifically for Houghton Mifflin, which sells/licenses them for use by schools and colleges. I have the HM/Cengage DVDs and texts for Basic Math, Prealg, Alg I/II, and Precalc, and they all came in the original, barcoded, shrink-wrapped publisher's packaging.

Dana Mosely repackages and sells the exact same lectures, which he created for HM, to homeschoolers under the Chalkdust name. The texts and the DVDs that Chalkdust sells are the same texts and DVDs that Houghton Mifflin sells, except that Chalkdust charges hundreds of dollars more. Those who buy the products through Chalkdust do get additional support, but for those parents who don't need the extra help, buying the HM/Cengage DVDs and the textbooks from Amazon saves a bundle.

Jackie

This post is what initially aroused my curiosity this morning:

We're on our second year of "fake" CD, and I am very happy with it. Like a pp mentioned, not all of our dvd players will play the dvd's, not sure why, but otherwise smooth sailing.

I'm thrilled to hear they are legitimate materials from Prof. Mosely & the gang at CD-- whom I adore.

I'm doing the first six chapters and counting them as Algebra I. My MIL' date=' a retired math teacher (junior and high-school level) noted that my children and learning more than she had to teach for an Algebra I credit. [b']We are moving on to the cheap Geometry (Alexander-Koeberlei text) and then we will resume with Algebra II using the last six or seven chapters of the Combined Course text. [/b]

I guess I am a bit confused here. Do the first 6 chapters take a whole year (36 weeks) to complete? Or you're doing the first 6 chapters in 6 weeks and then moving straight into Geometry?

I'm doing the first six chapters and counting them as Algebra I. My MIL' date=' a retired math teacher (junior and high-school level) noted that my children and learning more than she had to teach for an Algebra I credit. [b']We are moving on to the cheap Geometry (Alexander-Koeberlei text) and then we will resume with Algebra II using the last six or seven chapters of the Combined Course text. [/b]

I guess I am a bit confused here. Do the first 6 chapters take a whole year (36 weeks) to complete? Or you're doing the first 6 chapters in 6 weeks and then moving straight into Geometry?

Each chapter is made up of multiple sections and include a mid-chapter quiz and an end-of-chapter test. There are tests for chapters 1-3 and 4-6 which I use as exams. There are lots of exercises and review problems throughout the text. So, yes it can take 36 weeks to do 6 chapters.:)

First- thank you all so much! I got all of the new Geometry for <$35! :D

Second- the ISBN's posted here for Alg II are for the 3rd edition of the text. The original Alg II sold on Chalkdust's website was the 2nd edition. (Now of course they are selling the 5th.) The changes from 2nd to 5th are listed on the Chalkdust website. But can anyone tell me if there are any major changes between the 2nd and 3rd editions?

My reason for asking is that I have an amazing teacher willing to teach this at our new co-op. She has lesson plans etc. for the 2nd edition and I'm sure does not want to change, BUT the 3rd edition is sooo much cheaper and more readily available used, which is important in our area.

She is probably thinking I am a crazy person, but I really want this to work!

Thanks!

Georgia

• 3 months later...
Guest sarahgracet

I am trying to get the 6th grade basic math package together. Are these the correct DVD's? And what edition of the book do I use? I saw comments stating that 7th and 8th edition. 8th seems to be a college level book. How can this course be simple enough for a 6th grader and hard enough for a college course? Help?

And a HUGE thank you for this thread:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Partyof7

I know this thread is quite old, but still very relevant for those of us who know the strength in the DVDs and approach but do not have $400 to pay for a year of math instruction. Some of the information on here confused me once I started looking on Amazon becasue of author names and multiple titles from the publisher, all with the same name. I suspect that over time perhaps certain textbook prices have jumped while the same book under a different author's name has stayed lower. I still can't figure out how the authors names can change and the series stay the same, but that is what I found.

These are tje Dana Mosley DVDs, and that is what mattered to me most. I do NOT know if it is the exact same textbook as ChalkDust's, but the DVDs DO follow the chapters of the corresponding H-M textbooks, and the style of teaching and chapter layout is the same.

The links are only a starting point. SHOP AROUND. :) What happens is that people will start list a book in a different way, which starts a new 'option'. You might find the same book listed three of four different ways, with prices all over the place. I already found two copies of the DVDs cheaper, after I ordered mine. Just be careful to match the author and level (don't go getting preCal by accident)

textbook for algebra (sometimes described as college algebra, but it is the same)

by Ron Larson and Robert Hostetler, copyright 2005

ISBN-13: 978-1-618-75353-6

ISBN-10: 0-618-75353-2

**special note- the "student support" bit is an online study center, which is no longer hosted at the website listed in the book

My price was $7.76, pp on Amazon (used- very good condition)

"answer book"- but it is more than that. It shows the steps taken to solve the problem.

by Carolyn F Neptune copyright 2005

ISBN-13: 978-0-618-38819-6

ISBN-10: 0-618-38819-2

**special note- This book is written by Netune as a suppliment to the textbooks written by Larson and Hostetler. quoted from the preface,

"The
Student Solution Guide
includes solutions for the odd-numbered exercises in the text, including chapter reviews. In addition, this book contains the solutions for all exercises, even-numbered as well as odd-numbered, from the Review: Concepts, Skills, and Problem Solving, mid-chapter quizzes, chapter tests, and cumulative tests."

My price was $4.89 , pp on Amazon (used "good" condition but was brand new)

"the videos"

Larson/Hostetler DVD Program, copyright 2005

ISBN-10: 0-618-38841-9

**special note- the Amazon pictures are NOT accurate as to what you get. The pic is to match the DVDs to the corresponding math books. The discs come in two tall blue cardboard folders that say "The Houghton Mifflin Mathematics Instructional DVD Series" on them. There are other math levels that use this cardboard folder (trig, calculus) so don't go by the front cover pic! It tells what course is included on the back of the folders.

This is a 9 disk set, that will cover all the information in the Elementary Algebra book and the Intermediate Algebra book. Basically, they are teaching Alg1 and 2 together. My high school daughter said that she would have much preferred that over sticking Geometry in the middle. Given that these books are supposed to be for college, it could be that they felt the same way.

My price was $30.97, pp on Amazon (new, sealed)

I am now on the hunt for the Basic Math videos and book. I hope they are the same as the 2009 posts.