Menu

Chalkdust Math and less $$$

Pongo

Just wanted to note here that the cd's that come with Chalkdust are all indeed done by Dana Mosely..

I don't this this was ever in dispute. Indeed they are Dana Mosely but so are the HM ones for a fraction of the price.

Also - one thing that you receive when you purchase your products thru Chalkdust is both the assurance that if you have any problems with the dvd's you will have that rectified by the company, and also the opportunity to receive help from Mr. Mosley via phone or e-mail for as long as you own the program. You may purchase this option thru Chalkdust for a fee if you purchase used materials.

That's great that is available, to those who use Dana Mosley DVD's.

We have had a long association with Chalkdust in our homeschooling journey and they are very kind and gracious people. I appreciate that they make their assistance available even to those who purchase used materials.

I have not had any association with CD other that I think that Mr. Mosley has made some wonderful resources. My only real qualm is that, if my kids were in public school they would be able to get the IDENTICAL DVD's through the school resource department for a fraction of the cost. Through PS they would also have free access to Math Space as well as many other perks from the publisher Houghton Mifflin. But CD is purposefully selling the DVDs as if they are exclusive from them, they are not, and the cost of 1 DVD from Chalkdust (which they do sell) is sometimes a complete set from textbook dealers, how's that fair?

Edited by Pongo

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm keeping the info for the Algebra sets for later use. Does anyone have the Basic Math info? I have a soon to be 6th grader and would like to use this material with him and save any money I can. I really appreciate the work that Fay has done. If anyone has the Basic Math--ISBNs I would love to have them.:001_smile:

Jen

Guest mominindianapolis
I don't this this was ever in dispute. Indeed they are Dana Mosely but so are the HM ones for a fraction of the price.

That's great that is available, to those who use Dana Mosley DVD's.

I have not had any association with CD other that I think that Mr. Mosley has made some wonderful resources. My only real qualm is that, if my kids were in public school they would be able to get the IDENTICAL DVD's through the school resource department for a fraction of the cost. Through PS they would also have free access to Math Space as well as many other perks from the publisher Houghton Mifflin. But CD is purposefully selling the DVDs as if they are exclusive from them, they are not, and the cost of 1 DVD from Chalkdust (which they do sell) is sometimes a complete set from textbook dealers, how's that fair?

I would suggest calling the company and asking your questions. Perhaps Mr. Mosely will answer your questions here as well. :)

Basic Math

Here is the low down, I got my stuff and it's all correct. I happen to notice that these DVD's for the Basic Math come with 6 DVD's but, if you were to get them through CD you would get only 4 and this is my understanding on why.

After checking the chapters with the DVD's, the Chalkdust DVD's do not have the last 4 chapters that the HM DVD's have.

I went and looked at the Pre-algebra DVD's TOC, and I can see that the last 2 DVD's of the Basic Math I received are identical to the first two of pre-algebra. I am assuming they did this because, the text they (CD) decided to call a 6th grade Basic Math text, is also used as a college remedial text. That's the reason for the College Basic Math title. They had to chop out the last 4 chapters so it can be a suitable 6th grade text, without doing that it would have moved too quickly.

What does all this mean?

Well basically, if you decide to order the textbooks from Chalkdust, then you will have 2 discs left over using this disc set from HM, the content is IDENTICAL ( I checked with a friends Basic Math from CD). If you decided to get the HM DVD AND the Textbooks that are not from Chalkdust (a MUCH cheaper option IMHO, and what I did for $55 shipped), you will simply omit the last 4 chapters of the non-chalkdust text and the last 2 DVD's from HM. You would do that ONLY if this is what you plan on using for a 6th grade math program. If you plan on using this for an older student and you want to go right into Algebra 1, and skip a prealgebra program then you could use the entire text and ALL the DVD's. The topics are almost identical to Lials Basic College Math, and I know many use that as a pre-algebra text.

Got it?

DVD 7th Edition (6 DVD's)

Teacher Edition ISBN: 978-0618202867

Student Text ISBN: 978-0618202850

Okay ladies, my work here is done.;)

I would suggest calling the company and asking your questions. Perhaps Mr. Mosely will answer your questions here as well. :)

I purchased the calculus DVDs directly from HM 5 years ago for get this, $36, including shipping. The DVDs featured Mr. Mosley, and matched up lesson by lesson to the DVDs Mr. Mosley sells through CD.

Why would I pay $450, when I can purchase a used text, used solutions manual, and a brand new DVD set for less than $150? Something smells fishy to this HS'er. I even emailed a few parents on the HS board about this last year.

Here's a prime example: http://tinyurl.com/c6vng6

This is for a 4th edition Larson Calculus DVD set featuring Mr. Mosley. Um, I just saved a parent roughly $300-350 off the Chalkdust price of $449 with shipping.

For those of you who are using CD prealgebra, besides buying the DVD's textbook, and the solutions guide, is the instructor's edition necessary? Thanks.

It depends. The instructor's edition contains all the problems from what I've heard. The text provides enough odd numbered problems that you do not really need to buy the IE, if you do not wish. Some lessons include over 100 problems! Even If dd completed half the odd problems, she'd do at 20 to-30 problems per math session. If dd were to get stuck or need more exposure to an algorithm, I'd assign select problems from the remaining gazillion odd ones.

If you can't locate any of the resources via the 13 digit ISBN, try the 10 digit one. I found more listings using the 10 digit ISBN than the newer 13 digit number.

I'm not Pongo, but as far as I can tell, you only need the Teacher's Edition if you want the solutions to ALL of the problems. The Solutions Guide only has solutions for odd problems. There are apparently more than enough problems to work through using only odds.

You don't need it, it has answers to all the problems. But you wouldn't want to give that many to a student. You give them the odd problems. If they bomb, you review the lesson, and you can give them the evens or just the odds again since they got them wrong the first time:)

I'm not Pongo, but as far as I can tell, you only need the Teacher's Edition if you want the solutions to ALL of the problems. The Solutions Guide only has solutions for odd problems. There are apparently more than enough problems to work through using only odds.

Yep, what she said:)

• 4 weeks later...

I consolidated all of Pongo's information into one post. I got my precalculus a few days ago for under $50.

basic math

DVD 7th Edition (6 DVD's)

Teacher Edition ISBN: 978-0618202867

Student Text ISBN: 978-0618202850

pre-algebra

DVD $29.52

TM $23.45

Soloutions (ODD Only) starting at $1.55

Text-Used starting at 83 cents, yup I said cents

algebra 1

Elementary Algebra the same as Algebra 1

Student textbook put out by Chalkdust ISBN-13: 978-0618107742

Student textbook for less… ISBN-13: 978-0618753871(doesn’t say Chalkdust)

Solution Guide by CD ISBN-13: 978-0618107773

Solution Guide not by CD (cheaper) ISBN: 9780618388196

Videos ISBN-13: 9780618388233 (Make sure you get 6 videos).

algebra 2

Algebra 2 DVD-ISBN: 9780618306763

Text ISBN: 9780618218783

Student Solutions ISBN 978-0618218806

precalculus

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Li...523042&sr=11-1

Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (dvd edition) (CD-ROM)

# ISBN-10: 0618394877

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394876

http://www.amazon.com/Precalculus-Fu..._sim_b_title_2

Precalculus Functions And Graphs: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394761

# ISBN-13: 978-0618394760

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Study and Solutions Guide to Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach / Precalculus With Limits: A Graphing Approach (Paperback)

# ISBN-10: 0618394818

Let me add the Geometry:)

Traditional Geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618400959

Text

ISBN-13: 978-0669316650

Teachers Annotated Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0669316674

Complete Solutions Guide

ISBN 13: 978-0669-31679-7

New geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618645336

Text

ISBN-13: 9780618645251

Solutions Manual

ISBN-13: 978-0618645268

Just in case you notice that the precalculus has two different titles, my text says it's Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach. My dvds and solution manual both say they are for Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach AND Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach. They must have published it with two different titles.

When I google (or search amazon, ecampus etc) with the bolded ISBN, I always get a hardcover textbook, not the DVDs. The ISBN for the "New" DVDs works fine. Is there another ISBN for the "Traditional" Geometry DVDs?

Thanks,

Jackie

Let me add the Geometry:)

Traditional Geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618400959

Text

ISBN-13: 978-0669316650

Teachers Annotated Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0669316674

Complete Solutions Guide

ISBN 13: 978-0669-31679-7

New geo.

DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618645336

Text

ISBN-13: 9780618645251

Solutions Manual

ISBN-13: 978-0618645268

• 3 weeks later...
When I google (or search amazon, ecampus etc) with the bolded ISBN, I always get a hardcover textbook, not the DVDs. The ISBN for the "New" DVDs works fine. Is there another ISBN for the "Traditional" Geometry DVDs?

Thanks,

Jackie

Just bumpint this up as I had the same issue. Also, what is the difference between the two?

I see on some sites it does come up as Hardcover, I found it here and it says personal tutor. I'm not sure if they changed the description but, it's the I have the complete set and it worked. The cover on mine is worn so I can't see ALL the ISBN numbers on the back. Maybe someone else can chime in:)

Bumping for others, and to add...

I recently ordered both new geo & algebra 2 directly from C.D. If you're thinking you'll get fabulous customer service ordering thru a h.s. supplier, think again. Next time I'll use the info you all have provided and find the materials elsewhere. CD (the company) is over-priced and overrated.

I found the textbook and solutions guide for Algebra 1 on Amazon for less than $30.00 for both. I am now on a quest to find the DVDs or videotapes. The sites I have checked say they are discontinued by the manufacturer. Any hints?

I haven't been able to find the Algebra 1 DVDs either. I had ordered them from Biggerbooks.com, and then a few weeks later, they cancelled my order saying the DVDs were unavailable. That was very disappointing. I'm really hoping that I won't have to end up buying from Chalkdust.

If anyone finds them, please let us know!

Thanks.

I found the Half.com set as well. I was surprised to see the selling price is much higher than the list price. I am hoping to find them at a lower price so I am going to take my chances and keep looking.

I wonder if any one who purchased the DVDs for future use would be willing to rent them out to those of us who would like to use them this fall.

As you know, the DVD's are not textbook specific. So what I did was look at just Algebra 1 for Mr. Moelsy. I found this , then I went to the publisher website and looked up the TOC to this DVD set it said:

Developed to correlate with the use of the texts by Ron Larson, Robert P. Hostetler: Elementary Algebra, Elementary and Intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra.

So I wanted to check even further and here is the TOC just for you:rolleyes::

DVD 1. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 1 The real numbers ; Chap. 2. Fundamentals of algebra -- DVD 2. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving -- DVD 3. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 1. Fundamentals of algebra ; Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities -- DVD 4. (Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; Chap. 4. Equations and inequalities in two variables/graphs and functions ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities ; Chap. 3. Graphs and functions -- DVD 5. (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Graphs and functions ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities -- DVD 6. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 5. Exponents and polynomials ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring -- DVD 7. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 6. Factoring and solving equations ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions -- DVD 8. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra)) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions ; Chap. 9/Chap. 7. Radicals and complex numbers ; Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities -- DVD 9. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities ; Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions -- DVD 10. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions ; Chap. 12/Chap. 10. Conics ; Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 11. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 7. Rational expressions and equations ; Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 12. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 9. Radical expression and equations -- DVD 13. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 10. Quadratic equations and functions.

I checked them against my HM DVD's and the chapters are all there:D

Edited by Pongo

Thanks so much, Fay! I just ordered. Once it arrives, I'll post again!

As you know, the DVD's are not textbook specific. So what I did was look at jut Algebra 1 for Mr. Moelsy. I found this , then I went to the publisher website and looked up the TOC to this DVD set it said:

Developed to correlate with the use of the texts by Ron Larson, Robert P. Hostetler: Elementary Algebra, Elementary and Intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra.

So I wanted to check even further and here is the TOC just for you:rolleyes::

DVD 1. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 1 The real numbers ; Chap. 2. Fundamentals of algebra -- DVD 2. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving -- DVD 3. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 1. Fundamentals of algebra ; Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities -- DVD 4. (Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; Chap. 4. Equations and inequalities in two variables/graphs and functions ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities ; Chap. 3. Graphs and functions -- DVD 5. (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Graphs and functions ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities -- DVD 6. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 5. Exponents and polynomials ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring -- DVD 7. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 6. Factoring and solving equations ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions -- DVD 8. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra)) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions ; Chap. 9/Chap. 7. Radicals and complex numbers ; Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities -- DVD 9. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities ; Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions -- DVD 10. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions ; Chap. 12/Chap. 10. Conics ; Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 11. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 7. Rational expressions and equations ; Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 12. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 9. Radical expression and equations -- DVD 13. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 10. Quadratic equations and functions.

I checked them against my HM DVD's and the chapters are all there:D

Fay,

Thanks SO much for posting this information. CD has always been cost prohibitive for us! I just bought CD Geometry used at a good price, but now I can search online and get an even better deal - thanks!!

I had a few questions regarding Algebra 1 :-)

1) Is the Student Text basically the TM?

2) Does the Solution Guide by CD contain all problems (odds & evens) worked out? and the non CD solution guide only has odds?

3)I don't need this set right away (younger dd will be SM 6A/6B this coming year and next school year jump into Alg 1). Like the above poster, I can't locate DVDs on amazon right now, but wondered if you could give me some of the websites (other than Amazon and half.com) that you've had success with? (Perhaps in a few months the DVDs available again?)

Thanks again for sharing!!! Love this forum!

Fay,

Thanks SO much for posting this information. CD has always been cost prohibitive for us! I just bought CD Geometry used at a good price, but now I can search online and get an even better deal - thanks!!

I had a few questions regarding Algebra 1 :-)

1) Is the Student Text basically the TM?

2) Does the Solution Guide by CD contain all problems (odds & evens) worked out? and the non CD solution guide only has odds?

3)I don't need this set right away (younger dd will be SM 6A/6B this coming year and next school year jump into Alg 1). Like the above poster, I can't locate DVDs on amazon right now, but wondered if you could give me some of the websites (other than Amazon and half.com) that you've had success with? (Perhaps in a few months the DVDs available again?)

Thanks again for sharing!!! Love this forum!

Your welcome:)

Answer to 1) no, the student text is different from the TM. The tm suggestions, lesson breakdowns, and answers but not done step by step, just answers.

2)The CD Solutions guide does have ALL the problems worked out, the other had ODD's only. You had it right.

3)I have used these sites several times:

Alibris

ecampus

Valore Books

Cengage bought out Houghton Mifflin in 2007. I looks like they are making new editions, not changing the content but putting a new cover them. Worst case is, you could always call the company and they may send you a set retail is under $50. CD charges a few hundred for the DVD's.

Good Luck!

Edited by Pongo

I tried customer service at Chalkdust and was very disappointed. In fact, I found them rude. I don't understand either why they sell to homeschoolers the same program as they sell to libraries and schools, but at a higher price. The prices are listed on their website! Plus I wanted to purchase just one DVD in one program, but they were going to charge me $15 to ship it to me. Now, really.

That said...I think Chalkdust is buying up the DVDs:glare:

I tried customer service at Chalkdust and was very disappointed. In fact, I found them rude. I don't understand either why they sell to homeschoolers the same program as they sell to libraries and schools, but at a higher price. The prices are listed on their website! Plus I wanted to purchase just one DVD in one program, but they were going to charge me $15 to ship it to me. Now, really.

That said...I think Chalkdust is buying up the DVDs:glare:

We use CD and I am happy with the program, but I must say CD has the worst, rudest customer service I have ever had to deal with. :001_huh:

I bought a set of Precalculus DVD and they were sealed when they arrived. However, they were defective. The tracks would not play. So there are some of these issues out there also.

Still $50 from the manufacturer who will back up the sale isn't too bad.

Blessings,

Stephanie

I had ordered the textbook and answer key last week. I just received an email saying that the order has been canceled and I will be issued a refund. So much for trying to go the cheaper route.

I still haven't found the set of DVDs so I guess I am being directed to find something else.

That happened to me the first time too. Keep trying! I was able to find everything at Amazon, much much cheaper than via CD.

Yep, I bet CD is following this thread. Who else would give it a less than five star rating? :D

well on a positive note..

mabye if they read this thread they will see how rude they are and how many customers it turns away ( I refuse to PAY someone to be rude to me, tyvm!)

maybe they'll see how many more sales they could generate if they lowered the price to a reasonable amount. instead of selling 1 item to 1 customer for an outragious price, maybe they could sell 3 for a reasonable price and still make a really good profit. because honestly, the first time I heard about CD, I didn't even look past the price, which is really out of the ballpark for one subject.

and if CD isn't smart enough to see the business smarts of those 2 things, I doubt they'll be around for long. There's just too many other options out there for buyers to choose from that don't do that.