DVD

ISBN-13: 9780618400959

Text

ISBN-13: 978-0669316650

Teachers Annotated Edition

ISBN-13: 978-0669316674

Complete Solutions Guide

ISBN 13: 978-0669-31679-7

Fay, do you (or does anyone else) have the HM/Larson geometry DVDs in the blue package, and is this the ISBN that's printed on the package? Everywhere I've searched for this ISBN I get a listing for a hardcover textbook, some of which say "with personal student tutor" and some of which don't. But even the ones that say they come with the "personal tutor" clearly describe a hardcover book (e.g. citing the condition of the cover, spine, pages, etc).

I'm confused..... :confused:

Jackie

Are these Dana Mosely lecture DVDs? Or digital versions of the textbook? Or something else?

TIA,

Jackie

As you know, the DVD's are not textbook specific. So what I did was look at just Algebra 1 for Mr. Moelsy. I found this , then I went to the publisher website and looked up the TOC to this DVD set it said:

Developed to correlate with the use of the texts by Ron Larson, Robert P. Hostetler: Elementary Algebra, Elementary and Intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra.

So I wanted to check even further and here is the TOC just for you:rolleyes::

DVD 1. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 1 The real numbers ; Chap. 2. Fundamentals of algebra -- DVD 2. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving -- DVD 3. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 1. Fundamentals of algebra ; Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities -- DVD 4. (Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Linear equations and problem solving ; Chap. 4. Equations and inequalities in two variables/graphs and functions ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 2. Linear equations and inequalities ; Chap. 3. Graphs and functions -- DVD 5. (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 3. Graphs and functions ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities -- DVD 6. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 8/Chap. 4. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 5. Exponents and polynomials ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring -- DVD 7. (Elementary algebra, Elementary and intermediate algebra) Chap. 6. Factoring and solving equations ; (Intermediate algebra) Chap. 5. Polynomials and factoring ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions -- DVD 8. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra)) Chap. 7/Chap. 6. Rational expressions, equations, and functions ; Chap. 9/Chap. 7. Radicals and complex numbers ; Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities -- DVD 9. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 10/Chap. 8. Quadratic equations, functions, and inequalities ; Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions -- DVD 10. (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 11/Chap. 9. Exponential and logarithmic functions ; Chap. 12/Chap. 10. Conics ; Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 11. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 7. Rational expressions and equations ; Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; (Elementary and intermediate algebra, Intermediate algebra) Chap. 13/Chap. 11. Sequences, series, and the binomial theorem -- DVD 12. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 8. Systems of equations and inequalities ; Chap. 9. Radical expression and equations -- DVD 13. (Elementary algebra) Chap. 10. Quadratic equations and functions.

I checked them against my HM DVD's and the chapters are all there:D

Are these Dana Mosely lecture DVDs? Or digital versions of the textbook? Or something else?

TIA,

Jackie

I just ordered and received these recently. They are definitely Dana Mosely lecture DVDs. There are 13 of them compared to the 6(?) that I think you get from Chalkdust.

I just ordered and received these recently. They are definitely Dana Mosely lecture DVDs. There are 13 of them compared to the 6(?) that I think you get from Chalkdust.

Thanks so much -- I just ordered these. I noticed that the 2008 edition of the textbook doesn't seem to have a hardcopy solutions manual (looks like it's online access only?), so I went with the 2005 editions of both the student text and solutions manual, which were available quite cheap. What books did you order?

Jackie

Here are some ISBNs for Algebra 1,

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Algebra-Solutions-Second-Publication/dp/0618107770/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245470680&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Algebra-Third-Custom-Publication/dp/0618107746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245471173&sr=1-1

The ISBN numbers match exactly to the student text and solutions manual that I paid full price for. On Amazon, it appears there are copies of the books available. I did notice it says third edition for the student text and second edition for the solutions but the numbers match the backs of my books. Hope this helps someone.

I wanted to add that I LOVE Chalkdust and have used it for over 10 years and yes I paid full price, 6 times. I don't really feel bad because I resold them at a good price too. But with that said, I will never pay full price again and ordered Geometry and Algebra 2 at a very nice discount. Doin' a little dance here and thanks to all who found these at a great price!

I will never pay full price again and ordered Geometry and Algebra 2 at a very nice discount

Where are you finding the Geometry DVDs? Does the listing say DVD? Every single item I've found with the provided ISBN says "hardcover" :confused:

ETA: I'm looking for the "traditional" Geometry DVDs -- the ISBN for those always turns up a hardcover book instead of DVDs. If anyone has successfully located the traditional Geometry DVDs, I would be extremely grateful for the link!

Thanks,

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I picked up the Trigonometry student book, the Complete Solutions Guide, and the DVDs for $100. It looked like only the first two DVDs had been used, and the books were like new.

I think that is a fair price, especially if they are like brand new. I paid $85 for the Alg. I pieces I put together. I haven't received them yet so I have no idea what condition they are in.

I would gladly pay $100 if I could find a complete set from 1 person.

I had the same problem as others who could not find the DVD's. Apparently they are no longer making them?

I finally matched up ISBN's and got some updated editions at half.com for under $60. I too am going to have the 13 discs ballzy describes.

I will update after I get them if they are OK.

I used the following:

Text: 978-0618753871

Solutions manual: 978-0618388196

DVD's: 978-0618753963

Hope this helps someone!

Laurie

I am about ready to give up on this whole Chalkdust at a discount. My DVDs arrived today. I now own 9-13. When I contacted the company I was told they do not have the remainder of the set. They do not know how or why it was sold as a complete set. They also do not anticipate getting any more in stock and suggest I try an 'alternate supplier'. Luckily I can return the DVDs for a full refund.

I honestly don't know how you ladies found these items. I have spent no less than 35 hours in the last month looking for the pieces to get the bargain. My credit card is smoking from the payments and returns of nonexistant items.

So far the only item that I have managed to secure is the Chalkdust Solutions guide. And that isn't going to do me much good without the text or the DVDs.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618753966/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

For anyone having trouble finding the older edition Algebra I DVDs, this link (posted earlier by Pongo) is for the set of 13 DVDs that includes both Alg I & II. You can use the separate Larson books for Alg I & II, or you can use the "combined course" text that covers both. The guide that comes with the DVDs lists which lessons correlate with the lessons in each of those books, and when you start the DVD, you click on which textbook you're using. It's a very good deal, considering you get both Alg I & II for $30 or so!

The ISBNs for the DVDs are:

ISBN-10: 0618753966

ISBN-13: 978-0618753963

The DVDs correlate to the separate texts and are being sold for those courses as well, but if you want to use the "combined" textbook, here are the ISBNs for that:

Text 4th ed: 0168388362 / 9780618388363

Solutions manual: 0618388389 / 9780618388387

I managed to find the text and solutions manual for about $35 (for both) but you might have to hunt around for a good deal. Even if someone ended up paying up to $70 for the text and solutions guide, that's still $100 total for the full package of Chalkdust Alg I & II!

The combined text looks like it moves faster than using the separate textbooks for Elementary & Intermediate (especially Elementary), but it might work well for a student who has had Alg I and wants a good solid review before going into Alg II.

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where can I find the CD traditional geometry dvd's? ISBN-13: 9780618400959 comes up with a hardcover book every time. Is there another ISBN for the dvd's? Know the terms to google it?

Thank you for the help :)

Teresa

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618753966/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

For anyone having trouble finding the older edition Algebra I DVDs, this link (posted earlier by Pongo) is for the set of 13 DVDs that includes both Alg I & II. You can use the separate Larson books for Alg I & II, or you can use the "combined course" text that covers both. The guide that comes with the DVDs lists which lessons correlate with the lessons in each of those books, and when you start the DVD, you click on which textbook you're using. It's a very good deal, considering you get both Alg I & II for $30 or so!

The ISBNs for the DVDs are:

ISBN-10: 0618753966

ISBN-13: 978-0618753963

The DVDs correlate to the separate texts and are being sold for those courses as well, but if you want to use the "combined" textbook, here are the ISBNs for that:

Text 4th ed: 0168388362 / 9780618388363

Solutions manual: 0618388389 / 9780618388387

I managed to find the text and solutions manual for about $35 (for both) but you might have to hunt around for a good deal. Even if someone ended up paying up to $70 for the text and solutions guide, that's still $100 total for the full package of Chalkdust Alg I & II!

The combined text looks like it moves faster than using the separate textbooks for Elementary & Intermediate (especially Elementary), but it might work well for a student who has had Alg I and wants a good solid review before going into Alg II.

Jackie

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I bought them for $34. They were brand new in shrink wrap. On the menu you see "Produced by Chalkdust";)

I also ordered the Combined text and it was in like-new shape.

I just want folks to know that for some reason the DVD's won't play on my new Sony HDMI dvd player or my old laptop with Windows Media Player. I'm watching them on an older/cheap dvd player (Apex brand) and they are working fine. I think I may need to use a different software or update my Windows Media Player to play them on my computer. I can't find my owner's manual for the new dvd player, but it may just be a matter of making some setting changes. I just wanted to let people know that they may run into a this problem, and there are some options to fix it.

Thanks again for the link - I was nervous because it wasn't obvious that it was what I was looking for. But it turned out great.

K

• 2 weeks later...

I think I jumped the gun, having not seen Chalkdust, but hearing so many good things about it. :ack2:

We have checked it out and honestly my DD is NOT ready for this. I know, keep it until she is, but I really cannot afford to, so I am going to sell my set. For anyone who is interested it is the Algebra 1 set 4th edition with the 13 DVD's that cover both Alg. 1 and 2.

Here are the ISBN's:

Text: 9780618388172 (you can choose this text or the other on the opening DVD screen, as we did load it and look)

DVD's: 9780618753963

Solutions Manual: 97806183388196 (This also matches up- I checked)

These are all in excellent condition. I will post the actual "for sale" on the sale and swap board, but if any are interested it is over there and I am only charging what I paid for it.

Thanks,

Laurie

• 1 month later...
Has anyone been able to find the PreAlgebra Teachers Edition lately? I was thrilled to find this old post, most of the links still work! It's just the TE I am having trouble finding.

Are you referring to the complete solutions manual? If so, I believe the ISBN given was either incorrect or changed. I wasn't able to find it using the ISBN provided in this post, but I used the one given at the Cengage website and was able to locate it for about $13 I believe. I can check to see what ISBN I used if this is what you are looking for.

Has anyone been able to find the PreAlgebra Teachers Edition lately? I was thrilled to find this old post, most of the links still work! It's just the TE I am having trouble finding.

Try this ISBN: 0618372644.

I got mine here [if the complete solutions manual is indeed what you are referring to].

That said...I think Chalkdust is buying up the DVDs:glare:

I know this is an old post, but maybe this is the answer:

Internet Warning:

The Internet is full of pirates selling fake Chalk Dust DVDs. Beware of any entity or person who is selling multiple single Chalk Dust programs (i.e. like 6 copies of Algebra 1 DVDs), who has ripped off sreaming video and quotes content from the Chalk Dust Company website (including Dana's picture with his deceased dog). What else is this person pirating? Also, anyone claiming to represent Chalk Dust in a sales transaction whose phone is not 281-265-2495, 800-588-7564, 281-265-1785, 281-265-3197 (fax) is not telling you the truth. If anything is too good to be true, it is.

From Chalkdust FAQs. Perhaps it's harder to find the DVDs because they aren't legal.

From Chalkdust FAQs. Perhaps it's harder to find the DVDs because they aren't legal.

The ones discussed here are legal. They are marketed and purchased under the publisher's name rather than Chalkdust. Chalkdust produced the DVD's for the publisher but retains the rights to sell them independently under their own name, from everything I have researched about it. They just happen to be much cheaper under the publisher. Similar to Mammoth Math, her workbooks were created for a publisher but the writer retains the rights to sell them independently. The writer there actually mentions this on her website and sells her product for a very reasonable price. That is not the case with Chalkdust, their markup is huge.

Someone feel free to correct me if my research is wrong.

The ones discussed here are legal. They are marketed and purchased under the publisher's name rather than Chalkdust. Chalkdust produced the DVD's for the publisher but retains the rights to sell them independently under their own name, from everything I have researched about it. They just happen to be much cheaper under the publisher. Similar to Mammoth Math, her workbooks were created for a publisher but the writer retains the rights to sell them independently. The writer there actually mentions this on her website and sells her product for a very reasonable price. That is not the case with Chalkdust, their markup is huge.

Someone feel free to correct me if my research is wrong.

Your right. Dana Mosley had originally done the math video for HM, then, probably because he saw the popularity, CD was formed. The CD's as well as the books are identical, only the packaging has changed.

From the website:

Chalk Dust Company

History

In 1989 Dana Mosely was selected as the video instructor in mathematics for the College Division of publisher D.C. Heath and Company. At the time Dana was teaching at Valencia Community College in Orlando, Florida. The relationship with D.C. Heath involved contracts to produce video programs corresponding with college level mathematics textbooks.

Over the next several years many programs were completed and some of them were designed to remediate students in preparation for College Algebra and other college math subjects. The content of those courses corresponds almost exactly with the content of high school courses so the idea to re-purpose the lower level college video programs and couple them with related textbooks and solutions guides for homeschoolers emerged and permissions were acquired to go forward with the idea.

Chalk Dust Company was incorporated in 1994 for the purpose of offering high quality mathematics instruction on videotape to homeschooled students and a variety of other users. The first course offered was Algebra II. Additional courses were added over the next several years and the most recent was Calculus I which joined the product mix in 2000.

Edited by Pongo

I received the DVD's in Sep & they do not look at all like pirated copies. They're from the publisher, shrink-wrapped and everything, the dvd's are glossily printed etc. I can't see anyone going out of their way to pirate algebra courses. It's not like they're Hollywood blockbusters.....

Like someone else mentioned, I'm having problems getting them to play on my laptop. They play just fine on the dvd player hooked up to the tv but my laptop (a 2 yo Dell with utd Windows MediaPlayer) can't play them. I'm still trying to figure that out.

I have a question though - - I got the combined textbook (used from Amazon marketplace) and dd is getting a bit frustrated that the DVD lessons are quite a bit different than the text. The lesson he presents on the dvd is ostensibly on the same topic but he presents it quite differently from the text, the examples are different etc.

Can someone tell me if the stand alone Intro text is more evenly matched to the dvd lessons? I'll happily buy her the other text if so. She's loving the dvd's but gets frustrated when she does the chapter exercises & they seem different to her than what was talked about in the dvd. (& yes, I checked, she's setting the dvd up right & she's on the right section.)

tia for any insight!

• 4 months later...
I am resurrecting this thread in hopes of confirming that the Precalculus ISBN numbers given by AngieW are for 5th edition precalculus...or are they 3rd edition??? Chalkdust lists both on their web site, and my internet searches for the lower cost alternatives have not turned up results that make it clear WHAT is in the package. Thank you!

I found a ton of them here, although the edition number is not clear , you could email the sellers.:)

I have a question though - - I got the combined textbook (used from Amazon marketplace) and dd is getting a bit frustrated that the DVD lessons are quite a bit different than the text. The lesson he presents on the dvd is ostensibly on the same topic but he presents it quite differently from the text, the examples are different etc.

Can someone tell me if the stand alone Intro text is more evenly matched to the dvd lessons? I'll happily buy her the other text if so. She's loving the dvd's but gets frustrated when she does the chapter exercises & they seem different to her than what was talked about in the dvd. (& yes, I checked, she's setting the dvd up right & she's on the right section.)

DS and I have the same problem. The CDs and the book are similar but just different enough to make it a frustrating experience. I have the book that is shown in the intro. to the CDs (Elem. Algebra)

I am relieved to read that you are having a similar experience. Not because I want you to be frustrated but I was thinking DS and I were doing something wrong or maybe we weren't mathy enough for Chalkdust.

DS and I have the same problem. The CDs and the book are similar but just different enough to make it a frustrating experience. I have the book that is shown in the intro. to the CDs (Elem. Algebra)

I am relieved to read that you are having a similar experience. Not because I want you to be frustrated but I was thinking DS and I were doing something wrong or maybe we weren't mathy enough for Chalkdust.

The Chalkdust site states that the DVD instruction is comprehensive and the text is to be used for problem sets and as a reference only.

http://www.chalkdust.com/howto.html

With this in mind, I review the lesson and highlight illustrations/examples that mesh with Mosely's.

We've only been through one section and so far we are enjoying it.

Hth,

K

The Chalkdust site states that the DVD instruction is comprehensive and the text is to be used for problem sets and as a reference only.

http://www.chalkdust.com/howto.html

With this in mind' date=' I review the lesson and highlight illustrations/examples that mesh with Mosely's.

We've only been through one section and so far we are enjoying it.

Hth,

K[/quote']

Thank you for the link. I will do a little more planning before we begin the next chapter on Monday.

Michelle, what edition are these precalculus ISBN's?

These are for the 5th edition

Printed on the discs:

Precalculus with Limits

A Graphing Approach 5e

Please note that I do not think that they are an exact match of the dvd set that Chalkdust is selling now. The latest Chalkdust set is 18(?) discs.

If you would like the isbn of the student book my dd is using, I can get it from her later today.

I am resurrecting this thread in hopes of confirming that the Precalculus ISBN numbers given by AngieW are for 5th edition precalculus...or are they 3rd edition??? Chalkdust lists both on their web site, and my internet searches for the lower cost alternatives have not turned up results that make it clear WHAT is in the package. Thank you!

I'm so glad that I stumbled on this thread--hopefully I can save you some time. I bought my 4th edition precalculs materials last year, pulling them together from Amazon sellers. I was able to put the set together after finding the publisher's site, which has just a wealth of information, including those all-important ISBNs!

Here are the steps I took [a list of my set's ISBNs follows]:

1. First, to the Chalk Dust site, to see what Larson book it uses:

http://www.chalkdust.com/precal.html

2. Then, to the publisherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s site, to find the book and all ISBNs. I had to search a bit, but hit the mother lode:

On the publisherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s search page I entered Ă¢â‚¬Å“precalculus with limitsĂ¢â‚¬ and got a whole list of editions (youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have to enter it; the link just keeps refreshing to the search page):

http://www.cengage.com/cengage/search/totalresults.do

Chose an edition and click on the Faculty Ă¢â‚¬Å“About this ProductĂ¢â‚¬ (weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re using the 4thĂ¢â‚¬â€œsee below). Here youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll find the book ISBN, table of contents, information about the authors, etc.

At the left side of the Faculty Ă¢â‚¬Å“About this ProductĂ¢â‚¬ page, click on Supplements.

Voila! The ISBNs for all supplements, including the Study and Solutions Guide AND the DVD program that goes with the book (Chalk Dust lectures).

The textbook and Study and Solutions guide are obvious.

The DVD just says Ă¢â‚¬Å“DVD.Ă¢â‚¬ Hmm. I found the two-part DVD set (8 DVDs in the first part, 3 DVDs in the second part) on Amazon (university library discard) for around $10 . . . I took a gamble and . . . they are the lectures, produced by Chalk Dust for Houghton Mifflin.

The covers of the DVD set (2 parts) says: The Houghton Mifflin Mathematics Instructional DVD Series. MathSpace TM.

3. Chalk Dust was selling the 3rd edition (now also the 5th), so I took some time and, using the publisher ISBNĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s looked on Amazon for 3rd edition and later materials. I chose the best grouping available, considering condition and price.

Our ISBNĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s:

1. Precalculus with Limits: A graphing Approach, Larson et al. (4th ed., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005). ISBN 0-618-39478-8

2. Study and Solutions Guide for Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach; and Precalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach 4th ed. , Edwards (4th ed., Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005), ISBN 0-618-39481-8

3. Two part DVD program for use with Precalculus Functions and Graphs: A Graphing Approach; and Precalculus with Limits: A graphing Approach 4th ed. (Houghton Mifflin, 2005).

ISBN 0-618-39487-7

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ccraig

I'm new to this group, I have 2 boys. My oldest will be finishing the 6th grade Abeka math, and I'm trying to figure out which CD book to begin with next fall. It looks like either the Prealgebra or the Basic Math.

Can anyone comment on this?

Have you switched from Abeka, to CD? Was it a good transition?

Thanks to all who have researched this so much!!

Cully

:D

Well, fwiw, we've just been plodding along with it & it's been ok. It's actually been interesting to explain to dd that this is what it's often like in university - the instructor will assign pre-class reading and then you'll attend the lecture and it might be a bit different. That's just how it is.

BTW, we're trying to use some of the tips from Teaching Company's How to be a Superstar Student and one of them was to read & make notes on the section prior to attending the lecture, & then (he has a special note taking technique) add to those pre-reading notes the info you get in class. Any info that is BOTH in the pre-reading and in the lecture deserves special attention as it's likely core info and to show up on an exam.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ccraig

I'm still trying to make sense of how to order these DVD's online, haven't had much luck searching. Does anyone have the ISBN numbers for the Basic Math dvd set, or the pre-algebra dvd set? I did order the algebra 1 dvd (978-0618753963) but the set came, with only 8 of the 13 discs.

Please help if you can!

Thanks and have a great afternoon!

Cully

I think the 13-disc set for Algebra 1 is for the combined course (Algebra 1 and 2) so you may be fine.

It does seem to be hard to find the non-branded sets. I think a lot of hs-ing parents bought them up. You may have better luck in the summer when people are done with them.

The Basic Math/Pre-Alg ISBN's are in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73803

look at post #18

I believe I read in one of these threads that Alg1 is hard to find as it was discontinued & is now offered as the combined 1 & 2 course. Those are the DVD's I got & we're using them with the 4th edition combined Elementary/Intermediate text. I got the text & TM used from amazon. The dvd's I got through a reseller on amazon - they came cello sealed, brand new condition. I purchased around oct/nov last year.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if the Chalkdust Algebra 1 solutions manual, which I think is a 3rd edition, would work with the HM Elementary Algebra tex, which I think is the 2nd edition? I may have gotten the editions backwards, but I know that one is 2nd and the other 3rd.

I bought the HM dvd's (set of 13) for Elementary/Intermediate algebra. Although they work, they are choppy. I hope they are not pirated. They came in the blue cardboard binder folder with the HM name on both the binder and the cds. Anyone have this experience before?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Susan