Menu

Book series suggestion for a 12yo girl?

We are Christian so Harry Potter is out (not to start a debate about HP or anything...just our personal preference :)). She just got finished reading the Faithgirlz series called Sophie. It doesn't have to be a "Christian" series. She's already read all 13 of the Series of Unfortunate Events. She likes mystery and adventure, historical fiction (like the Dear America series). This is for pleasure so it can be a bit "below" her level. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here are some that my girls have enjoyed since you aren't really concerned about the levels:

Winnie the Horse Gentler series by Dandi Mackall

The Story Girl series by L.M. Montgomery

The Door Within Triology by Wayne Thomas Batson

Sisters in Time series by various authors

Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene

The Borrowers series by Mary Norton (read these aloud)

The Moody Family series by Sarah Maxwell

There is a new mystery series out called The 39 Clues Series. Each book is written by a different author but features the same brother and sister detective team. My youngest daughter is reading the third book in the series and says the books remind her of the Lemony Snickett books. The brother and sister in the series are orphans and there are a lot of eccentric characters.

Also for adventure, try the Redwall series by Brian Jaques. Our series is falling apart because the kids have read these books over and over.

Blesssings

Zoraida

My kids are loving this series. It is about 2 sisters, great great grand daughters of the Grimm fairy tale guy and they solve mysteries involving the fairy tale characters, so they run into Jack and the Beanstalk, Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, etc. They are fun-- about 5th grade reading level.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Time at the Top and its sequel by Edward Ormandroyd (sp?)

The Westing Game

The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Books by Blue Balliet

Books by Carol Ryrie Brink

Boooks by Jean Fritz

Books about Henry Reed by Keith Robertson

I wouldn't think a 12 year old is too old for The All of a Kind Family series. My mother read these to me when I was about 9 or 10, and I read them to my children around the same age. They are about about a conservative Jewish family in NY at the turn of the (last) century.

I also wonder about the Artemis Fowl series. It's magical, but does not have the same impact as Harry Potter...it's about the fairy realm (author is Irish) and not about good/evil. Artemis is a genuis, and sometimes an evil one...(with a heart). He has parents, but his mother is sick and out of commison and his father has been kidnapped. So, he's not actually disobeying...It's clever and fun, imo.

My dds also enjoyed The Dragon Chronicles. (trilogy) I haven't read all of these...but a strong, loving girl, grateful for the dragon milk that once saved her life, sets out to save dragons...she can communicate with them...is that like Harry Potter? lol My dds really enjoyed this series...

In the dragon venue, I really enjoyed reading Dragon Slippers and Dragon Flight to my dd. These are newish, and quite fun.

Maybe I am not good at this...lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Sue,

You might try these http://www.lifeoffaith.com/category_15_Books.html. The children's director at my church is a homeschooler and her 13 year old daughter has read through these many times and LOVES them. She recommended that I start with Millie for my 8 year old because of heavy topic matter that Elsie deals with in her book. I haven't ready any of them yet, but I completely trust the lady who recommended them. There are apparently dolls and everything a la American Girl.

Hope this gives you another good option.

My kids are loving this series. It is about 2 sisters, great great grand daughters of the Grimm fairy tale guy and they solve mysteries involving the fairy tale characters, so they run into Jack and the Beanstalk, Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, etc. They are fun-- about 5th grade reading level.

My 9 yr old loved these! She pulled out our very traditional (read creepy) Grimm Brothers heavy tome so she could get all of the references.

I wonder if your dd might like the Gilda Joyce, Psychic Investigator, as well? The reading level is less than most 12 yr olds would appreciate, I think, but a younger child might enjoy them. I would put Spiderwick Chronicles in this same category.

I want to put in a plug for the Nim's Island books for the 8-11 or so set. We have not seen the movie, but the books are on our fav list. Maybe older kids would like them as well. I am in my 40's, afterall. :) In fact, I would recommend Wendy Orr's other books. Sweet, sweet stuff. A newly reading child would probably be enchanted by Ark in the Park, for one.

Edited by LibraryLover

Awesome suggestions! Thank you so much. We went to the library and she decided to start on The Borrowers series (since her LLATL had some dictation selections from that book) and some Nancy Drew. I'll make a list of the others. I need to stick with what our library system has right now since finances are tight. She does enjoy the Elsie Dinsmore books (she has a few) and other Life of Faith books. But, I can't afford anymore right now! Perhaps for Easter.

We are Christian so Harry Potter is out (not to start a debate about HP or anything...just our personal preference :)). She just got finished reading the Faithgirlz series called Sophie. It doesn't have to be a "Christian" series. She's already read all 13 of the Series of Unfortunate Events. She likes mystery and adventure, historical fiction (like the Dear America series). This is for pleasure so it can be a bit "below" her level. Any suggestions? Thanks!

well, not to start a debate about HP or anything, but.....

We are Christian so Harry Potter is in. :)

Christian symbolism throughout the series.

I just wanted to give Yet Another Thread a heads up that blanket statements aren't really conducive to getting your point across, especially when they do nothing to establish your premise. ;)

and here's another plug for Artemis Fowl, Dragon Chronicles, and Wrinkle in Time / L'engle books. My late-into-reading 11.5yos is liking these.

i agree w/ LaurieNE -- the artemis series doesn't have so much a good vs evil boundary, which almost makes it more questionable than HP from some perspectives.

snip

and here's another plug for Artemis Fowl, Dragon Chronicles, and Wrinkle in Time / L'engle books. My late-into-reading 11.5yos is liking these.

i agree w/ LaurieNE -- the artemis series doesn't have so much a good vs evil boundary, which almost makes it more questionable than HP from some perspectives.

Yk, you're right. Artemis' world often seems very gray, area-wise.

I am, however, hopeless. I love Eoin Colfer. Whenever I read anything by him, I wish he'd been my 7th grade English teacher. lol

http://www.eoincolfer.com/

Edited by LibraryLover

Sue,

These are WONDERFUL retellings of major Biblical stories...in a different time and place. They really make you look at the traditional stories from a different angle. I loved them, and my 11 dd did too.

They are written by Paul McCusker...the same guy who writes Adv in Odyssey.

My library has them...I hope you can find them, too!