Menu

How far will you go in Latin?

WTMindy

I am thinking ahead about Latin and wondering how will I know when we are "done." In Spanish, they will be done when they can communicate fluently with other Spanish speakers.

How much Latin do you want your kids to be able to do? Just curious.

Well I'd *like* to say till they can read Virgil, i.e. great works in the original language. Highlands Latin School/Memoria Press or LCC is my goal scope and sequence, but I'd at least like to get a couple years of high school level Latin done.

I plan for the kids to continue Latin throughout their high school years. DD starts high school this fall and will start with Henle I...she'll finish LCII this summer. I would like her to be able to read Virgil in Latin, but I don't know if she'll be able to do so.

DS starts 6th grade this fall and will be in either LCII or Henle I...depends on how much Latin he does this summer ;). So he should be able to read Virgil in Latin while in high school.

This is a really good question. Truthfully, I hadn't thought about it much before, as I never saw that we'd be finished with Latina Christiana II in my lifetime (lol). But here we are, and it is in the horizon (sometime this fall we'll be done). I guess for us, it's just to keep plugging away to the next level.

On the other hand, I have been thinking this morning about the importance of having a goal...of beginning with the end in mind. I'm still waiting for my new copy of LCC to be delivered. The farther we go, the more I like that approach.

So I don't really have an answer to this question of how far we will go in Latin...and I'm wondering why I'm having a hard time answering it.

so they can read original texts. I also have this goal for myself. At this moment I can fluently read some books of the Bible, and others are more of a struggle. We'll probably start a modern language too in High School at some point and keep on with our Latin. I'm in it for the long haul with my kids though. My son enters high school next year, but will still need more Latin. We did the National Latin Exam for first year Latin this year with him, and hope to continue to progress each year through the tests.

:auto:

there levels D, E, and F are out or coming (they aren't called LfC at those levels, but I can't remember what they are called), so we will at least do that. By the time that is done, they are supposed to be ready for the National Latin Exam. I am hoping some of my kids will do this. After that, I don't know. I am thinking that in high school, they may take on another language, but if they want to keep going, I am not going to stop them.

Ds1 took 2 years of high school Latin after doing some Henle at home. Though he expressed a wee bit of regret a few weeks ago about not continuing on, we did not feel there was *room* for a difficult Latin course in 10th grade, given his upper level math and science courses, the rest of his academic load, his volunteer work, jv basketball and some work!

Dd and ds2 are on schedule to at least go through Latin III. Here's hoping they choose another year after that. ;)

Lisa

I guess I'm different. My dc are still small, so we haven't started Latin yet. But I plan to get them to Latin I only during 5-7th grade, or 6-8th grade.

I don't aim for reading original work in Latin, but only want the other benefit of Latin, aka:

- raising SAT score

- vocab

-grammar

-logic thinking.

- attention to detail.

But of course, this can change if my dc turns out to love LAtin and want to continue. Otherwise, Latin I is when we're going to stop.

Guest leigh37

My dd took latin 1 & 2 (high school courses) in 7th and 8th. She took a year off and then to be honest after having 2 babies in two years it was too much to continue for us. She did very well and it has definitely improved her vocabulary, which was really my goal. She might continue again in another year, but for now, she's taking Spanish.

I'd like them to get to the stage where they are reading original texts reasonably fluently. After they've done a bit of that, it will be up to them whether they continue. The end point for us is a UK exam called Latin GCSE, which is roughly SAT II subject test level. They can continue after that if they want to.

Laura

with Spanish as a modern foreign language.

I plan to provide them with a foundation in Spanish while they are young, and outsource this subject to someone more fluent than I am when they are older.

My goal is for them to know enough Biblical Hebrew to chant from an unpointed Torah scroll (the text in a Torah scroll contains no vowels) and enough Koine Greek to read the New Testament.

If I survive that, I think we will do very well to simply learn enough Latin to boost their SAT scores :tongue_smilie: I say that somewhat tongue in cheek; we will study Latin primarily to increase the breadth and depth of their understanding of the English language.

And if anyone reading this has suggestions for the best way to go about this I'm all :bigear: We're using PL right now; 1 lesson EOW orally.

PS. WTMindy, I responded to your guitar post the other day as well :)