Menu

How do I price myself for tutoring?

Can you advise me on the going rate for tutors in your area? I want to tutor to help the finances since dh's job is so uncertain--he works for a newspaper. I cannot seem to find any ads for anyone else here, so I can't figure out how much to charge per hour.

Thanks so much for your help!

I think it probably depends on what/what age you're interested in tutoring and what your qualifications are. My husband is a high school math teacher, and he gets $40/hr...pretty much all of his students find his name on a list the school district maintains. He sometimes works for a private tutoring business, and I know they charge less for middle school and elementary school than for high school.

The woman up in Illinois who does our Spanish class Charges $50 an hour. I pay half with another family so it is a class of 4 children. She taught Spanish in the local High School and has her Masters.

Down here in Florida I was paying $30 an hour for a native Spanish speaker from Peru. He was OK but I wasn't thrilled. On the advice of a friend my boys are meeting for the first time with a woman from Ecuador. She is a recent immigrant and was a music and art teacher down there. She is coming to our apartment and so far I'm loving her. I'm paying her $40 for 2 hours.

I'm an experienced/certified teacher.

My rates for tutoring have barely changed the past 25 years!

I charge PS students $20 per hour (up to Algebra 2)--any higher and the price goes WAY up.

Since I rather tutor during the day-- I prefer homeschool students. Most homeschool families I know cannot afford $40 per hour! Unless it was a one-time thing.

I charge $10-15 per hour depending on if I am in charge of the teaching or if I am just 'tutoring' using their curriculum.

My 'small group' rates for a class of 4 students for Geometry would be $25 per month each...so I would get $25 per hour...

I tutor mostly online--so that saves time and money (no transportation worries).

I'm sure I could find pocket areas where I could 'get' $40 per hour--but I'd have to drive at least an hour each way!

I really rather have a relationship with my students--if I charged more I'd be a revolving door (rarely working with the same student more than once or twice).

I struggle with this. Not as a tutor but as a parent who's child needs one and I can't afford to get her the tutoring help she needs because it's so expensive ($40 an hour here). I wish there were people out there who want to do it to help the child rather than make money. I know that sounds rude but truly, $40 an hour to help a child learn? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't expect to pay for the service but I think the prices around here (and some mentioned in this thread) are a bit much.

I struggle with this. Not as a tutor but as a parent who's child needs one and I can't afford to get her the tutoring help she needs because it's so expensive ($40 an hour here). I wish there were people out there who want to do it to help the child rather than make money. I know that sounds rude but truly, $40 an hour to help a child learn? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't expect to pay for the service but I think the prices around here (and some mentioned in this thread) are a bit much.

I charge $40 and up for tutoring. I have an M.S. and am A.B.D. in my field. Certified teachers around here charge $60 an hour for tutoring in the summer.

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to say is that I am charged a firm rate by people who provide services to me and I don't always want to pay their rate. I pay the furnace repairman $75 + parts to fix my furnace. The job only took 30 minutes. We had a cat put to sleep yesterday and it took the vet 5 minutes to do it and it was $90. My car repair shop charges $75 an hour for work. When I tutor, I am providing a service just like the people who do services for me and I expect to be compensated for it.

I charge $35 per hour (PhD in math and tons of experience teaching all levels from high school through college).

My 17yo daughter charges $15 per hour (very effective and patient and has perfect math ACT score).

We're in a fairly well-off suburban area, and we're both on the low side of what tutors here generally charge. We have no problem finding jobs. If someone is truly in need, then, yes, we gladly help for free :001_smile:.

So, LMA, what makes you a better tutor (at $40 and up per hour) than Kathy in Richmond's daughter (at $15 an hour). That is exactly what I'm talking about. I really don't think that degrees really matter as long as the child/adult is learning from the tutor. So just because a person has a degree means that they can charge, and expect to get more, than a person who might be excellent in math, and be a teenager? Sorry, but I still think $40 (and up) an hour is alot.

I certainly understand how it difficult it is to pay for extra classes and other activities for children. Like I said, my husband is a public school teacher, and we're supporting 5 people on his salary. He's good at what he does, and he works hard, and I don't feel like there's a thing in the world wrong with him charging the going rate in our area for tutoring (and, as someone else mentioned, it's less than someone would charge to come and fix your toilet for you). Now, if someone needed tutoring for their child and couldn't afford it, he'd be glad to work out some kind of bartering arrangement. But I have to say that I bristle at the suggestion that my husband, who works every day helping kids learn for far less money than he could be making elsewhere (he left a web programming job for teaching) and then volunteers his free time to run the chess club at his school, chaperone math tournaments, and go in early every single morning to give his students extra help--is ripping people off by charging the market rate for his tutoring services.

maybe I should raise my rates so I can get more clients!:tongue_smilie:

With that aside I really do care for the demographics I reach with my low prices.

I AM a PROFESSIONAL--and I am VERY good at teaching and remediating Math.

I do have one local family that pays me ABOVE my regular rates--but they are NOT hurting for money like most of my clients!

"I" could not afford to pay $40 or $60 an hour for tutoring for my own children!

I charge $40 and up for tutoring. I have an M.S. and am A.B.D. in my field. Certified teachers around here charge $60 an hour for tutoring in the summer.

While I understand where you are coming from, I have to say is that I am charged a firm rate by people who provide services to me and I don't always want to pay their rate. I pay the furnace repairman $75 + parts to fix my furnace. The job only took 30 minutes. We had a cat put to sleep yesterday and it took the vet 5 minutes to do it and it was $90. My car repair shop charges $75 an hour for work. When I tutor, I am providing a service just like the people who do services for me and I expect to be compensated for it.

Yes while it's true that there are fees that are higher/same in other fields. The thing is there is greater overhead and insurance costs with these type of services. There is very little overhead with tutoring.

but it can be charged because people will pay it.

Yes while it's true that there are fees that are higher/same in other fields. The thing is there is greater overhead and insurance costs with these type of services. There is very little overhead with tutoring.

Thank you very much. I wish I had thought of those words because they are exactly what I am thinking.

If you really need the money, you're likely to have more students at a lower rate. Sometimes you can start with one student from a PS class, and he'll tell his friends how much you've helped him, and you may end up with a small group tutorial. In that case, I cut the rate per student, but my hourly earnings actually go up.

Don't forget to keep accurate records for tax purposes!

I charge PS students $20 per hour (up to Algebra 2)--any higher and the price goes WAY up.

----

Since I rather tutor during the day-- I prefer homeschool students. Most homeschool families I know cannot afford $40 per hour! Unless it was a one-time thing.

----

I charge $10-15 per hour depending on if I am in charge of the teaching or if I am just 'tutoring' using their curriculum.

----

I really rather have a relationship with my students--if I charged more I'd be a revolving door (rarely working with the same student more than once or twice).

Incidentally, the salary for a 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year (i.e. no vacation) at $40/hr would be $83,200. That's a great salary, but it's not an outrageous one. Plenty of people with no overhead, people who just take home a paycheck from someone else, make that much (and get benefits worth much more on top of that).

I would suggest that the thinking that because someone is doing something useful and worthy like "helping children learn" s/he should be paid LESS than other people is...a little backwards. Can you tell this is kind of a personal subject for me? :)

Listen, I TOTALLY get how hard it is to afford stuff like this. But I don't think the solution is to tell your friendly neighborhood tutor that s/he has an obligation to take less than the market supports for his or her services. Would you tell your friend who was selling her house that she really ought to price it under market value because a lot of people need a house and can't afford one? This isn't fun money for us; it's an important part of our income. Like I said, if someone couldn't afford it and wanted to propose a barter arrangement, he'd be all over that (he's worked out bartering arrangements of massage therapy for computer programming before, in fact).

Edited by kokotg

so, let me see about this?

If I pay:

- the tile guy, who owns a van and his tools, and zero inventory

- or the plumber, who owns a van and his tools, and a vanful of common inventory, b/c he generally goes to the plumbing supply after he's scoped things out if there is *anything* complicated

at the rate of $50/hr (tile guy) or ($75/hr plumber).

None of the above laborers paid for the education that my son's language therapist paid for, yet she only gets $40/hr.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing *there* about overhead.

A tutor has little overhead: umm, no. A tutor's "overhead" could be their education, their house where they have a room to tutor, their student loans if they had any.

You pay for skill; you pay for education; you pay for experience; you pay for problem-solving skills; you pay for excellence.

Someone who has any of the above can set their rate according to what the market will bear, and scripture puts it rather appropriately, "A skilled workman is worthy of his hire."

I am paying a Math Harvard Grad with Masters only 25.00 an hour. He had a perfect score on the SAT. He was double of the price last year- but with the economy is half this year. I am not paying more than 25.00 for anyone this year. I live in NH and there are bundles of educated/tutor type people here, so maybe it is saturated.