Menu

my dd now hates Abeka math..what to do?

S in Canada

Well we are at lesson 110 in Abeka 3 math and although it has been a good year so far...she is getting very frustrated now.

Where do we go from here? Anyone else had this problem. We are at a real stand still.

I don't know what any other math programs look like so I could use some help choosing.

HELP!!!!

and TIA

We'll we're using CLE.. you can go to their yahoo group to check out samples.

But anyways how about just printing off some worksheets and work on the concept she is having a tough time with for a while and then try going back to it later on.

It might be that she just needs some time to absorb the concept.

I know this happens with my girls from time to time. We just stop, play some games , do some worksheets and then go back to it and they've got it. She just may need a different approach for a little bit.

My kids haven't done well with Abeka math either. My oldest can't stand their lesson pages, and my second burned out mid-year like you're describing. You might consider just dropping it for awhile, or just doing some simple drill pages off the internet for awhile (absolutely oodles of free printables out there). When my kids are banging their head on a wall like that some time off to let it process and settle can work wonders. When we come back to it a month or so later they pick up where they left off with a better understanding.

If you're wanting a change, MCP or R&S would be a low cost way to finish the year up.

Every kids hits walls in every program at some point. Is this an over-all problem with the program or can you just not get past a difficult few lessons? What topic is she struggling with? Can you take a break from the math book and spend a few weeks playing math games and practicing basic facts? Then when you come back to the difficult lessons you get a fresh start.

If you really want a whole new program then it would help to know what you like and what isn't working about Abeka, otherwise it is just a shot in the dark.

:iagree: I don't know if there is a 'never-hit-the-wall' math program out there. Though I do know that for some children math comes very easy to them and they are able to hurdle any wall that comes along. ;) That, I believe, is the exception not the rule.

If Abeka has worked for her up until now, I would take a break and work on whatever concept has her stumped in a different way, and then come back to Abeka and continue on. My sister in law uses Abeka Math and has for all her children. She has graduated two and has one 14 yo and one 11 yo. left at home using it. They all hit walls here and there, but eventually, due to the nature of Abeka and her stopping and working on the concept, are able to continue on. The "Key to..." books were always helpful for her.

Your dd is still young. I say take a break and do some fun math problems together. Get out some manipulatives of some kind and help her 'see' what she is to be doing as well. Popsicle sticks work well. It really depends on what she is struggling with.

I second the recommendation to take a break and play games, RS has a good set for all kinds of functions, and you can continue with it even after you've gotten over the hump. Games for Math by Peggy Kaye is good, and I have heard good things about Family Math, as well.

If going back to Abeka is not going to happen and you need something cheap to get through the year, you might look at Math Mammoth. You can buy workbooks by topic so you can just purchase the ones you need.

We are using Abeka this year and will be switching to CLE next year. If you are looking for a curriculum switch, I recommend looking at CLE. As a pp mentioned, you can find samples on their yahoo group.

One thing for us, though, was to make sure the math facts are learned. If that's what has you at a stand still, taking time to review those should get things going again. I use superkids.com to print off worksheets for extra drill practice.

We are using Abeka 3 this year. DD is on Lesson 114, so we are at about the same spot. I'm not sure what problem you are having but I'll help if I can.

It could be that your DC does not like to do so many practice problems. Mine doesn't either. She hates them. I don't require them. She does the speed drill everyday. Then, I make sure she does everything related to newer lessons. Then I cross of MOST of the other problems. She does one of each kind most of the time. It is practice but not so much that she gets BORED, which for her, is the kiss of death. If she gets all her practice problems right, she's done. If she has a bunch of lazy mistakes, she has to do the rest of the page. This pretty much never happens but it is the rule so as to prevent carelessness. Also, she knows her math facts, but if your DC doesn't, she should be practicing them daily till she does. An online flashcard program is a fun way to do it and it's free.

After this quick 20 minutes with the ABeka material, I could say math is done, but I have her do Key To books to keep her interest. She LOVES them. They are inexpensive and really nail down certain key concepts. Plus, it gives her something NEW to think about which is really important for her. She has finished Key to Fractions 1 and is almost done with Key to Decimals 1. She doesn 2 pages / day in less then 15 minutes. They are self explainatory and easy.

As far as the Abeka material, is there some lesson specifically that your DC is stuck on? I really think the Abeka material is excellent, you just have to tailor it for YOUR child and not get stuck on following the teacher's manual word for word, day for day. If I did the Abeka teacher's manual exactly as described every day, my daughter would run away from home!:D But I do gleen from what is suggested and present what SHE needs and it works great. I can't see spending more money on a new curriculum for the rest of this year if you can just tweak Abeka and finish out the year with it.

Hope this helps.

ps. We are doing Saxon next year.

Edited by katemary63

A friend of mine uses Abeka exclusively, and her daughter was having trouble with some of her facts, and she was at a stand still also. I suggested purchasing some manipulatives and using them for a while. She purchased some standard connecting blocks, and used them for a little while, then the facts were quickly memorized, and she didn't need to use them anymore. It helped her get over that hump. If there are any manipulatives you can make or buy to help your dc over this hump, maybe that will help.

We are only on lesson 80 in Abeka grade 3 and I am going to switch to Singapore math after we finish up with Abeka... if we make it that long. I have researched math programs for 2 years now and Singapore really sounds like a wonderful program. I am starting from the beginning with Singapore and have already purchased levels 1 and 2. It'll be a welcome break for my son to be able to do these easier levels through the summer and then we'll hopefully pick up with SM 3 this next winter.

Abeka is a good program... it just isnt for me or my son.

We're doing A Beka Kindergarten Math, and while I wouldn't say we've hit a wall, I know we aren't ready to move on yet. So, we take time off - do review work, do manipulatives, I've got pattern blocks and a work book with that, play Candyland (for colors). I'm not sure what your content area is in 3rd grade, but are there projects you can do to reinforce? Such as doubling recipes for fractions, or something like that? When I was teaching school, we were always in the doldrums at this time of year, so I'd take off and do a mini-unit on something totally different.

I would supplement with something else and keep plugging along at this point. If you switch, of course she'll love the new curriculum--for a while. Unfortunately, the same frustrating concepts are going to still need to be learned even with a different book. In Abeka, there's 170 lessons right? There is a LOT to do. Maybe drill facts for a while and let her play some math games etc.

Oh and have any of you seen Evan-Moor's Take it to Your Seat math centers? That's what we're up to here this week. They are designed to practice and review concepts and are a MOST welcome change of pace at this "I want something NEW" time of the year. http://www.evan-moor.com/centers

We are using Abeka 3 this year. DD is on Lesson 114, so we are at about the same spot. I'm not sure what problem you are having but I'll help if I can.

It could be that your DC does not like to do so many practice problems. Mine doesn't either.

We are at 117. I never have made dd8 do all the work on the pages. Abeka is great at review. Sometimes they are too good. Figure out what she hates the most. Maybe it's the fractions? Some people need some extra love when it comes to those. One thing that I have learned is that slowing down doesn't mean that your child is going to fail! BTW, I don't even do half of what they tell to do. I only review newer things. I always do the board work, but almost never the point to the number chart and add 18 to every number, or the endless flashcards. Once they know what a mile is, stop reviewing everyday. Once a week is plenty.

We too are switching to Saxon next year. It has nothing to do with actual program. We just can't afford to homeschool 4 kids on Abeka! Jen

It could be that your DC does not like to do so many practice problems. Mine doesn't either.

We are at 117. I never have made dd8 do all the work on the pages. Abeka is great at review. Sometimes they are too good. Figure out what she hates the most. Maybe it's the fractions? Some people need some extra love when it comes to those. One thing that I have learned is that slowing down doesn't mean that your child is going to fail! BTW, I don't even do half of what they tell to do. I only review newer things. I always do the board work, but almost never the point to the number chart and add 18 to every number, or the endless flashcards. Once they know what a mile is, stop reviewing everyday. Once a week is plenty.

:iagree:

:iagree: I don't know if there is a 'never-hit-the-wall' math program out there. Though I do know that for some children math comes very easy to them and they are able to hurdle any wall that comes along. ;) That, I believe, is the exception not the rule.

If Abeka has worked for her up until now, I would take a break and work on whatever concept has her stumped in a different way, and then come back to Abeka and continue on. My sister in law uses Abeka Math and has for all her children. She has graduated two and has one 14 yo and one 11 yo. left at home using it. They all hit walls here and there, but eventually, due to the nature of Abeka and her stopping and working on the concept, are able to continue on. The "Key to..." books were always helpful for her.

Your dd is still young. I say take a break and do some fun math problems together. Get out some manipulatives of some kind and help her 'see' what she is to be doing as well. Popsicle sticks work well. It really depends on what she is struggling with.

:iagree: I have used Abeka from 1st through 6th and recall 3rd being a tough year. That is when I started not assigning all the problems. And I supplemented with math games and word problem books. Also started using computer games like timez attack and quarter-mile math.

I am so glad I have used Abeka math. My dds have a solid math background and are very confident in math. If Abeka has been a good fit until now, I would reduce the number of problems and keep plugging along.

just my $.02

If you really don't like A Beka and want to try something new, buy it now and try it for the rest of the year. I did that with Singapore one year and we hated it:D. But, I was glad for the change and it didn't affect our school year. We didn't feel "behind" because it felt more like an enrichment program. I would also recommend buying the current grade you're in, not the next grade up. So, to use Singapore as an example, my dd was in 1st, so I bought 1A and 1B. It gave us a chance to really know their teaching style and whether we would like using it. We didn't, but it was fun for my dd to try something new.

I agree that every math problem has a wall. I also think it's the time of year. One of the things that I remind myself is, NO public school teacher does EVERY math lesson in their math book. My sister is a Math teacher and around this time of year, she has to evaluate what is left, what the next grade teacher wants the kids to come in knowing, and what she can accomplish in less than 8 weeks. I say less than 8 weeks because after spring break, they have state testing, and federal testing. Then, throw in all the "fun days" that come with the end of the year, and finals, you get MAYBE a month of instruction days between April 1st and the end of the year (their school year ends last week of May).

All this helps me to understand where my daughter is Math wise. When using programs like A Beka (written for classroom use) We have learned everything she needs to absolutely KNOW by this time of year. Everything she covers from here on out is an introduction for next year. With that in mind, I will skip problems, play games, and generally review instead of push forward.

Blessings!

Dorinda