Menu

What happens after FLL4?

We move to R&S after FLL now. I was scared of R&S for my oldest, it was just FLL 1/2 available then. We hopped around to a couple other options, not liking any of them. When I finally ordered R&S for him I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. :tongue_smilie: The next kiddo will hop straight over when FLL is done.

It would be great to have a secular option.

Growing with Grammar is secular. It goes up to 6th grade right now, with more levels planned. We switched to Growing with Grammar after FLL 3 (partly because FLL 4 wasn't out yet, and partly because we just wanted a change).

We move to R&S after FLL now. I was scared of R&S for my oldest, it was just FLL 1/2 available then. We hopped around to a couple other options, not liking any of them. When I finally ordered R&S for him I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. :tongue_smilie: The next kiddo will hop straight over when FLL is done.

What level would you choose? I like R&S math, but have not seen their english yet. Would you just flow into Grade 5 or skip to Grade 6?

My girls find FLL 4 to be very easy.

I don't have FLL 4 yet to compare it to R&S. At this point I plan to go from FLL 4 to R&S 5. Even if the grammar has a lot of review, I wouldn't want to skip the writing. You could race through the grammar sections orally and spend more time on the writing if need be. If you're unsure I'd call R&S and ask for a sample of grade five and six. They send out the best samples at no charge. The sample will give you a good flavor of their English book and a table of contents for the whole book so you can see what's covered.

Did you go to GWG 4th grade after finishing FLL3? If I were to use FLL4, would it make sense to then go with GWG 5th? I'm thinking way ahead, but I am wondering what to use next after FLL.

Hm..maybe that is a dumb question. :001_huh: I'll ask it anyway....:D

Not a dumb question--I asked pretty much the same one before we switched :). We did go right from one to the other, and the level seems about right. A lot of things are review, but there's a lot of new material, too (and I don't have FLL4 to compare to, but I would guess it reviews a lot, too; FLL3 does, anyway). The diagramming is less complex so far (they just have him diagramming simple subject and simple predicate), but then he also has to draw his own lines in GWG, so it's a bit harder in that sense.

They begin making you draw your own lines in FLL 4 too. My girls are finding the diagramming to be easy. In FLL 4, they are diagramming sentences with direct and indirect objects and predicate adjectives and nominatives. We are only halfway through FLL 4. I think they need more of a challenge.

Just throwing out my 2 cents,

I would move into Rod and Staff 5. Yes, there is a lot of reivew, and PLENTY of diagramming. The best part of Rod and Staff, is the writing sections. I don't know if there are other grammar programs out there that does such a great job with writing and grammar all in one book.

Another option would be to jump right into Rod and Staff 6, and find a used copy of Rod and Staff 5 to use for review of the writing instruction.

Hope this helps,

Joyfully,

Mary