Menu

Cheap summer fun? Ideas?

Backyard camping (or even just a tent to play in)...the slip and slide already mentioned...a shovel and a pile of dirt to move...binoculars and nature books, scavenger hunts, picnics, sidewalk chalk, paintbrushes and water to paint the house/garage/car...:D

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to plan something fun for our summer months that involves staying at home and still having a fun summer.

Can you throw out some creative ideas? We have access to a pool, a local lake.

Any ideas very appreciated!

Alicia

Garden hose + dirt or sand = five-year-old fun

Make popsicles. Paint with water. Camp out in the backyard. Catch bugs. Plant a few seeds & water them. Hang up a tire swing - the higher the branch, the bigger the arc of the swing. Learn to sew. Gather twigs and branches for a cookout. Do a little frog work. (That last was from one of my favorite books "A Friend for Frances")

Look in some old cub scout books for more ideas. Those are goldmines. ;)

Does the lake have ducks? My kids love to feed stale bread to the ducks at a nearby pond/lake. Have a picnic lunch first and you can make it a super fun day.

You could also create a "Backyard Olympics" and make up silly games for them to compete in.

If your kids are old enough, give them some scrap wood, hammer and nails and let them build something of their own creation.

By staying at home, do you mean remaining on your own property, or just not going away for a vacation?

If you want to get out once in a while, check your local museums for free days. We in the Pacific Northwest compiled a list last summer, and I imagine the same opportunities are available in or near most large metro areas.

You could plan a week of summer camp at home. We did one a couple of summers ago about Leonardo da Vinci. Some friends came over. Between the other 2 moms & me, we had most of the craft supplies on hand that we could use. So, I'd say pull out all the craft stuff you have & come up w/ a theme for your camp. Or, if you have science kits/activities using common supplies, do a science camp, a cooking camp, etc....

You could also plan some things like touring a fire station, a police station, get a 'behind the scenes' tour of the library, etc....

See if your local library is having any summer programs. They often do summer storytimes, sometimes even pj storytimes in the evenings.

Do a nature scavenger hunt.

See if any local parks have activities. Some near us will do outdoor movie nights in the summer.

Check all your local listings for things like free concerts, interesting shows (gem & mineral shows, ...), etc....