Menu

Which dishwasher to get?

We have an old dishwasher that I use about once a week. The rest of the time, I wash dishes by hand.

Recently, I have decided that I would like to get a new dishwasher that is energy efficient and does a good job of cleaning the dishes. I feel like I am spending so much time washing dishes during the day, and that is cutting into school time. Even though I know our energy bill will go up a bit, I think it will be worth it so I can spend more time doing school with the dc.

Which dishwashers do you recommend?

Thanks.

Whirlpool. The utensil rack hangs on the door so it doesn't take up space on the bottom rack, and here's no spray arm sticking up; you have complete use of the bottom rack for dishes. There isn't a spray arm sticking up through the upper rack, either, so you get full use of that, too. And it's quiet.

I don't know. I'm a little disappointed with new appliances. My $800 Kenmore dish washer is broke already and it is not that old.

My MagTag fridge broke when the compressor died and I had to live without a fridge for 5 weeks while I tried to get it fixed under warranty.

I'd really like a new stove but after reading reviews I've given up on the idea because my 20 year old stove works just fine, it is just old and ugly.

My husband and I now just wash all the dishes my hand after dinner, I wash, he dries and we chat. I use my dish washer as a drying rack during the day when I only have time to wash.

Well, my option is expensive, but I'm *deeply* in love with my new dual-drawer dishwasher. There are several brands available now, but mine is DCS by Fisher and Paykel (FP made the first like this, I believe). Each drawer operates independently. It's very energy efficient (in fact, any new, energy-efficient dish washer should actually *save* you energy and water costs over handwashing! but the drawer dishwashers are *particularly* efficient), and I can wash smaller loads at a time. (An average dishwasher holds about 10 place settings at a time -- each of my drawers holds 6.)

Since they operate independently, I can load one and run it, and while it's running, I can put dishes in the other. It has brought a complete *end* to dishes-on-the-counter.

And it does a beautiful job.

As I said, it wasn't cheap, but I have a couple of friends who have them, and I fell in love. Now I think I would cry if I had to give it up. ;)

I don't know. I'm a little disappointed with new appliances. My $800 Kenmore dish washer is broke already and it is not that old.

My MagTag fridge broke when the compressor died and I had to live without a fridge for 5 weeks while I tried to get it fixed under warranty.

I'd really like a new stove but after reading reviews I've given up on the idea because my 20 year old stove works just fine, it is just old and ugly.

My husband and I now just wash all the dishes my hand after dinner, I wash, he dries and we chat. I use my dish washer as a drying rack during the day when I only have time to wash.

I hear ya. My fancy Kenmore stove died 4 years after we bought it, and the kitchenaid dishwasher is still going but doesn't wash good at all (it started going bad after 5 years). I decided I'm handwashing dishes for awhile. My appliance repairman said expect appliances to last 4-6 years anymore. Sad!

Veronica

When our dishwasher died a year ago, we replaced it with a Kenmore Elite. The Kenmore's been great. It's very quiet.

You can get one month access to the online Consumer Reports, if you want to easily & quickly check out their latest recommendations.

I thought about getting a Bosch, but the ones I looked at had a silverware drawer at the top where you had load each fork, spoon, etc. individually into its own little slot...... It looked too time-consuming for me.

yvonne

I've got a kenmore elite - quiet, steel inside, the racks are adjustable, separate sprayers for top and bottom & a rear sprayer for heavy duty pot cleaning. I think it only takes pennies to run a cycle - the new energy efficient washers are not expensive to run.

As others have mentioned though, they can be expensive to maintain as they seem to break more frequently. Ours is 2 1/2 years old & is doing fine, running at least 1 cycle a day; probably 3/7 days I run it twice a day.

If you want access to consumer reports, often public libraries have purchased an account & if you log in through their interface, you can get access with your library card. Talk to your librarian about it. Mind you, I find that CR is not as useful in Canada as more often than not, the model #'s are different & often the manufacturers are changed (esp. for Kenmore who doesn't actually make any of their products....)

I've always had good experience with Kitchen Aid dishwashers. I've had my current one for four years. It cleans well, without rinsing. Some of the utensil compartments have covers to hold little items. It doesn't melt or warp plastics. It doesn't have funny sprayers sticking out everywhere, so you can really fill it up. Some models have adjustable shelf height. They're quiet (you pay more for extra quiet models).

well, I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher. But I also have a Kenmore elite front load washer and dryer all of which we only bought 2 years ago. The washer is already crapping out. So, honestly, while we've had NO issues with the dishwasher whatsoever, I don't know if I'd recommend Kenmore or not. . . If the dishwashers are as faulty as the washers and as cheaply made. . . hmmm. . . but I guess that is the state of all appliances anymore. ;) LOL.