Menu

What textbooks would you recommend for government and economics?

If you want to go for more of a classical approach, I would use this MODG syllabus and these books

http://motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/syllabus.cfm?id=26 This is what our family uses for 12th grade. If you want something more traditional, than I would recommend this http://motherofdivinegrace.org/curriculum/syllabus.cfm?id=27

I pulled our own government and economics program together with the first two and have used the MODG syllabus with the rest. It's much better than I was doing alone.

We used ABeka Economics. Both of my kids really liked this book.

American Government by Write Source can be used as a semester or a year program. The coarsebook and the teacher's guide has plenty of work--you don't need the activity book. How To Get Into Politics is also optional--my dd enjoyed it, but it is not necessary for the class at all.

Jean

Like many of you, we read/have read many gov. documents in history, and we discuss current events daily.

We began this year with ABeka's government, but neither my ds nor I liked it (at all!). I purchased The Idiots Guide , and I have learned so much! It is engaging and easy to read; plus, I've had no trouble making tests/essay questions.

My son actually enjoys gov now.

Susan

I second Write Source for American Government. The book is set up in the perfect manner to teach outlining and study skills alongside gov't concepts. It also has a section on study skills in the back of the book.

Now, I am also looking for a similar economics text.

Is this by the same people that do the English books? I come up with all kinds of other stuff. I've been using Holt, but find it a bit scattered somehow...

thanks,

Joan