Menu

Making read-alouds interesting

athena1277

I have tried to do some read-alouds with dd this year (K), but I really can't get her interested. We read occasionally from 50 Famous Stories and she is only somewhat interested. We read Ribsy, which I thought she would love, because she loves dogs. We finished it, and she liked it a bit. We recently started reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. She will listen, but really doesn't care about it.

How do I get her interested in a read-aloud chapter book? She likes listening to picture books, but she can read those on her own now.

Anyone else's kids just not care about read-alouds?

My dd wouldn't have found those books interesting at that age, so maybe it's what you're reading? Try getting the read alouds from one of the early level SL cores. When my dd was that age, we LOVED books from SL like:

Follow My Leader

The Light at Tern Rock

Mary on Horseback

Find the core that has those books, and you'll have a winner! Also the FIAR books are good.

I don't think my son would like read-alouds all that much if it weren't for my daughter. My son is NOT an auditory learner in any sense of the word, but he worships his sister, and anything she likes has got to be the greatest thing since not changing your underwear for a week, so if she's all about read-alouds, he'd better be too. ;)

It used to be that he would sit through a chapter book and get to the end still asking me every several pages, "Who is that?" whenever the main character's name was mentioned. But now he's a more experienced listener, and I find that, even when he appears not to be paying attention, he's absorbing things and making connections.

I think that with your dd, it's very probably an age thing. If she's five or just turned six, she may still lack enough mental imagery and facility with language to make read-alouds really exciting. I'd say give it six months or a year, and you'll probably see a change. As long as she tolerates hearing read-alouds, continue to read aloud.

Some of my kids' most favorite read-alouds:

The Cricket in Times Square

Socks

Pippi Longstocking

Ramona books

The Trumpet of the Swan

Kenny and the Dragon

Magic Tree House (I know many people hate these, but they are informative and got my kids into the habit of sitting for read-alouds)

Rabbit Hill (and its sequel, the long winter, and another book by the same author, Edward, Hoppy, and Joe)

My Father's Dragon (not so thrilled with the sequels)

Half Magic

The Saturdays

Ronia, The Robber's Daughter

Misty of Chincoteague

Tara

ETA: I love Beverly Cleary books, but we all found Ribsy to be very boring, so it may just be that book.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

My DS5 has been loving The Thorton Burgess Animal Stories... the adventures of Reddy fox, chatter the red squirrel, ect...

Great 1st read alouds for us... We have also enjoyed Mr. Popper's Penguins, Little House in the Big Woods, Charlotte's Web

"My DS5 has been loving The Thorton Burgess Animal Stories... the adventures of Reddy fox, chatter the red squirrel, ect...

Great 1st read alouds for us... We have also enjoyed Mr. Popper's Penguins, Little House in the Big Woods, Charlotte's We"

We loved all those too. We are reading The Wizard of Oz right now and we are enjoying that one. My son also loves the Boxcar Children and Hank the Cow Dog books too.

It took awhile for my oldest DS to get into chapter books. Some of the ones I managed to hold his attention with when he was that age were the Ramona books (I think the Henry ones are a bit "older"...at least than the early Ramona books), My Father's Dragon, and Charlotte's Web. Anything she's resistant to now (after she's given it a fair chance), I'd put aside and try again later. Nothing terrible will happen if she's not really interested in chapter books until she's 6 (or even if she'd rather wait and read them on her own when she's older). I know my son is very visual, so getting used to books without pictures was a big adjustment for him.

I'd also start with chapter books that have good illustrations - that would make the transition from picture books to chapter books less intimidating. Plus....when the mind wonders then she can look at the picture a bit as you're reading. I did this with my boys who are 2 years apart - the oldest would stay totally tuned in and the youngest would listen then drift to looking at the picture and back to listening again.

Myra

I agree with the others. Try different books. She is young for Alice in Wonderland. Here's a few suggestions you may already be doing:

Be excited about the book. "I wonder what is going to happen to Susie today!"

Read with different voices. I try to choose a unique voice for each character. I use lots of intonation, reading faster when it gets exciting, whispering when appropriate, etc.

Talk to her about what is happening. Try to get her engaged in the characters by asking questions.

Do activities centered around the books. If they bake a cake in the chapter you are reading, bake a cake that day.

You may want to purchase a unit study on a book. Like a Little House unit study.

Find picture books of greater length or chapter books with more pictures.

Maybe she would like more non-fiction read alouds. My 7 year old son just loves NF.

Most of all, don't give up! I truly believe read aloud is one of the most important parts of homeschooling. It builds relationship in a wonderful way.

I have a very active DS and no way he would sit through a read-aloud. Unfortunately, I also have a two years older DD who insists on me reading to her. Ended up, I read to them as long as DS's attention could hold then I acted out the storyline. Or as I read the books, I animate them with actions. That seems to drag his attention a tad longer than he usually would.

Have you tried audio books? My DD will listen to anything, anytime but she especially loves audio books, we only listen to them in the car as we are so far from everywhere it's always 30min plus in the car.

We have also really enjoyed a few of Enid Blytons books i have some illustrated copies from when i was a kid and the illustrations are fab. I don't think all her books are wonderful but we have really enjoyed The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair Again.

Maybe also rather than a chapter book you might find a book of short stories like The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit.

Just my 0.02c

I don't have much to add to all the others responses, but my younger son took a bit longer to be interested in a story he can't see. I would play alot of books on cd in the car, mostly for my older boy, and I never thought about whether my 3 year old, at the time, was listening much until he started telling me all the time to "turn the volume up"! I think that helped him visual the story without seeing it in a book. Most of the stories we listened to in the car were the Magic Tree House series - basic with a kid friendly voice narrating it. Another one my boys absolutely loved to listen to was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory narrated by one of the monty python guys (he won an award for it). They also go to sleep listening to books on cd (Narnia, Charlotte's Web, etc). Some very kid friendly, longer reading, picture/chapter books that they liked were Henry and Mudge, Poppelton, and just longer picture books I found off books lists for early readers that I would read to them. A longer picture book both my boys love and is the book that has been the most worn out is The Treasure Tree!

Anyone else's kids just not care about read-alouds?

Mine! But I do them anyway.;)

My older 2 are boys, so when I was trying to get them into chapter books, I pulled out How to Eat Fried Worms. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was another favorite.

For a long time we stopped reading at night because it was just too much effort for me to have to break through. But I finally said enough is enough recently, and we started reading the Narnia books (my kids are 11, 10, 8, 6, and 4 now...the 4yo doesn't really listen LOL). My 11yo moans and groans, but I tell him tough, it's good for him.:D

Have you tried audio books? My DD will listen to anything, anytime but she especially loves audio books, we only listen to them in the car as we are so far from everywhere it's always 30min plus in the car.

This is my suggestion also. My dds do enjoy read alouds, but we all enjoy audio books as well.