Menu

What do I do with pierogis?

The traditional Polish way is browned lightly in butter--don't get them crisp, keep them soft. They're fabulous as a dish on their own.

A traditional Polish meal would include Polish sausage and sauerkraut as well. However, Poles don't typically eat sauerkraut in its plain, vinegary glory. When I am making it, I rinse the sauerkraut in a collander and let drain. While it's draining, I fry up a few slices of bacon lightly and chop. Then, using the bacon grease, I fry an onion (diced) and a good amount of mushrooms. Combine it all in one pot and add some white wine, beef stock, some flour (I sprinkle it across the top), a good amount of pepper, and a peeled, diced, tart apple. Simmer it down until it's a soft, brown goo, stirring occasionally. It may not need salt, but taste and add salt as you see fit.

Yum!

The traditional Polish way is browned lightly in butter--don't get them crisp, keep them soft. They're fabulous as a dish on their own.

A traditional Polish meal would include Polish sausage and sauerkraut as well. However, Poles don't typically eat sauerkraut in its plain, vinegary glory. When I am making it, I rinse the sauerkraut in a collander and let drain. While it's draining, I fry up a few slices of bacon lightly and chop. Then, using the bacon grease, I fry an onion (diced) and a good amount of mushrooms. Combine it all in one pot and add some white wine, beef stock, some flour (I sprinkle it across the top), a good amount of pepper, and a peeled, diced, tart apple. Simmer it down until it's a soft, brown goo, stirring occasionally. It may not need salt, but taste and add salt as you see fit.

Yum!

You rock! :D