Menu

I took my dd1 to the dentist yesterday and he recommand she be put under general

anesthsia so he can fill two cavities. He said she is too young to be sedated so the only way he could fill the cavities would be to put her under. I was so surprised that she had two cavities, the only thing she carries around is water and I hardly ever give her any sweets. The dentist told me that sometimes baby teeth are just more prone to cavities. My dh and I are both very nervous about her be put under general anesthsia. I almost would rather wait until she is old enough to be sedated. The dentist said if we wait too long we run the risk of the cavities getting bigger and then getting infected. Has anyone been through this before? I'm just really nervous about the whole thing!

Find a pediatric dentist and get a 2nd opinion.

I had a 2-yr old who needed multiple fillings (my kids never drank from a bottle, ate sweets, we brushed teeth...sometimes it just happens!), and we never used general. Find a new dentist.

Ria

Find a pediatric dentist and get a 2nd opinion.

I had a 2-yr old who needed multiple fillings (my kids never drank from a bottle, ate sweets, we brushed teeth...sometimes it just happens!), and we never used general. Find a new dentist.

Ria

I did take her to a pediatric dentist and this is what he suggested. She is 16months old. He said if she were 2 he could sedate her.

My sister just went through this with her 2 yo. He needed 5 cavities filled and caps on his front teeth. (He doesn't eat sugar, never had a bottle, etc, etc, etc - he just has weak enamel.) Anyway, she went through a number of dentists for second and third opinions. All agreed that general was the way to go for these repairs. I can put you in touch with her if you'd like. I know it was a tough decision for them.

That said, I had a child who needed two teeth pulled. He was 8 at the time. He was sedated, but it just riled him up. He had to be held down to get it done. It was barbaric. If I had to do it over, I'd take the risk of general for him and have it done that way. It would've been more humane.

Find a pediatric dentist chop-chop.

My ds had to have major dental work as a toddler (four silver caps). He was strapped in a papoose and given very light laughing gas.

Your instincts are correct. She may not even need the fillings, and she almost certainly will not need general anesthesia. A pediatric dentist will have a better perspective on that, and a lot more options for restraint and distraction.

ETA: Come to think of it, ds also had to have stitches two separate times as a toddler, once in his tongue (shudder) and once in his forehead. He didn't have anesthesia for either event (though they did numb his tongue), and it was fine.

Edited by strider

It's true I my kids never had a cavity as young as 1, but general?

I don't think our dentist's office even uses any kind of sedation, just novacaine - although it's true that might be a bit much for a 1yo - I'd guess my kids were 3 or 4 by the time they had their first cavities. But general anesthesia??

I'd still get a second opinon - from a pediatric dentist that doesn't sedate older kids, and might be used to methods other than knocking them out. Our office just tells the kids what's going to happen, and numbs the spot before the novacaine shot (they tell them it's "drops" and squirt some out on their hand first - my kids never knew they were getting a shot, even afterwards!). My kids have never ever been scared of going to the dentist. While they might use different tactics for a 1-yo, they might have other tricks up their sleeves to manage a younger child than unconciousness.

My dd had multiple cavities when she was 3, due to having genetic pitting in her teeth (she is adopted). We did get a second opinion after her dentist suggested general. The second opinion was the same. We went through with it, and it went just fine and really wasn't a big deal for her.

anesthsia so he can fill two cavities. He said she is too young to be sedated so the only way he could fill the cavities would be to put her under. I was so surprised that she had two cavities, the only thing she carries around is water and I hardly ever give her any sweets. The dentist told me that sometimes baby teeth are just more prone to cavities. My dh and I are both very nervous about her be put under general anesthsia. I almost would rather wait until she is old enough to be sedated. The dentist said if we wait too long we run the risk of the cavities getting bigger and then getting infected. Has anyone been through this before? I'm just really nervous about the whole thing!

I used to work as an assistant for a pediatric dentist and we did general anesthesia cases in the local hospital on toddlers/preschoolers every other week. As a mother, however, I understand your concern!

I would think you could wait a little while if the cavities are very small and don't seem to be bothersome. That would give you time to get a second pediatric dentist's opinion and do a little research on the pros/cons.

Depending on your child's behavior in the office and the extent of her decay, it's *possible* that a dentist would try to do it in the office.

Btw, it's not only sweets that contribute to cavities. Many foods can decay teeth if proper brushing isn't done. But yes, there are some cases where you can do your best and it still isn't enough to prevent all problems.

Best wishes as you make your decision~

Chelle

It's true I my kids never had a cavity as young as 1, but general?

I don't think our dentist's office even uses any kind of sedation, just novacaine - although it's true that might be a bit much for a 1yo - I'd guess my kids were 3 or 4 by the time they had their first cavities. But general anesthesia??

I'd still get a second opinon - from a pediatric dentist that doesn't sedate older kids, and might be used to methods other than knocking them out. Our office just tells the kids what's going to happen, and numbs the spot before the novacaine shot (they tell them it's "drops" and squirt some out on their hand first - my kids never knew they were getting a shot, even afterwards!). My kids have never ever been scared of going to the dentist. While they might use different tactics for a 1-yo, they might have other tricks up their sleeves to manage a younger child than unconciousness.

If we decide to go ahead with the anesthesia it would be done as an out-patient at a surgical center, not at the dentist office. This pediatric dentist does see very young children as well as older children. Those that are younger than 2 is said it is much safer to put them under general anesthesia than to sedate them. She throw a huge fit when he was looking in her mouth, I had to hold her down so I know there is no way she would hold still long enough to let them use novacaine and then proceed with the fillling that would not be possible. My older 2 dc had some dental trouble but not this young. I think they were over 2. At the time we lived in Ohio and went to the dental clinic at children's hospital. They were able to sedate them, although even with being sedated my dd9 still wiggled around a lot and they had trouble. So I guess there is just no easy anwer. :confused:

My son was born with a minor defect in his mouth. Years ago, this defect was corrected surgically in infants, but caused some problems in some infants, so my doctor recommended waiting. I found a plastic surgeon (referred to me as "the best" by a doctor-friend) who advised us to wait until the child was 12 months old. At that point, the risks of putting a child under with general are the same as putting an adult under with general. I know this has nothing to do with dentistry, but wanted to share this to let you know the information I had regarding the risks of general anesthesia.

FWIW, my son was fine (it was an outpatient procedure) and doesn't remember a thing.

We just finished major dental work with our three year old son. None of my other kids have cavitites and he had three caps and two cavities filled. He also had two smallish cavities behind his two front teeth that the dentist said he would wait on. He smeared some flouride on them and told us to wait 6 months. I am brushing and brushing back there and I give him a calcium drink hoping that these things will help.

I agree with the previous poster that said some kids just have poor enamel. Also, get a second opinion!!!!

My son at three had a great pediatric dentist and he was able to do *all* the work with laughing gas and a shot. We had several appointments and he did one at a time. I brought toys for after and gave him Motrin before. He came through it well and still loves going to the dentist!! Look around or ask around. Anesetic has its dangers and you would do best to avoid it. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to have major work done humanely without the general but it depends on the skill of the dentist.

:grouphug: to you. I felt awful when we had so much work to do with my son. I came to the conclusion that sometimes kids just come with bad teeth. I hope you find what works for you and yours.

Umm, no way would I do that without exploring every other option first. My middle child had teeth filled at about 2 and she was not sedated. I agree with you sometimes it might be better to wait. I'd not only get a second opinion from a dentist but I would probably talk to my pediatrician about this. FWIW, my middle child who had lots of cavities in baby teeth has zero in her permanent and she has lovely teeth. I would be incredibly worried about putting her under and in all places a dental office.

JMO--

Anita

I would get a second opinion too. Pediatric dentists can vary greatly.

I took my ds (no bottles, regular brushing) in at 3 and he had something like 10 small cavities (I think my mind blocks the number out ;) ). The ped dentist wanted to cap his front teeth and fill the cavities under general anesthesia (and it would take 2 sessions). It was going to cost about $2500 out of pocket (partly because they did the general in the office rather than a hospital which would have triggered our health ins). I took ds to another ped dentist (same age as the first and trained at the same place) and she said that if he were her son, she'd just watch the cavities and not fill unless they got bigger.

My dd (9 with Down Syndrome) just had a couple of cavities filled under general. She's NOT pleasant for someone who's trying to look in her mouth and we tried 2 different forms of sedation in the office first (neither of which even phased her, much less made her groggy). It went fine, no side effects, and it was in the hospital, so our health insurance picked up the anesthesia costs.

I do agree with the pp who said that some kids just come with bad teeth. Mine get it from their father :glare:

We've had a lot of dentistry work done on our children. When my 3rd dd was not quite two, I took her to the dentist because she has a line across her four front teeth. The line, of course was major decay. She needed to have those four teeth capped. I talked with two dentists and ended up getting the work done in the office. Many others in my same situation have decided to put children this young under a general in the hospital.

During this time, I also learned that cavities are subjective. What one dentist calls a cavity may not be what another dentist calls a cavity. In fact, some dentists put caps on teeth that other dentists will fill.

A second opinion is often necessary in these cases. I have a pedi dentist that I love, but I've gotten second opinions throughout the years, just to see what other dentists recommend. I've always gone back to my original pedi dentist, but that hasn't always been my intention. LOL There were times when I really didn't like what he was telling me and was sure he was wrong, only to find out that another dentist agreed with him, or thought that there was even more decay.

My 4th dd has terrible teeth now. We brush, but now I am brushing her brush more often, flossing her teeth for her, and we need to start putting toothbrushes in hydrogen peroxide again. I'm also using xylitol to brush and not allowing any more sticky food or candy.

It's certainly no fun to have to deal with teeth issues and little ones.:grouphug:

Just to clear up a couple of things that have come up.

It was a pediatric dentist that recommanded putting her under general anesthia, not our family dentist. If we were to go ahead with this it would be done at an outpatient hospital facility, not at the dentists office. Our dental insurance would cover the dentist, and then our medical insurance would cover the anestesiologist and the expense of the facility.

The reason the pediatric dentist recommands putting her under general instead of sedating her is because he said it is much safer at her age (16 months) to put her under than to sedate her. I didn't ask him why, I'm not sure if medically it is safer or if it's safer in terms of getting her to hold still. This is something I do need to clear up. From what I could understand the way he was talking it was safer medically to go this route. He doesn't start sedating kids until they are over 2. I know many of you have mentioned that your dc have been sedated without any problems but all of them have been over the age of 2 so we really can't compare.

Thank you for all the concern. My head is really spinning about what to do. My first impression was just to go ahead and have it done. The impression I got from the dentist was that it is very safe. When I got home my dh didn't agree and is very worried about having her put under. I think I will look into getting a second opinion.

Thanks everyone

DD had two cavities that started at 12 months and were very bad at 2, but we waited and she had them done at 3 with a little bit of laughing gas.

DS had multiple cavities at 18 months and one needed a root canal. One front tooth was so damaged that they barely had enough left to get a cap on and almost had to pull it. We had his done with general. It really depends on the extent of the damage, but if you get it done now you need general.

Don't feel bad about the cavities. It is sometimes weak enamel and other times, the genetic shape of the tooth. My daughter had to have a pulpotomy ( like a root canal) at age 3 due to a rotted out tooth the dentist said was simply poorly shaped. It is the only cavity she had. She was not put under general and of course she was older. Good luck. I think a second opinion would be good. I would also think about just waiting till age 2 comes along if she is not in pain.

Some helpful links for you:

Surgery at 8:30 am no food or drink past 12 :(

cavities and breastfeeding

teeth care

The surgery was at 8 am. The anesthesiologist had no problem when I told him that he had nursed at 4 am. And just a warning. They kept saying it was no big deal and that he would be able to eat and be alert as soon as it was over. Wrong. He nursed, threw up and was groggy and miserable for the rest of the day.

Another thing: The dentist kept saying to call him for an Rx if he was in pain. He was clingy, but how do you tell if a non-talker is in pain? After the surgery he said he definitely was. :(

I would get a 2nd opinion. Personally, I would not want to put my dc under general anesthesia if it's not an urgent (life-threatening) kind of thing. The risk of the anesthesia might be worse than the risk of waiting until she's older.

Honestly - we don't go to a ped dentist, and they are GREAT with my dc. I've heard others say the same thing - -

We had this done with my oldest DD, who was 19 months at the time. I was scared to death, but I have no doubt in my mind that we did the right thing for her. We had it done at a children's hospital, which made me feel better about it. She needed quite a bit of work though. Her enamel did not form correctly for some reason.

My second DD had a cavity at 2 and the same dentist was able to use laughing gas and fill it in the office. My third DD had no cavities until a very tiny one at 5.

It is a hard decision, but I do think that it is sometimes necessary and the right thing to do.

My DS was born with malformed enamel on his teeth. You could actually see the decay in his mouth despite what we were doing. We took a wait and see approach for a while. He ended up getting an abcess on one of his teeth that required an emergency extraction. That was when he was 4 and they did put him under a light general anasthetic. Honestly, he was awake so fast and had absolutely no problems with it.

He then later had to go to the hospital for a stronger general that knocked him out while they did 4 more crowns, 4 fillings, and who knows how many pulpectomies. Now that he is older (he's 7) he's had more fillings and crowns done with just the gas and he does fine with it. He doesn't like it though, so he is developing a bit of a fear toward the dentist.

My DS also had his tonsils out at age 4 and went under general for that. So, by the time he was 5, he had general anasthesia 3 times. It's never easy, and I was definitely a mess each time. But I think I did the right thing.

My advice (for what is is worth) is to ask the dentist how bad the cavities are. (Can you see them yourself?) If they aren't terrible, you could ask about waiting until she is 2 and seeing then what the options are and how she responds to the dentist then. But I just wanted to send some :grouphug: because I know how difficult it could be. Just please don't wait for an abcess to happen...that is so painful, results in the loss of a tooth, and then requires a space maintainer to keep the gap open.