Menu

Please share your home hair coloring nightmares..

One summer I used a lot of Sun-In. It looked pretty at first, and then it turned an unhealthy orange hue. Gah!

I've decided not to color my hair; aside from the Sun-In experience I've never done it, and I don't want to start. I'm starting to go grey, and I'd rather be natural than end up an 80-year old blond. LOL.

Ria

I did my sisters hair at her insistence once. She looked like a blueberry. Not my fault. Actually she looked like a streaky blueberry because despite me pointing out that she needed two packets (very thick very long hair) she insisted that her friend said she only needed one packet (her friend has very thin hair). End result: Streaky blueberry. Luckily enough it was the kind that you can buy a different solution and it takes it out so she didn't spend months as a streaky blueberry. Our mum did make her go to school looking like one though for not listening to me:D

I have home dyed my hair for years. I had never had a problem until last summer. I had decided to get my hair lightened by the pros and it was awesome, when it came time to redye due to really bad roots I decided to go with my normal auburn home dye kit. Well apparently the colour I chose worked really well when I used it on my natural dark hair but on my chemically lightened hair not so much. I ended up with orange hair and a year later am still trying to grow it all out. If I ever dye my hair again I will let the pros do it so I don't end up looking like a clown again.

I've always dyed my hair myself, ever since I was 15. I've had some "interesting" outcomes, buy none as bad as the "Horror of 2005." I decided to use a different brand. My hair was supposed to be a lovely dark auburn. It turned out both purple and orange AT THE SAME TIME!!! Yes, it was as bad as you are imagining. Go to a pro.

Thanks for the help. I had a hairdresser friend beg me not to try it at home. She was especially concerned about my interest in bleach and warned me that my hair could crumble(and she wasn't trying to get my business). I think I'll just fork over the money and go to a pro.

well I have colored my hair for over 10 years

I only screwed up once. I wanted to change my color from a dark to light.

So if you look on the hair color section of your store there is the box that looks like it hasn't been updated since the 70's. They still stock it. The product is suppose to remove old dye, so you can go lighter.

STOP NEVER USE THIS PRODUCT, YOUR HAIR WILL START BREAKING OFF

I had shoulder length hair, which all started breaking off. I ended up with a very short style. It was just slightly longer than a crew cut all over. (I looked like a punk kid at age 28):ack2:

I can give advise about home dye jobs. I only do my roots monthly. I only do the full length every 3 months. My hair is currently past my shoulders. I also would never try to change my hair color more than 2 shades lighter than my natural without a professional.

Mine is a professional job gone bad!! We discussed options and decided to do a demi-permanent - one that would wash out in a few months or so. My natural color is a strawberry blonde. It had turned more grey than I prefer. My hair turned out very nearly BLACK!!! I was SO upset! She did my eyebrows too.

In the end, I love the eyebrows (people have been commenting on how wonderful my eyes look now!). The hair color has NOT washed out and it's been four months!! But, the roots are nearly ALL grey and I'm only 38. Ugh. It looks SO much worse right now than it did 6 months ago and I'm not sure what to do now. Yuck.

Good luck!

I have been coloring my own for almost 10 years and never had a problem. The only thing I did that I would consider a "mistake" is to dye it black. After my dd was born, (I didn't color my hair while pg) my hair was so dark, I figured I might as well dye it my natural color - black! Unfortunately, nothing will go over the black, so my options are stripping it (no way!) or letting it slowly grow out. I'm working on my patience! ;)

I've only had a problem once. I tried a different brand and a color that had red highlights, and got red hair. Of course once eons ago when I had it professionally done, I ended up with red hair too.

Only those two times though in some 20 years. I've done my own for some 10 years now, and it always comes out well. I use a brown with blond highlights though and only L'Oreal Superior Preference (which is supposedly less prone to orange). It's pretty close to what my hair would be if it didn't have so much gray. :glare: