Menu

Middle School Science

mom31257

I'm trying to decide what science to do for the rest of middle school. I've considered Apologia. I've also considered BJU. One problem I have is that BJU does life science for a whole year, and there's a lot of life science in the Apologia General Science. Life science is my dd's least favorite and a whole year of it seems daunting.

Do any of you think it would be feasible to do 7th and 8th grade science at the same time, just going back and forth from book to book where appropriate? Her reading is well above grade level, so I don't think that would be a problem. I would have a bigger curriculum expense this year, but not the next.

She's doing Life Pacs right now (our SOS program crashed). She did SOS last year and just unit studies for 3rd and 4th. All of it has been a variety of topics, not just one focus. I know high school will be that way, though, so is middle school a better time to introduce that idea?

Thanks for any input!

We're planning to use BJU life science. I don't know how jumping back and forth would work out, that is a little hard for me to picture. Life science isn't my son's favorite either, he would much prefer physics, but I'm still look forward to it. If you want a good general science, you might consider Rainbow. I have been really tempted by it, but it seems so expensive.

Debbie

We're using this now. Heading into the second half of the book, we have not yet encountered life science. It seems to show up in module 9 with a discussion of DNA and move on to the human body.

I'm not familiar with BJU, but I chose this one as it's the *only* one at this level that gives the human body this much coverage.

You could always skim or test out of the modules she's familiar with and just go through it more quickly. There are a couple we are only planning to spend a week on.

Darla

Edited by darlasowders

My oldest dd used Abeka's Earth and Space science last year in 6th because it matched up most closely with the p/s syllabus she was working on when we pulled her. She found it dull, dull, dull and we switched over to BJU's life science text this year. It's a challenging course and dd is getting lots out of it. It is a bit more teacher intensive than I'd prefer, but dh (a p/s science teacher) picks ups some of the load here. I have the Answers in Genesis stuff here already as I'm using it for life science for my younger two. I'm hoping to sync the last 12 weeks or so of the year to work on the human body section of that course all together.

Tentatively we've planned to use Apologia's Physcial (9th gr text) with our dd next year for 8th. I think I know that I want either BJU or Apologia for the rest of her sciences, so we'll use this 8th grade year to evaluate both and come to a solid path for high school. We thought of using Apologia's 8th, but dd is very math and science oriented and we'd really like her taking Bio as a freshman.

My plan at this point is to

My son used the BJU Life Science curriculum this year, and he loves it. We are going to skip Earth Science next year and go straight to Physical Science. So I would say you could skip Life Science and go straight to Earth Science, if you want. If you plan to go into Biology in couple of years, Life Science is a good intro class. It's probably not really necessary, just helpful.

and I've considered it myself. Looking at their scope and sequence though it actually looks like you might end up with more life science--and less coverage of anatomy. From what is there, it does appear to (somewhat) cover reproduction. Kudos to them for that!

I just wanted to suggest though that before you plunk down the cash, do thumb through a copy of Apologia's General Science. Half the year is devoted to anything *but* life science and what is there in the second half is very different from BJU.

There is no more of the plants and animals type biology at all. After a brief coverage of classification, it's all anatomy. Neither BJU or Apologia cover that until then (maybe briefly). We found the first three modules very valuable as they discussed at length the history of science, the scientific method and how to interpret experiments.

Thanks for all the responses. I did notice the first 3 modules of Apologia looked very enticing. Is there much difference from the first edition to the second of Apologia? I thought the BJU looked very appealing, as well. I liked the look of Rainbow, but if you have to buy all those extra kits, the price is far out there. Why can't these decisions be easier????

is mostly visual. The way I understand it, the second edition is much more colorful and has received very little editing in the text itself. They added pictures etc. Now if someone out there has both books and can point out any major differences, I'd really like to know.

We are using the first edition, and I do sometimes wish I'd bought the newer one. I will be updating it when my younger kids get there for sure. My next one in line to use this course is very visual (as am I).

You can download the table of contents, lab supply lists, and the first module from Apologia's website.

Darla

Space & Earth from BJU is supposed to be a "hard" class. I'm looking forward to it next year with DD, but i'm glad we are jumping into it with Life Science. DD would just to S&E right now, but i really want her to have the Life Science.

We started Apologia in 6th, and the content was fine, she just didn't like the format.

All that said, we are doing BJU with HOmesat, so that is a different ball of wax that self teaching too.

I am *right* in the same boat as you :o). We are finishing BJU6 this year and enjoying it, but ds hates hates hates life science. A whole year of it at the depth that BJU goes into it would SO send him over the mental edge (he's a total earth/physical/math kind of guy). Here's my thoughts....the only thing I find lacking in the Apologia middle school books is a bit more intro to life science. I think they do a great job covering the other parts: history, human body, machines etc, earth science, intro to chem/physics..it's really a nice mix, imo, and I see no reason you couldn't do a little hopping with modules between both books. I balk at BJU Life for the very reason that it is SO thorough. If you plan to have them do biology in 9th, it will be quite a bit of repetition (for my kid, this means torture, especially if it is bio). OTOH, I'd like to get a decent *overview* in middle school. I'm considering either throwing the Answers in Gen. books in along with the Apologia Gen. , or there is a really neat video course called Biology 101 (timberdoodle carries it) that I've heard is really very good, but not so lenthy or intensive as to drive anyone batty. The teacherish/curriculum junkie side of me LOVES the looks of the new BJU texts, and would love to charge right through all 3 of them (yeah right, like THAT would happen with this kid...ha!). Sigh. But ds is not me, unfortunately. Apologia is just so much more *doable*. 2 books, not 3 (obviously they want to mess with our minds on the issue of doing Physical Science in 9th grade, forcing us to either A) skip a book or B) mess up our ideal science sequence). So my personal opinion? Go for Apologia, add in some extra life science, mix up the modules as you see fit, version 2 is more colorful but basically the same modules. Get on the Apologia yahoo groups where they have alternative tests (more mult. choice/matching type questions), check out the lapbook/notebooks for the Apologia books on Knowledge Box Central if you want to liven things up. Get a good exp. kit from Sonlight or homesciencetools. I agree with you that the BJU looks *VERY* appealing, though. I wring my hands and drool regularly over it. And 6th has worked very well for us this year, which gnaws at my psyche as well. Oh well. Choices, choices.

Kayleen

My son used the BJU Life Science curriculum this year, and he loves it. We are going to skip Earth Science next year and go straight to Physical Science. So I would say you could skip Life Science and go straight to Earth Science, if you want. If you plan to go into Biology in couple of years, Life Science is a good intro class. It's probably not really necessary, just helpful.

We have also used and loved the Life Science this year for 7th. We also used the dvds, expensive though they were and I am very happy we did. Mrs. Vick challenges, teaches and helps train them in critical thinking, test skills all sorts of stuff. I am very pleased.

We are also skipping Earth and Space to do Physical in 8th and begin Biology in 9th. My dd wants to be a nurse so I also want her in biology in 9th so we have time for advanced bio in 12th.

If you are not totally opposed to secular materials you could look into PH science explorers. We chose these over apologia because they have other things you can incorporate into your science. They do have experiments and computer links on the PH site in the book it ties social studies and other subjects in at times too. It does a whole year of life science but it covers a broad array of things in the life science and actually was an interesting read.

Go for Apologia, add in some extra life science, mix up the modules as you see fit, version 2 is more colorful but basically the same modules. Get on the Apologia yahoo groups where they have alternative tests (more mult. choice/matching type questions), check out the lapbook/notebooks for the Apologia books on Knowledge Box Central if you want to liven things up. Get a good exp. kit from Sonlight or homesciencetools. I agree with you that the BJU looks *VERY* appealing, though. I wring my hands and drool regularly over it. And 6th has worked very well for us this year, which gnaws at my psyche as well. Oh well. Choices, choices.

Kayleen

I appreciated this, Kayleen. We are using General Science now and I am disappointed with the tests. In fact, I just posted something about this on the high school board to get some ideas with increasing the difficulty on the tests. I like your suggestion of mixing it up a little with different things. My son is currently using one of the Science Explorers books (I think Kissy mentioned it above - a great secular middle school science option from Prentice Hall) and I really like it. The text is thorough and engaging, and the workbook helps him process the info a little more. I couldn't find the tests for the program, though, so I can't compare their tests to Apologia. I'm going to look into that some more. I'm actually thinking of using a mix of Apologia and Science Explorers in middle school for my rising 6th grader since he has more of a science bent.

One positive of Apologia from this year - we're using the Knowledge Box Central lapbook kit and it has made science fun for my dd. It has also been a good tool for teaching her how to learn from a textbook and how to study for tests, skills she had needed to begin to learn.

To the OP, I can relate to your quandry! I'm thankful for all the help you've been given here - it's great to be able to hear from others who have used the different programs out there. :)

We could not use BJU 7 (Life Science). I think dd *probably* could have handled it. But, I felt it was too intense, too fast paced, and just too much. Science was going to go from being a favorite to being a major ordeal.

We used BJU up until 7th grade so it was quite a shock to us. I had purchased the program already. Up until 7th we had taught the 1 semester of BJU elementary science and "filled in" the rest of the year with Apologia or Noeo. It was fine through 6th.

We settled on Apologia General and it was, without a doubt, the best choice for us. Dd has thrived in science like she never has before. She loved the module on archeology. I did purchase everything - the cdrom and the audio cd. The audio cd has helped tremendously. If dd has a problem with a section - she can pop in the audio cd and go over it at her own pace. She keeps a highlighter and notebook handy as she goes through it. We will definitely use Apologia Physical Science next year.

One other thought . . . . .

When I attended a lecture not long ago on teaching high school science, the speaker had a few thoughts on BJU.

She suggested skipping 7th Life Science. She said it really was the equivalent of a high school text, but because it is labeled for 7th, we could not count it as a high school credit.

Her thought was to totally skip the BJU JR High programs and go directly into 9th. She suggested making the 9th grade text last 2 years (7th and 8th). That way you are not rushing an advanced text and your dc is also getting a high school credit. Then in 9th grade, teach 10th grade BJU. Again, you have the option of teaching it in 1 or 2 years.

Just a thought