Menu

Those who get Migraines

Besides being miserable and feeling like someone is taking a chainsaw, no make that machete, to your head and feeling like your insides are going to be thrown up anytime....

Do you have trouble concentrating? I have been reading a lot more the last few months and am noticing that when I get my migraines, I cannot concentrate. I haven't noticed this the last few years, but I haven't been reading as much, either. With my last few migraines, I can be trying to read something simple and no matter how hard I try, I feel like my brain is jumping around and won't be still. I'm wondering if this is the migraine or if it might be the Excedrin Migraine w/ all the caffeine. I don't get this way with regular caffeine, though.

Just curious if anyone else gets this way.

Migraines happen when you have a blood vessel constrict, then dilate quickly in your head. The constriction can cause odd symptoms, like visual disturbances (a la the "classic" migraine scintillating scotoma), speech impediments, numbness, etc., then the dilation causes the screaming headache. It's not unlikely that the events are causing a visual disturbance that makes it difficult to read or to process the fine tracking you use in scanning a page. I can't even imagine trying to read with a migraine.

Yes, I get goofy with my migraines. I don't concentrate well (really, who could?), have more word finding difficulties, forget more things, etc. Have you read the book "Heal Your Headaches"? http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-Program-Taking/dp/0761125663/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234991268&sr=8-1

When I cut out the trigger foods mentioned in this book, my migraines have been much better. I'm not 100% but, quite a bit better. HTH Jacqui

Yes, I get goofy with my migraines. I don't concentrate well (really, who could?), have more word finding difficulties, forget more things, etc. Have you read the book "Heal Your Headaches"? http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-Program-Taking/dp/0761125663/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234991268&sr=8-1

When I cut out the trigger foods mentioned in this book, my migraines have been much better. I'm not 100% but, quite a bit better. HTH Jacqui

Mine seem to be hormone related...do you think this book would still help?

My 10yo son has migraines. He goes to a pediatric neurologist for them. He told us to never use Excedrin Migraine - plain ibuprofen instead. There is also a new prescription drug called Avert that we have found works well.

He also told us to never let him have caffiene or artificial sweeteners.

Are you watching what you eat before you get a migraine? They can be triggered by nuts, chocolate, bananas, cheese, and smoked meats.

I've been getting migraines for around 20+ years now, although as I'm entering my mid-40's, I am getting less.

Yes, brain fog is definitely a component, both during the actual migraine (and who could think with that sort of pain anyway?) and then for half day or so once the pain is over. There is no way to concentrate, nor would I want to.

I also get very nauseated, dizzy, tremendous fatigue, and often feel cold during a migraine. They are awful. I pray my DS doesn't inherit them from me.

Michelle T

I've been getting migraines for around 20+ years now, although as I'm entering my mid-40's, I am getting less.

My mom told me that hers stopped after she had kids...I haven't been so lucky.

I notice that mine are less frequent/severe when I am consistently exercising. Always happen the same time of the month, so I don't know if I should still take into consideration the food or if that matters.

My 10yo son has migraines. He goes to a pediatric neurologist for them. He told us to never use Excedrin Migraine - plain ibuprofen instead. There is also a new prescription drug called Avert that we have found works well.

He also told us to never let him have caffiene or artificial sweeteners.

Are you watching what you eat before you get a migraine? They can be triggered by nuts, chocolate, bananas, cheese, and smoked meats.

Did he say why not to take the Excedrin? Is Avert the one they say not to take if you had a reaction to Imitrex? Imitrex and I DID NOT agree.

My migraines are linked to my cycle. I have been taking the Birth Control pill "Seasonale". It is the one where you have you period every 3 months. This has helped so much. I still get migraines when I do have my period but it helps not having them every month. I know this would not work for some people but for me it is worth it. I would rather not take pills but I was getting migraines that lasted DAYS...EVERY MONTH! I just could not cope.

Not sure, but the premise is that there are many, many triggers for HA including hormones.You want to keep the triggers that you can control low so that when there are triggers you can't control (hormones, weather changes, screaming kids :o) etc) you (hopefully) won't reach your migraine threshold level of triggers. In other words, hormones alone may not cause you to get the migraine, but hormones combined with other triggers may send you over the edge at that time of the month. See if your library has the book before you consider buying it. HTH Jacqui

Because the Excedrin contains caffeine, and while it may relieve the symptoms at first, it could possibly cause the migraine to come back more intensely.

I'm not sure about the Imitrex, but I know that Imitrex was not approved for children while Avert was.

My migraines are linked to my cycle. I have been taking the Birth Control pill "Seasonale". It is the one where you have you period every 3 months. This has helped so much. I still get migraines when I do have my period but it helps not having them every month. I know this would not work for some people but for me it is worth it. I would rather not take pills but I was getting migraines that lasted DAYS...EVERY MONTH! I just could not cope.

I'll ask my dr. about this one when I go in. They tried me on Yaz and I had unbearable migraines for a week before I told them I was not going to adjust and stopped taking it.

Not sure, but the premise is that there are many, many triggers for HA including hormones.You want to keep the triggers that you can control low so that when there are triggers you can't control (hormones, weather changes, screaming kids :o) etc) you (hopefully) won't reach your migraine threshold level of triggers. In other words, hormones alone may not cause you to get the migraine, but hormones combined with other triggers may send you over the edge at that time of the month. See if your library has the book before you consider buying it. HTH Jacqui

That's really interesting - I'll have to look into this further. Thank you!

I take Excedrin PM as apart from prescription strength paracetamol with codeine it is the only one I can take that works. I am allergic to ibuprofen and I am lactose intolerant and the migraine medication usually have lactose in them. I can't take the nosesprays because they make my nose bleed:glare:

I have found that if I take a regular tylenol at the FIRST sign of a headache I can usually stop them in their tracks.

Also I have to make sure I stay hydrated. Dehydration is a major trigger for me.

ETA. I am also on the pill which has lessened the intensity of the attacks when I get them and also the frequency. Hormones weren't the major trigger for me but if I "hit" another trigger at that time of the month I could guarantee I got one:glare: You know to go along with all the other fun stuff:glare:

I take Excedrin PM as apart from prescription strength paracetamol with codeine it is the only one I can take that works. I am allergic to ibuprofen and I am lactose intolerant and the migraine medication usually have lactose in them. I can't take the nosesprays because they make my nose bleed:glare:

I have found that if I take a regular tylenol at the FIRST sign of a headache I can usually stop them in their tracks.

Also I have to make sure I stay hydrated. Dehydration is a major trigger for me.

I really appreciate all these tips! I'm always dehydrated and I live in the desert. :tongue_smilie:

That's what I did this morning - I felt a little off, so I took some excedrin and skipped the aura. It's really not that bad except that now I'm starting to get a bit nauseated and just having trouble concentrating. Better than a full blown one, though.

Imitrex and I DID NOT agree.

I couldn't take Imitrex either (I felt like I was having a heart attack), but the new triptans (I'm on Maxalt) are GREAT!

Advil liquigels (4 regular strength or 2 extra strength) are my OTC med of choice for headaches if I try to stave off a migraine (I kinda hoard my Maxalt and try to only take them for the horrible ones).

I started getting migraines after our second child was born ... and I get panic attacks, so they kind of fed off each other for a while. Sigh.

I've only just recently figured out that the Excedrin Tension Headache (acetominophen + caffeine) which was REALLY helping the headache was having a rebound effect with the caffeine ... it would wake me in the middle of the night, and if I had any other possible triggers going on ... there I'd be with a panic attack. (Let's not even talk about the weekend I had figuring that one out.)

So apparently, even though caffeine can help some headaches, it turns out to be something I now have to avoid. And I'd already cut out all other caffeine completely.

Just something to keep in mind.

I can't focus during migraines either ... but I've always attributed it to the pain and nausea. I find 'handiwork' much better than brain work ... watching TV while playing cat's cradle or some other thing (if I could knit, that'd be great). Something to pass the time till the painkillers kick in.

I I can't take the nosesprays because they make my nose bleed:glare:

Try Omnaris. It's prescription and not covered by many insurances since it's new and there isn't a generic available. It has a moisturizer in it. I haven't had a bloody nose since I started it. You can get a discount card from the manufacturer.

I get stroke symptoms with my migraines: numbness, tingling, weakness, etc. The visual stuff does make it hard to concentrate sometimes. I take Imitrex when I get a migraine and started a migraine preventative (Elavil) a couple of months ago which seems to be helping.

My dr recently told me that some neurologists believe migraines imitate strokes or may actually cause mini-strokes. This informations came as a result of neurologists looking at brains of individuals who've had recurring migraines over years.

I've tried numerous meds; fiorecet and topocol (??) work the best. Imitrex was a debacle. Nose spray exacerbated the migraines.

Excedrin totally makes me nauseated, but if I take two extra-strength advil and drink about a cup of Mountain Dew right when I start to feel the headache coming on, then lay down & close my eyes for 10-15 minutes, I'm able to keep it away.

Once it's hit me full-blown, however, it's a lot harder to get rid of. It can last for days.

I need to do a little research on this--thanks for all the info in this thread. I only discovered the mountain dew/advil thing within the past year or two, but I'm afraid of getting addicted to caffiene! (I never drink it other than this little headache remedy...but my mom was seriously addicted for years).

Someone's comment about caffiene causing a rebound headache makes me question my remedy...maybe all I'm doing is making it go away for a little while only to have it come back the next day.

My dr recently told me that some neurologists believe migraines imitate strokes or may actually cause mini-strokes. This informations came as a result of neurologists looking at brains of individuals who've had recurring migraines over years.

I've tried numerous meds; fiorecet and topocol (??) work the best. Imitrex was a debacle. Nose spray exacerbated the migraines.

Yeah, my neurologist said it was fairly common. I, of course, freaked out when my migraines started presenting this way. :tongue_smilie: When I followed up on my ER visit with my family doc, she said that it could be migraines and referred me to a neurologist to make sure it was that and not something more serious. I'm glad it's "only migraines" but it would be nice not to get any, too. :) I'm down to 1-2 per month instead of 3-4 per week, which is a big improvement.

I get stroke symptoms with my migraines: numbness, tingling, weakness, etc. The visual stuff does make it hard to concentrate sometimes. I take Imitrex when I get a migraine and started a migraine preventative (Elavil) a couple of months ago which seems to be helping.

I used to get migraines and the early symptons sounded just like this. I would become disoriented, one time I tried to phone home for a ride and could not get my fingers to properly dial the phone. One year the confusion lasted for more than a week. I went to the neurologist because I could not think and he said I was having a migraine (no pain).

This was at least 12 years ago (they kept telling me it couldn't be spring allergies, but when we moved to a different region of the country the migraines stopped). I think the medicine they gave me was 'cafergot' (sp?) to take when confusion symptons started to reduce severity of the pain part.

OY! I don't get migraines, but my husband sure does. Since early childhood. And no one believed him!!! A couple of years ago, we finally figured out that his worst trigger was low blood sugar. He rarely gets hunger signals, and if he actually starts to FEEL hungry it's already too late. Crazy. But if we feed him well enough he stays on an even keel and can avoid headaches. If he's not into full-on migraine, 40 minutes of hard exercise (exercise bike) usually will make it go away.

Brain fog? Definitely. And absolute exhaustion. We tuck him in early on those days. I'm just glad he has a wife who doesn't think he's pretending to be sick to get out of going to school or something. Good grief.

Try Omnaris. It's prescription and not covered by many insurances since it's new and there isn't a generic available. It has a moisturizer in it. I haven't had a bloody nose since I started it. You can get a discount card from the manufacturer.

Well insurance isn't a problem for me since I am not in the US. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him if we have it here yet. It might not help my problem though since it is the preservatives that irritate my nose. But thanks for the tip!

Good thread, I will have to read through later. I have suffered for 10 years, neurologists "say" its migraines, however I also get pain in my neck - I often wear a neck brace to help. They never can say how my neck in involved. I cant make the pain go away no matter what otc or prescriptions I try. BUT, I will try Mountain Dew!

Anyway, anyone have trouble with their neck at the same time??

The post about threshhold of triggers is so true!! I am very migraine prone and my neurologist thinks it is hereditary for some. Since I have an autoimmune disease, my inflammation is a sort of trigger, plus my monthly hormones. On top of that, certain foods (too much caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, mangoes), and weather changes. And it seems, muscular tension in my neck...not sure which comes first.

I definitely cannot focus, most noticeable in my speech. My migraines would send me to bed for three days with severe pain and vomiting. I ended up taking Topomax as a preventative and I take Frova instead of Imitrex. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it has made a big difference for me.

I have been getting migraines for 36 years. It seems like my triggers have changed over the years. I think now, though, the trigger is hormonal. When I started having babies, the migraines would only come once a year. Now I am going through the peri-menopausal stage and I am getting them once a month. They also come in clusters of two or three in a span of two days. They can last up to a week. This has taken me for a loop. It seems like I just get my feet back on the ground and then they start up again.

Everyone around me knows when I have a migraine because I talk and think slower. I am easily distracted and lose my train of thought on a dime. It is like living in a fog. I am like this for as long as the migraine lasts which could be up to a week.

Well insurance isn't a problem for me since I am not in the US. I'll ask my doctor next time I see him if we have it here yet. It might not help my problem though since it is the preservatives that irritate my nose. But thanks for the tip!

AHA! I have the solution for you, then:

Motilium (liquid - not the pill) and Naproxen Sodium.

The Motilium is an anti-emetic (stops nausea) and the Naproxen Sodium is the pain killer.

I had this prescribed in Belgium, where the consensus is that, if you can stop the nausea, the headache won't come/won't be as bad. It worked really well. And then I moved back to the US, where Motilium is not sold, and... eh.

asta

AHA! I have the solution for you, then:

Motilium (liquid - not the pill) and Naproxen Sodium.

The Motilium is an anti-emetic (stops nausea) and the Naproxen Sodium is the pain killer.

I had this prescribed in Belgium, where the consensus is that, if you can stop the nausea, the headache won't come/won't be as bad. It worked really well. And then I moved back to the US, where Motilium is not sold, and... eh.

asta

Thank you! I'll look into it.

This thread has been great. Thanks for asking the initial question Monica!