Menu

What do you think of this?

I think:

1) specific techniques should be something parents should teach kids

2) it should be an opt-in/opt out thing...maybe for kids who change classes or before/after school

3) that my kids would be spending time in the hallway or library

To me, it's just another issue of schools trying to parent. I realize too many parents are dropping the ball partially or completely, but....

I actually don't have a problem with meditation. I just have a problem with THAT kind of meditation. And I have a problem with a school assuming it is perfectly fine to keep adding parenting things to schools. And yet they can't give kids a physical break (P.E. and recess) which is absolutely necessary for learning regularly?

Maybe it bothers you (and me) because it is indoctrinating students in a cosmic humanism worldview. Any time you start "deep breathing" patterns you are being opened up to altered states of consciousness which they are choosing to call "mindfulness".

If I were to send my child to a government school (only upon my untimely death) I would expect them to teach math, history, grammar, composition, foreign language, science, art and maybe music or band. I would also expect that they let young kids run around a couple of times a day. Beyond that they are putting values and their own agenda into the mind of vulnerable kids who are being taught the old New Age lie of "just look within yourself", "you are a little god", "you don't need to trust in God".

That's my opinion anyway.

I don't want dd anywhere near this. My ds has to meditate as part of his treatment program (and he's an atheist), so I allow it there, but I wish I didn't have to. I don't mind the "stop and take a deep breath, then continue talking something thru" kind of thing, but I don't want my dd intro'd to any visualization, meditation or yoga at school. It's not part of our family's worldview, or at least the one we are trying to teach.

And I have to ad, the part of the article that referred to being in the present moment without judgement sort of sealed the deal--I get what they are saying, but I'm sorry, I want my dd to use good judgement, not park it at the door.

Edited by Chris in VA

First they removed mandatory prayer to God in school and made it a moment of silence where a child may pray silently if he wishes. Recently a court ruled that as violating seperation of state & religion.

Now they provide classes in this?

If you are a Christian, you probably have read that we are to meditate on God's Word, so there's nothing inherintly bad with meditation, it's what we meditate upon that is the issue. As Soph the Vet said, this is the old New Age lie, 'you are a little god'.

I do not see a problem. Is it not the same as the "moment of silence" I use to have in school in the 70's just under a different name?

I don't think so. From the second link I posted above:

The mindfulness program teaches children to pay attention. In a series of mindfulness exercises students are taught to focus their attention on sound, their breath, movement, and various other parts of their daily experience. This teaches students to be and to stay in the present. It helps make them more aware of their thoughts and feelings.

This awareness gives students an understanding of their emotions and emotional reactions, allowing more control and the ability to make choices in response to difficulties, rather than habitually reacting.

It sounds like there is some guided meditation going on.

Bolding my own. I think it's good to live in the present. I think it's also good to reflect on the past and consider the future.

Hmm...

I'm not sure I'd want my kids doing this at school without knowing a lot more about the program, but I don't understand why so many people think of meditation as anti-christian or anti-God? I meditate to slow down my thinking and connect with God. I never feel closer to God than when I am meditating. It does not make me feel like I am God. It makes me remember that there is a God and that by relying on him, my life is so much better.

Not to mention, there a numerous health benefits gained from meditation. My primary care physician offers classes in it because of all the benefits.

Lisa