Menu

Would anyone like to start a postcard exchange?

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

We did Valentine's exchanges from home schoolers throughout the country and every time we received one, we marked the name of the child and age on our large map.

The kids love it and so do I. I'd love to keep this going year round.

Maybe there's already a postcard exchange group? If so, I hope someone will tip me off.

Alicia

I joined the Yahoo group for postcard exchanging, I think we managed to get postcards from nearly every state in the US by the time we were done. I don't do it much anymore, only if we're traveling somewhere unusual then I offer to send people a card if they're interested:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postcardkids/?yguid=81356811

Of course, that doesn't mean you can't start a group here to do something similar -- might be fun to get cards from people you virtually "know"...

Kate

We would love to join. We have just moved to northern New Zealand. We would love to get postcards from home as well as around the world. How do you do this kind of thing? :bigear: Does someone coordinate address/emails/ages? I have never done one before but would help if I could.

Regards,

Alicia in New Zealand

dd7.5,ds7.5 (not twins), dd4.5

The way it works on the Yahoo group, when you join you post a short intro then any exchanges are handled in private emails.. I mean, I posted a short intro, then started getting private emails from people asking to exchange. They have a database where you can put your name, location (general, like the state/country), and email; so then people browsing the database could choose that way whom to contact as well.

But all the mailing addresses and agreeing to exchange, all that is done privately and individually.

Not saying that's the way it *should* be done, but that's how they do it there...

There was a WTM postcard exchange started at the beginning of the school year by one of the moms here. She started a yahoo group and the members added their addresses and you are supposed to send out 3-5 per week starting with the names after yours on the list. I'd say we are about 1/2- 3/4 of the way done with the current list. Some people are really diligent about doing it and some of us take our time :-) I'm not sure if they are going to do it again next year, maybe Kerri will pop in here and let us know.

I started a postcard swap on another hs board I frequent a whle back. I got everyone who was interested to email me with their addresses and kids' names. Then I emailed that list to all the people and we began! The biggest challenge was finding postcards though :) We had several people complaining that they couldnt' find any to mail (myself included). But we all deduced that the best place is "Fatory Card Outlet" if you have one nearby.

Good luck! It was a lot of fun. The kids and I used a large map of America and kept track of the states we were recieving. It was an excellent geography lesson.

Sounds like fun.

I can organize it if nobody else is interested.

If you want, email me your snail mail address and I'll compile a list.

My email is christielee7278@live.com. Be sure to put WTM postcard exchange in the subject so I won't miss anyone.

We should probably set a deadline for joining so I can get one main list emailed out to everyone. How long do you all think?

Hi - we do have a current WTM postcard exchange group that anyone is welcome to join if they'd like. We are finishing up our exchange for this school year, but you can join the yahoo group in anticipation of participating for the next school year.

The yahoo group is called WTM_Postcards.

Of course you're welcome to start your own... just thought I'd put this out there.

Hi - we do have a current WTM postcard exchange group that anyone is welcome to join if they'd like. We are finishing up our exchange for this school year, but you can join the yahoo group in anticipation of participating for the next school year.

The yahoo group is called WTM_Postcards.

Of course you're welcome to start your own... just thought I'd put this out there.

Sound s like a popular idea! I vote to do a new group that would start sooner than next school year. We would love to be sending and receiving postcards over the summer. Anyone else feel the same way?

Blessings,

Lucinda